Archdiocese of Boston's Reorganization Plan
  • As anticipated, the Boston Archdiocese has finally released its reorganization plan. Under the proposed plan the archdiocese's 290 parishes would be paired into 125 groups, consisting of two or three parishes, to be served by a Pastoral Service Team (PST) made up of priests, deacons, lay ecclesial ministers, finance councils and parish councils.

Parish clusters of course already exist, particularly in rural areas, but many think this new Boston plan could become a model for other urban dioceses struggling with an ever diminishing supply of priests and declining financial resources. The good news in Boston is that no additional parishes are slated for closure. Church employees, on the other hand, are nervous. (Imagine this happening in the business world!)

Of particular interest to liturgical musicians is how it will change their work environment. Will jobs be lost? Will there be added pressures to conform to particular tastes? Or is there a silver lining that some of us are just too near-sighted to see?

Any visionaries out there? How do you foresee this playing out?
  • Kathy
    I think it's become evident in larger parishes and existing clusters that a music director is not so much a practitioner of a craft (think of Bach composing all week, and conducting his cantatas from the organ) as s/he is a parish leader. The music director plans and schedules, more than plays or sings. The necessary skills are political, pastoral, and administrative.

The bonus is the wealth of parish talent that comes with greater numbers. In every parish, I'm convinced, there are volunteer musicians who just need that gentle invitation. The key is leadership.

Pastors will understand all of this, as their jobs have become similarly more administrative.
  • Pastors will understand all of this, as their jobs have become similarly more administrative.

Yes, and pigs...will fly! Celestial Pigs!

If there were volunteer musicians, they would have already come forward, if the music were not so consistently amateurish as well as bad.

Music schools do not put out students who are talented musicians who are political (if they were they would see the politics in parishes are against them), pastoral (no reason to excel at my instrument and be a shining star, instead I will let everybody else play and I will be very humble and smile) and administrative (where are the small paperclips, not of the metal ones, but those little powder-coated ones that fit between the staves and line up so perfectly).

Kathy, it's wonderful to think that the church will change because clusters are being formed.

The people and the priests are not going to change because of reorganization. Same people, no change.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • Kathy
    Not every parish is a multiplex. But many are. Some parishes could never be covered by Bach and all his kids combined. It's all about working with people, including grooming other leaders.
  • For our place as liturgical musicians I see two current movements that could (could!) contribute to positive change.
    1) the liturgical program/ path of renewal as demonstrated by our current pope- this is appealing to newer priests, and they have fewer older priests to stop them
    2) savvy business-minded priests know that solid music programs mean more people and more contributions, and solid music programs require competent musicians who also have people and administrative skills.

For the vitality of the Church, it's all about what it's always been all about- a clear identity rooted firmly in Christ and His values, which are often at odds with the secular world.

When bishops and priests want to cultivate a harvest of souls, they will have priorities that reflect this clear Catholic identity.
  • +2 to MA!
  • mahrt
    The city of Palo Alto had five separate parishes. Because Silicon Valley real estate prices inflated to the point that it took two Silicon Valley salaries to afford anything, there was a flight of Catholic families to more affordable places. Mass attendance was a fraction of what it had been. Ultimately two churches were sold and the remaining three placed under one pastor. This position defeated three pastors in succession, before things stabilized. The scars of the consolidation are still to be felt.

