Vere Languores modern notation?
  • Hi - I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I'm planning a choral recital next semester for my masters' degree in choral conducting - and my advisor wants me to find a gregorian chant setting of the Vere Languores text in modern notation. I've scoured all of the resources I could - including the Liber Usualis (which isn't even in modern notation anyway) - and can't seem to come up with anything. Does anyone know where I can find a modern-notation chant setting of Vere Languores? Any and all help would be appreciated - thanks!

-Dan
  • Mark P.
    Go to this link http://quilisma-publications.info/Liber Usualis (Full).html

Then go to Pages 500-599

Then finally go to Page 21

Vere languores is from the Responsory "Ecce vidimus" on Holy (Maundy) Thursday.
  • I'm pretty sure he is looking for the Tract from the votive Mass of the Passion of the Lord, not this brief verse from the tail end of a responsory. You can see it in Gregorian notation here, e.g., in the Graduale. For some reason this one doesn't seem to be in the Liber at all, but luckily there is a modern-notation Graduale online too: open this 25MB pdf, and go to page 202 of the pdf (p. [116] of the book). Hope that's what you wanted.
  • Wonderful - I'm actually not sure which of these two to use, but I now have two options. Thank you both so much!
  • Mark P.
    Victoria set to music many texts from what we know as the Tenebrae portion of the office from Holy Week. Therefore, I'm confident that the Vere languores portion of "Ecce vidimus" is the source text. You are free to choose what you want but context is helpful here.