New adult Christmas choir
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    My pastor wants me to move forward with putting together a new adult choir just for Christmas at our parish. YIKES! (The idea is to put out feelers for the future formation of a Sunday choir, and to scout for cantors.) The parish has very few families (in spite of the Catholic school attached to it), and we see 500 to 600 people per weekend. A few years ago there was a sizeable choir here, but it was of a more contemporary flavor, and that choir evacuated the loft when their organist retired. There are ill feelings about the Liturgy being very traditional due to recent bad experiences, but somehow we do still have only boy altar servers, and our current organist keeps the music pretty traditional. Our pastor celebrates the EF often, and is an organist in a former life. It seems that there may be interest among members of other parishes in the area, since there is no decent traditional choir in the area, and a pretty significant hunger for it.

So, I'm looking for ideas for a starting choir's repertoire (even though I don't know yet who will even be in my choir!). We'd like to stick with mostly English, and throw in one or two SEPs. We will only be meeting five or six times before 8 AM Mass Christmas Day, so it has to be pretty basic.

(BTW, please pray for my Children's Choir School. This Tuesday my 21 kids will be singing their very first Mass, the Feast of All Saints, with Dr. Warren's "Dance of the Saints", the SEP Introit, and a Litany of the Saints. I was just informed today that our bishop will be there. The kids are ready, but prayers will be appreciated, especially for our digital organ, which is dying!)
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I should add that the "bad experiences" have nothing to do with our current pastor.
  • I will definitely be praying--been there, done that with an organ on its last wheeze...I am so humbled that you are going to use my 'Dance'. 21 kids--terrific! Many blessings!
  • miacoyne
    I've seen some parishes do seasonal Choirs for Christmas and Easter. For those who cannot commit to a choir all year long, but like to sing Christmas carols and so on, it seemed to work. Actually some singers end up staying as regular members. In the church bulletin, you can announce it for a few weeks, and make it sound very positive. And maybe the beginners don't have to sing everything.
    Oxford Christmas Carol book?
    I'll pray for your choirs, including your children's choir.

God bless,
    Mia