A definite disadvantage is that the priests are rotated throughout the parish, and the people feel a disconnect from their clergy as a result. There are numerous Masses throughout the parish, and each has its own music group. The "Music director-liturgy director" who was hired was not well received, and eventually functioned more as a coordinator than a director. Over the years, collaboration has developed between musicians, but that is partial. The evolution of a good modus operandi has taken place, but it has taken twenty-five years, and it is not complete.
  • Randolph, ironically I didn't open this topic until this languid Saturday morning (with my wife and grandsons blithely darting about as I enjoy a bagel.) Ironic as this topic has been my literal life for the last 3.5 years, I'm a pretty good fore-seer, but like Mahrt (and we've compared notes at length) I have a ton of hindsight to match my hiney, and frankly I wish the whole schmeer was permanently in my rear view mirror at this moment in our chronicles.
    My sisters-in-arms are right to look towards a brighter future premised upon everyone on-board with the clarified vision of the Church's missions encapsulated in G's famous "Save the Liturgy, save the world" motto, and from their "nurturing" perspectives and/or tendencies actual regeneration of withering vines seems reachable, doable. But there are some huge presumptions, exegencies, vagaries between conceiving a vision, exacting a plan, selling (how I loathe that part!) said plan, enacting that plan, and keeping the heart and soul of what defines a "parish" or for the PC crowd "worshipping communities (yuck)" on more than mere life-support.
    The last three and half years of my 42 hovering in naves, choirs, rectories and offices have been, overall the most demoralizing chapters of my story. God leading me to CMAA and all you, my dearest regional friends, constitute the saving grace that's kept me believing that the divine and noble institution of our church will survive the chaotic deconstruction of its human foundations by the actions of ego-driven shepherds and attack sheep that virtually run amok within very small confines simply because (spoiler alert) OUR BISHOPS, with a few notable and wonderful exceptions, present a facade that evokes images of corporate CEO's before a congressional sub-committee, or a gaggle of princes surrounded and protected by their upwardly mobile sycophants who'll simultaneously shield their prince from the rabble or the lone prophet in their midst, and then crank out some seasonal memo for the diocesan paper and parish bulletins that show their guy is just like us, in fact "one of us." And by the way, couldn't we all just dig down a little deeper into the purse and SEND IT INTO THE GENERAL FUND ACCOUNT?
    As you can tell, maybe it's not been good to run into this topic on a languid Saturday morning. But I've been in this trench and it's the Big Muddy for the most part. I don't think that Noel takes any joy by confessing his pessimism, but "same people, no change" fairly and quite accurately describes my experiences in our four parish cluster. And even if the pastor/administrator eschews the CEO approach to daily ministry/work and defers those to surrogates, there's absolutely no guarantee that he will increase his -actual- pastoral visibility and access to the folks. Say no more about that.
    Mahrt nails it with this half of his post, which ought to be emblazoned upon every bishop's and pastor's bathroom mirror:
    This position defeated three pastors in succession, before things stabilized. The scars of the consolidation are still to be felt.
    A definite disadvantage is that the priests are rotated throughout the parish, and the people feel a disconnect from their clergy as a result. There are numerous Masses throughout the parish, and each has its own music group. The "Music director-liturgy director" who was hired was not well received, and eventually functioned more as a coordinator than a director. Over the years, collaboration has developed between musicians, but that is partial. The evolution of a good modus operandi has taken place, but it has taken twenty-five years, and it is not complete.

I wish nothing but good will towards all our ordained men, and don't care how un-PC it is to wish that more of them were cut from a similar cloth as that of Bruskewitz and Burke, rather than Hunthausen or Weakland. But I hope to still be alive to see men like Chaput, O'Malley, Wuerl, Vigneron, Cordileone, Soto and such actually nurture those young men MA sees and works with (FSSP and other, even diocesan seminarians) to re-orient all our attentions back to what happens at the altar on Sundays first, and then how we share that joy in the most tangible ways with the world after "Deo gratias."
    Rearranging deck chairs alone as a solution? Feh.
  • Kathy,

I understand your point, but Bach may be the wrong example in drawing a such a contrast. His "plum" job (as the Thomascantor in Leipzig) was hardly a cushy life in an artist's enclave. Beside his teaching duties in the Thomasschule (which included other subjects besides music), he was responsible for organizing music and musicians in the FOUR principle churches in Leipzig--very much like the model you propose. His annual cycles of cantatas were both composed and thrown together in the span of his first few years. The now-recognized quality of these works causes the to stand out as something extraordinary, but this kind of liturgical composition was something that was simply expected of him, along with a host of other administrative duties. As for conducting his cantatas from the organ, there is evidence that this was not the arrangement at all. A small point, perhaps, but indicating that Bach was very much engaged in collaborative music making in the church with professional musicians, school students and others whom he taught or mentored.

Bach is in fact a very good example of the kind of music director you describe.
  • IanWIanW
    I understand the financial and vocations crisis, not to mention demographic change, that can lead to this kind of arrangement, and feel for the isolation and loneliness that many priests must suffer who serve parishes single-handed, but care must be taken to avoid a weakening of the close link between clergy and parish. I suspect similar attention would need to be paid to any over-arching MD positions in such clusters.
  • Dr. Mahrt has indeeed spoken wisdom. He is one of the few of us to have been invited to speak to a bishops conference.

