Comparison: Vatican II Hymnal to Adoremus Hymnal & St. Michael Hymnal
  • Carl DCarl D
    We have this problem with the music for our bell choir all the time, and people have developed some creative solutions:
    - photocopy and tape pages end to end
    - photocopy and put page breaks at more convenient places
    - scribble in notes about the upcoming measure on the next page
    - look on your neighbor's music
    - memorize multiple measures
    - two people share the same music

Necessity is the mother of invention!
  • francis
    It amazes me to no end that publishers do not consider practicality of page turning in their publications. I always wind up photocopying everything and taping it end to end, especially larger organ works. Now that I have gone completely digital, I size all the music to a large flat screen monitor which sits on the music desk...

Look ma! NO HANDS or FEET! ...and now, no more paper!!!!
  • marajoymarajoy
    I don't find it all that difficult, as an organist who gets to use FOUR limbs, :-) to simply grab the tenor voice for a a few notes with my RH, while my LH turns the page. (I love being an organist!)

I think it's a skill well worth learning, one that I originally learned in school when we had to conduct with our LH *while* playing the top three voices with our RH, for the entire hymn.
  • ryandryand
    marajoy,

The skill is admirable, and sometimes necessary for legitimate reasons. There is, however, no legitimacy to this skill being a necessity born out of the publisher's incompetence.

We live in an age where products of higher quality, both in their composition and presentation, and of increased relevance to the demands of the Roman Catholic liturgy, are available at a much lower cost (often free). There is no reason to defend GIA, and they no longer have any excuses (if they ever had any).

The major publishing companies were once all that was available, and competent musicians were able to "deal with it" when the products were of poor quality. This is no longer the case, as we now have so many alternatives available. The digital age offers an ease-of-access to products of superior quality (and relevance to the liturgy), and at a much lower cost (often free).

Necessity is the mother of invention, while amateur publishing is so often the mother of necessity.

Imagine what treasures will spring forth when creative efforts can be directed toward quality sacred music, rather than avoiding these scornful oversights of mediocre publishers.
  • Why include all the readings? I'd rather a hymnal concentrate on hymns. Let a missal bother with texts.
  • bcb
    Sadly, my pastor also doesn't want the readings in the hymnal, so we will probably have to go with another hymnal.... Any possibility of print on demand with no readings?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

Thank you very much for the comments regarding the Readings in the Vatican II Hymnal. If I may be permitted to ask: what is the objection to having readings? Is it not the case that those who dislike the readings can simply close the book at that point? I am confused as to the "cons" on this. Perhaps I am missing something here: I don't see a downside to having them. I appreciate anyone's thoughts regarding this issue.

In terms of a future edition without readings, let me say that the Vatican II Hymnal contains hundreds of pages of Mass Settings, Alleluias, hymns, Psalms, Readings, and ALL of the Sung Propers. At this time, I don't see editions coming out that lack any of these items. However, I've been wrong before!
  • chonakchonak
    Well, let me think up some reasons.

A parish might want to use sung psalms from an authorized psalm edition other than the one in the V2H, and would rather not deal with questions and confusions arising from the discrepancy.

Or people might think that the hymnal's useful life would be diminished by eventual revisions to the Lectionary.

And there's the possibility that a version without readings might be slightly more lightweight (i.e., a convenience for some folks in the pew, or it might be slightly cheaper.

Or they might just not like the print in which the readings are presented. It looks small to me.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hello, Chonak!

"A parish might want to use sung psalms from an authorized psalm edition other than the one in the V2H, and would rather not deal with questions and confusions arising from the discrepancy."

I don't understand this, Chonak. We used the ones printed in the Lectionary, and there are currently no plans whatsoever to revise the Lectionary (which the Secretariat reminded us in late 2011). Are you referring to the Revised Grail? That may not appear in Lectionaries for 10-15 years.

Or they might just not like the print in which the readings are presented. It looks small to me."

The Readings could not be printed in a super large font, because we had to make absolutely sure the books would fit inside the pew holders. However, the font is larger than the one found in GIA's RitualSong for the Readings in that book. And we made sure all the readings and Propers were in a larger fonts than the old "hand missals" used.