I also agree with Charles regarding : "same people, no change" fairly and quite accurately describes my experiences in our four parish cluster.

I say, if anyone wants to look in greener pastures...

There's always the FSSP, SSPX, Anglican Ordinariate, Eastern Catholic and (schismatic) Eastern Orthodox Churches.

All of these churches typically have only 1 mass per Sunday and 1 music director/precentor who really does "sing".
    The churches don't close down, they grow bigger. The priests don't rotate and aren't in vocations crisis. The eucharist bread isn't made in a factory,
    the people repair the church with their own hands and sing with all their heart. I know it, because I've experienced it and it's grand. New problems do arise, but they are quite different and totally unrelated to music.

We are not all ment to create change from within the "mainstream", sometimes if we have another option, we ought to take it.
    We as individuals, can be spiritually and artistically better off with a different dynamic model of church structure altogether.
    One where "Holy Tradition" really means something deeper. Where it fully penetrates the ethos, far away from humanist and philosophical utopias.
    A foretaste of the freeing of our souls from the prison of this life.

"In a certain sense Revelation tells us that the world was created to become a liturgy, a doxology and an adoration. During the liturgy it is not on himself, but on God, on His splendour, that man focuses his attention. He is not so much concerned to perfect himself as to comtemplate the life of God, the dazzling beam of His love of mankind. This is the joy which, in a detached manner, indirectly, reflects on the nature of man and changes it. Man must not add anything to the splendour of God, which is self-achieving. There must be times when man must not search at any price after any sort of aim, moments of pure adoration when his being blossoms without impediment, like the attitude of Kind David who danced in front of the Ark. (a frequent illustration of late antique and medieval psalters.) - Paul Evdokimov

The modernism can not always be destroyed in our life times,
    sometimes it has to die without us, and we may be, at times, unable to prevent this.

It all depends where you live, what you believe and how much you patience you have.

This is not ment to discourage anyone from continuing in their present path.

Only to realize, if you have another option, do not ignore the possibilities.

Keep up the good work all you servants of God.
  • Dave
    The SSPX is also schismatic. Just sayin'.
  • Mike R
    I also doubt whether many SSPX or Eastern parishes have full-time paid music directors. At the only Eastern Catholic parish I've ever frequented, the pastor's wife leads the music.
  • Liam
    Also, in the context of Boston, SSPX has a negligible presence in New England, and the EF doesn't not attract as many as might be the case in other parts of the country.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    An amazing music program requires full-time staff and well-trained musicians.

But a very good, fully Catholic, nourishing and vibrant parish music program only requires a single volunteer with a pleasant voice and an internet connection.

I long for the day when I can run a program with multiple large choirs, children's choir, schola, a good organ, several Masses on a weekend, and festival Brass on Christmas.
    But (I remind you only because I often have to remind myself) one priest saying Mass in a concentration camp is still the Real Presence of Christ.

I worry not so much that there aren't enough parishes with big traditional programs of awesomeness. There aren't, for sure- but I don't worry about that so much.
    I worry about how many parishes, in idioms both "contemporary" and "traditional," clutter up the Real Presence with distractions, however sublime or banal those distractions may be.
  • And your point, Adam, to Randolph's distinct and direct questions, is?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yeah, I'm not really sure how that was related.
  • rsven
    Dear Adam, I think you've hit on the central point, no matter what Charles says. I work in a large parish with everything from guitar Mass to FSSP. And there are some Sundays that playing the Mass in the (carpeted) Chapel, on the piano, with no kneelers, and sippy cups and cheerios, and lots of 30-somethings families, seems preferable to me to playing the (organ) and singing for the more formal Masses. Of course, there is no substitute for the Graduale Romanum. But there is holiness everywhere.
  • rsven, if Adam's point was "there is holiness everywhere" then I'm in your debt for clarifying that. My question to Adam was genuine, not critical or agend-ized.
    Thanks and blessings.
  • Chrism
    It is difficult to see how clustering squares with canon law.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What I said was exactly what I was trying to say. I think it can stand on it's own as a statement of what concerns me regarding liturgical practice.

How exactly it related to the conversation already in progress... that's the part I just don't know (nor did Charles, bless his heart). Something about the drift of the conversation made me think, "yeah- I've been meaning to say this for awhile." Why, I don't know.

That is all.
  • nor did Charles, bless his heart.

Thank you, Adam. You can't know how much I appreciate that gift. Bless your heart!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My dad tells a story about once giving some money (a little more than would be normal) to a homeless man.
    The man responded with, "God Bless you."
    (Like Jeffrey Tucker explaining the principles of free exchange) he says that he valued that blessing much higher than he valued the money he gave the man.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I heard a great insight from our priest a few years ago:

"We often say, 'the least I can do is to pray for you.' In fact, if we truly understood and believed the power of prayer - invoking the help of God, our creator and all-powerful, we'd realize that praying is the MOST that we can do. There is nothing more important, nothing more powerful."

It's hard to remember that day to day, but it's absolutely true. Never forget to ask for God's help.
  • A belated thanks to those who responded to my inquiries.

An update: The Archdiocese of Boston, anticipating the concerns of parish employees, has scheduled a series of individual consultation meetings with pastoral associates and assistants, deacons, business managers, religious education directors and youth ministers, school principals, parish and finance councils, and - get this - musicians and “other” parish staff. The initial session for the latter will be on Monday, January 23, from 12:30 to 3 p.m. at the archdiocesan headquarters in Braintree. A second consultation, this time with musicians paired with business managers, follows only two days later on the 25th.

A couple of comments on the above: (1) I find it interesting and telling that musicians are clumped first with secretaries and custodians and then with business managers; these meetings therefore could very well be limited if not dominated by concerns totally unrelated to music. (2) Consultations are great and I’m happy everyone will have an opportunity to express opinions, yet since reform-minded musicians are a distinct minority in this archdiocese one can rightfully question whether there is sufficient political muscle to resist painful compromises.

Regarding some responses to my original post, let me remind you of one prominent characteristic that defines Boston’s Catholic culture. The old Brahmin social caste that played such an important role in making Boston a prominent cultural center may have faded into history, but a residue of that class division still lingers. The majority of Boston priests come from Irish working class backgrounds whose formative education rarely emphasized the arts. (That was the domain of the privileged WASPS and there was very little intermingling.) Unlike the clergy, however, many local church musicians grew up elsewhere. Unconscious though it may be, many in the local church leadership still harbor a distrust toward musicians whose life experiences and cultural values don’t match their own. In short, promising trends reaping fruit in other locales must wait a very long time to alter entrenched habits here. My pessimistic hunch is that when parishes do merge it may be even more difficult for a talented and enterprising music director to establish and sustain a music program of distinction. Let’s hope I’m dead wrong.

MaryAnn’s suggestion that younger, more traditional oriented priests will now scale up the ranks more quickly, and thus by implication change the musical sensibilities of the last half century, runs counter to prevailing fears. Since most of the experienced priests are older, many here are concerned that it will actually take longer for younger clerics to assume administrative positions. (And remember, there aren’t that many younger priests.) We’ll just have to wait and see what transpires when appointments are announced.

I see one positive feature of the impending reorganization: priests now living in isolation will most likely be in closer proximity to other priests. Isolation in any line of work is never healthy.

I know many Archdiocese of Boston musicians check in from time to time at this forum. Let's hear your views.
  • This past week, musicians of the Archdiocese of Boston, along with some parish office personnel, met twice with representatives of the commission responsible for reorganizing archdiocesan parishes. When the topic of severance pay began to emerge at the beginning of the first meeting, it began to soak in why so many in the large yet packed conference room seemed anxious. This is serious business and a lot of lives are about to change. Unfortunately, most of the details that will directly effect musicians have not been worked out so there were few clarifying responses to many pressing questions.

Most everyone at the meetings knew the rationale and need for the reorganization: forty per cent of the archdiocesan parishes can’t pay their bills and compared to the 346 priests active today only 185 are projected to be serving in nine years. The meetings have been useful in that they explained the criteria being used to determine why particular parish pairings are being proposed. At the reorganization website you can view this proposed restructuring. Some will combine as many as four currently independent parishes and only a few will retain their present status. (For the curious, parishes with an alignment with universities, such as St. Paul’s in Cambridge and St. Ignatius in Newton, will not be paired with other parishes.)

An interesting component of the draft reorganization plan is that salary guidelines are included. The suggested salary range for Directors of Music will be $50,000 - 65,000. I would venture that this is more than most directors currently make but the nature of their work will most likely change. As one person asked, “Will I be expected to double as a secretary?”