I hope these thoughts help!
  • TCJ
    JMO,

Chonak hit on one reason why some choose not to have readings in their hymnals. I worked at a church that consisted of mostly older people and one of the biggest complaints was that the hymnals were too heavy and they got tired of holding them. These hymnals had all the readings in them. Now, my solution for that is to just rest the hymnal on the back of a pew or something, but then again, the older people may need to hold it up closer to be able to read. Personally, I don't find it to be a huge reason to change hymnals, but I'm just letting you know some feedback I had regarding hymnals with readings.
  • chonakchonak
    JMO, it's my understanding that it is licit to sing psalms with the Revised Grail edition now if you want, or the old Grail edition too.

But if the cantor is singing verses from the Grail, and the pew book has the Lectionary version, then some people in the pews will fret about the difference and wonder whether it's improper.

About the font size, I think the V2H readings are in a smaller typeface than appears in most "worship aid" booklets: e.g., WLP's "Seasonal Missalette".
  • @Marajoy: I am in awe. I'm still trying to get competent with playing hymns with the melody on the great, middle voices on the choir, and bass in the pedal....the choir has to make do with watching my head bob.

I photo-copied when I was using the Adoremus 1st Ed, since the organ edition has the exact same page turn issues as the choir edition.
  • I agree with all that has been said here about the page turns in the Adoremus hymnal. This horrible flaw was inexcusable and ruined what was (otherwise) a very nice collection. What on earth put in their hearts a desire to place a page turn in the middle of so many hymns, no matter how short each was?

I really appreciate the fact that the Vatican II Hymnal and St. Michaels were much more careful when it comes to page turns. I notice that 90% of the online hymns from Vatican II are formatted for just one page. Pax!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Reminds me of the children's story, read from an edition with an ill-placed page turn:

"... and the little engine huffed and puffed and chugged into the station-yard because he needed to have a leak

(pause, with sound of page being turned)

fixed in its boiler. ..."
  • Heath
    Now that many of us have had the opportunity of collecting all 3 of these fine hymnals, I'd like to hear some more thoughts about each, as I think we'll be purchasing one of the 3 in the next year or two. My initial thoughts after wading through each a few times:

--Adoremus: Order of Mass section is great, Mass settings are fine, Hymns are all strong, though still a bit skimpy; few additions that are great fun, but completely useless, IMO (e.g. metrical English Dies Irae; very neat, but I doubt any parish would use it); nice typesetting

--St. Michael's: Same Order of Mass as Adoremus (again, excellent!), nice Mass settings, best hymnal section of them all (traditional language, couldn't think of hardly any hymns that I noticed missing), best one for a "mixed" parish that can only afford one hymnal (includes some "contemporary" StLJesuits/Haugen/Haas stuff, plenty of spanish selections). Nice typesetting as well, though maybe not as great as AH.

--VII Hymnal: Has the strongest strengths and the weakest weaknesses of all three, if that makes sense . . . beautiful artwork (though I'm not smitten with the cover) throughout, readings (I don't mind them in there) and Chab. Psalms (which I use consistently) included, Sturdy hymns for the most part. Downsides: A bit cluttered (jampacked with stuff), plenty of hymns that St. Michael has that I wish VII did, and many hymns that a) I've never heard of (fair enough), and b) I probably wouldn't use.

The ancillary materials could be discussed as well; I don't have the choral St. Michael yet (I don't think it's ready), and I don't think VII will have a choir version hardbound.

Any other thoughts?
  • BenBen
    CHGiffen,

Haha! What a great point for well placed page turns!
  • francis
    Reminds me of the latest goof of having to turn the page in the middle of the consecration in the new missal
  • CharlesW
    We have Ritual Song, which has the readings. It's too heavy and unwieldy. One mother summed it up by telling me that handling a small child and that hymnal at the same time were impossible. Weight can make a difference in whether or not people use the hymnal.
  • bcb
    Re: desire for no readings.

In my case, the pastor doesn't want people "reading along" during the readings/Gospel. He isn't going to forbid people from bringing in their own missals, but he doesn't want us providing one in the pews.
  • My worry was a matter of cost. Wouldn't a hymnal without all the Propers cost less to print and therefore to sell?

Maybe it's also a matter of hearing "hymnal" and thinking "Gather" rather than "Breaking Bread." Having seen the hardcover Vatican II Hymnal in passing it occurs to me that solid construction is not an advantage if you're really aiming to compete with the Breaking Bread brand. It is a liability. Solid construction is expensive.