Much time at these meetings was devoted to polling to determine the degree of compliance or resistance to the proposals. Toward the end of the first meeting a man (whom I did not recognize) made a very eloquently worded observation that the proposed reorganization did not address the reasons for the archdiocese’s decline and that only good liturgy, preaching, and music could spark a revitalization of the faith. His remarks were followed by hearty applause. Another gentleman suggested that a musician be appointed to the commission. More applause.

Despite the idealistic goals for improved evangelization infused by the commission into their proposals, there is still an unmistakeable feel of cold corporate downsizing and I left these meetings somewhat saddened. I often play for two churches on a weekend before I travel to my primary Sunday responsibility and I’m sure this free lance work will evaporate due to altered Mass schedules. Mostly, however, I found myself struggling with change coming so quickly. Most of the free fall in the archdiocese has taken place just within the past decade and at best I’ve been barely equipped psychologically to deal with it.

I had nonetheless some positive feelings. No one questions the sincerity of members of the commission who have labored tirelessly to prepare a first draft of the reorganization plan and everyone I think appreciates their determination to involve folks at the ground level in the formation of a final plan. Having nothing but bad news come out of Boston for the past decade, and with the eyes of many troubled Catholic dioceses on us, everyone seems determined to get this right. Whether we can avoid the pitfalls described in earlier comments by Charles Culbreth and Dr. Mahrt, however, is another matter. Stay tuned.
  • Liam
    Randolph

Thanks for the update. And I don't think any parish that has experienced significant drop-off in head count (like, say, from 1800 to 1200 in just five years...) should feel that its unusual circumstances will spare it indefinitely, though I know some folks will insist on that illusion. When your head count is primarily older or transient, it will eventually be manifest.
  • While risking the disinterest of readers living outside of New England, I thought it timely to revisit this December, 2011 thread. Though still a few years from completion, the Boston Archdiocese parish reorganization plan has evolved to a point where those of us experiencing it can begin to assess its effectiveness. I’ve had direct involvement with three parish collaboratives and though my impressions hardly comprise a definitive evaluation, I see ominous patterns.

As Dr. Mahrt warned, interaction between priest and parishioner has diminished. In one parish the pastor arrives about two minutes before Mass begins and must depart immediately at the close of the recessional hymn. He has no opportunity for extended engagement with parishioners.

Although much has been made of a goal for each parish within a collaborative to keep its identity, the practicalities of governance suggest otherwise. The aesthetic and liturgical sensibilities of the largest parish in a collaborative, usually where the pastor resides, seems to become the model for the larger collaborative. Whether this is inevitable is not clear to me, but parishioners from the smaller churches certainly question whether “collaborative” is the right word to describe the arrangement.

Consider these examples involving music: In one parish with a long-standing reliance on the Worship III hymnal, the organist-choir director arrived one Sunday morning to find boxes of Gather hymnals ready to be distributed as a supplementary pew resource. She was not consulted, nor was there recognition that her parish’s fine congregational singing might have had something to do with its choice of hymnal. The rationale given was that the parish needed to be in alignment with its larger sister parish for shared liturgies such as first communions, confirmations, and the Easter Vigil. That’s a fair request, but one that impinges nonetheless upon local identity and autonomy. At another parish, the newly appointed pastor promised the congregation they would retain their “distinct and unique” personality but singled out the Paulist Center in downtown Boston as the liturgical model he wished to follow. (Boston area readers will immediately grasp the implications of this.) The music director, sensing her traditional SATB choir had just been thrown under the bus, shortly after submitted her resignation.

Publicly, the archdiocese puts puts a happy face on collaborative developments. I’ve heard very little discussion regarding the possible deleterious long-term impact on liturgy, or for that matter vocations (not all with a calling will have the special administrative talents the collaborative structure requires). One could of course foresee positive consequences such as a strengthening of the diaconate or greater involvement of laity. But am I grasping at straws?

I’ll report back in another three years.
  • CharlesW
    I never make it past the great Skinner at the Mother Church, so I haven't witnessed what is going on in Catholic parishes. What you folks say here is all I know about them.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Randolph, good timing. We (four parish merge, 8 years) just had a staff retreat and pastoral council meeting yesterday. I will mull over your assessment of how things have gone up they-uh, and compare how they are hee-ah, where we are the only cluster thus far in our diocese.
  • SalieriSalieri
    In my diocese (Springfield, MA) we had a parish closing/merger boom about 8 years ago in what the Dicoese called "Pastoral Planning". The joke among the clergy was that it was really neither 'Pastoral' nor 'Planned'. It was estimated that about 15-20% of people would leave the Church over this (how even that figure was found to be acceptable by the Bishop and his staff is beyond me) but it was found that actually 30-40% of people left the Church - that's Left the CHURCH, not "left St. Swithin's for St. Canute's". Yes, very Pastoral, indeed.

In addition, the Diocese is loosing money hand over fist with this because almost none of the closed buildings (Churches, Rectories, Parish Centers, or Schools) have sold. Now, instead of these entities generating some kind of income and being, more or less, self sufficient, the Diocese has to pay for upkeep of the buildings and land (because the local governments don't want them turning into hang-outs for gangs and the like with 6-foot tall grass in the front yard), and Taxes on all of these properties.

I asked a pastor of a merged parish what the outcome was if, say, two parishes of 100 people each were merged together. In Church-Math: 100+100=90.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    singled out the Paulist Center in downtown Boston as the liturgical model he wished to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • kenstb
    Adam, being from NYC, I'm not familiar with what the Paulist Center stands for liturgically. Could you elaborate?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    They change lectionary texts (Jesus is the "Son of Humanity"), they have vested lay people who aren't altar servers and no discernible role (and who seem to be there for no reason other than to have vested women in the sanctuary mimicing priest actions), the "choir" and band are in the sanctuary, they move the altar out of the way on big feasts in order to make room for the liturgical dancers, they alter every hymn and song text they use to remove male-specific pronouns that refer to God (even words like "Master" and "Lord" are edited), they had a "liberation theology" themed Stations of the Cross on Good Friday the included the statement that Jesus fell because of issues of economic injustice, they had an evening study class on the works of Mary Daly....
    Thanked by 3kenstb Spriggo Gavin
  • So, then, what you are saying is that they are not Catholics?
    Thanked by 3kenstb CHGiffen Gavin
  • CharlesW
    If this is the Paulist order I am familiar with, many of them are wonderful priests. Some of them, unfortunately, are charitably speaking, nuts. That order is aging and I understand from one of its members, it will be considerably smaller in the future. Is this the Paulist order or another group that uses the name?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes, the Paulist order.
  • Liam
    MJO

The Catholic Church is a roach motel, canonically speaking. Most congregants are probably still Catholics.
  • Mr. Osborn,
    (In my best Francis Urquhart voice) You might well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    Here's a photo of how the center in Boston has looked in recent years:

The place is infamous for liturgical aberrations: for a clown Mass in 1978, for invalid baptisms in the early '90s.

I went through RCIA there in 1979-80. To their credit, they, unlike most parishes, had an organized effort to assist people who wanted to enter the Catholic Church.

At the time, music was presented by rotating teams (piano/guitar/voice) which performed at all the Masses of a Sunday.

The old high altar and the crucifix were hidden by a big round projection screen for lyrics. Kneelers had been removed, except for pews in front of the tabernacle at a side altar.

If a pastor wants to use that place as his liturgical model, that probably means his liturgical and doctrinal formation was done a long time ago.
  • BruceL
    If that's what the Paulist Center looks like, I am very thankful they haven't messed too much with their parish in Austin, which is (musically) well-cared for by one of our own on this forum.
  • CharlesW
    Their parish here is not bad, either, although they do have a Protestant musician - well, Protestant if he believes anything. Must be a Boston thing.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes, the Paulist Center is notorious even among Paulists.
  • RPBurke
    Years ago, the then-director of the Paulist Center (not "pastor," as strictly speaking it's not a parish) told me that the Center served in part as a "last chance saloon" for disaffected Catholics, as well as serving its historic mission as a place for inquiries and conversions. Musically, they're probably at one pole where, say, St. Paul's in Cambridge (especially now as traditionalism is replacing tradition there, from my recent observation) is at the other.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • CharlesW
    Last chance saloon conjures up visions of priests in Stetson hats and Eucharistic Ministers in frilly skirts and black saloon girl stockings. LOL. Party on!
  • ghmus7
    When I see the pic of that chapel, I just want to get out my pruning shears.....