Breaking Bread is specifically disposable each year, freshly printed at an inexpensive cost, so that when Advent rolls around people have something nice to look at again. This, I think, is part of its success. Missals get ratty-looking and broken very quickly. It is no small comfort when Breaking Bread gets ratty-looking that we'll replace it in December.
  • TCJ
    Cost is only bad if you're not looking long term. I know a lot of parishes don't seem to think long term, but it'd be good if they did. For my own parish, I found out that while it'd cost a couple thousand a year for disposable hymnals, they could get some nice hard-bound ones for about five thousand. Sure, it's a big chunk of change to pay out at once, especially for a church that is struggling with money, but if they keep them for ten years, they've saved a whole lot more over that period of time. In the end, the cheap ones that get tossed every season are more expensive and, in my opinion, a complete waste. They are also an annoyance to organists and singers alike because they change out the hymns, change the words, and switch the numbers constantly.
  • Again: Hymnals get ratty, and quick. Solid construction doesn't pay off, IMO, because people will find a way to trash it throughout the year, while simultaneously decrying beaten-up hymnals, finding it one more reason to complain. The crispness of a Breaking Bread right through the year is one thing going for it. For that matter, having a softcover hymnal would help out with the weight immeasurably.

Occurs to me that the missal as is doesn't make sense for choirs because of the readings and doesn't make sense for the laity because of the solidity and weight. This hymnal tries to be all things to everyone and everyone will find something to dislike, and for good reason.
  • 1. If the VatII missal is going for the laity, go for Breaking Bread's market. You'll lighten the load because you get to remove two thirds of the Sunday propers. You'll get to go softcover, and cheap softcover, and just as they do keep everything up-to-date. (How often have there been little tweaks here and there over the years? Pretty often, I say.) On the question of weight, if it's uncomfortable to carry an armload, it's impractical.

2. If you're going for choirs, trust that the choirs will know what they're doing enough to get by on a proper hymnal. Excise everything else. Choirs don't need to follow along with the prayers because choirs are usually busy doing something else, and Catholic choirs won't mind the weight. Any hymnal lighter than a Liber isn't bad at all.

3. If you're going for a long-term replacement missal, combining the best of both and so therefore you're going in a completely different direction --- well, that's an uphill battle, and more power to you. But it still isn't a hymnal. Moreover, when a new change does come, you're going to be a very bad position market-wise. Who'd want the lame-duck hymn-issal when the upgrade is two years away? Better to get the disposable missal in that case.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am very grateful for these conversations, because I like to read what everyone has to say. There certainly are a lot of different opinions! And that is what I have found since this hymnal first came out: many people have strong opinions about different aspects.

For instance, some people absolutely love the fact that the Vatican II Hymnal contains all the Readings for Years A, B, & C. On the other hand, there are also those who feel very strongly that people should not follow along with the readings at Mass, even if this helps them to follow, understand, and pray the Mass.

The response has been truly amazing, and we are so grateful. I personally haven't heard any complaints about the weight of the hymnal, because it is so much more lightweight than many of the hymnals on today's markets.

A few thoughts, if I may:

1. Regarding the idea that people should continue to pay money every few months for cheaply printed, disposable books, I can tell you that some parishes simply cannot afford to do this.

These are the parishes who are so very grateful to have a permanent book, whether it is the Vatican II Hymnal, GIA's RitualSong, etc. The Cathedral in our city has used such a book for more than 15 years.

Incidentally, I know that several of these disposable books have to be destroyed (by law): they cannot even be given to poor mission countries. I personally know several people throughout the country who have been threatened by lawsuits from the major publishers after they failed to properly dispose of what their church purchased.

There are currently no plans whatsoever for a revision to the Lectionary (many sources have confirmed this, including the USCCB committee on Divine worship source), so this Vatican II Hymnal will probably "last" between 10-20 years. The USCCB office has also confirmed that the "Revised Grail" Psalms will not appear in Lectionaries until the Lectionary itself is revised. However, it is allowed to sing the Revised Grail at Mass, for those who choose to do so.

2. The reason that we have included everything necessary for the people in the pews is because over the years so many have expressed to me that they hate switching back and forth between different books, the bulletin, the missalette, etc. and they usually just give up. For this reason, we eliminated much page turning, and included more than 100 pages of Mass Settings (Rice, Weber, Esguerra, etc.), hundreds of hymns, 100% of the Propers, all the Responsorial psalms, alleluias, all three years of Readings, Motet translations, etc. etc.

3. Finally, I would like to share with you that the response to the FREE ONLINE RESOURCES we provide has been truly outstanding.

Again, thanks for all these thoughts, opinions, observations, etc. I always learn here!
  • How much abuse have you put the the VatII missal through? Does it hold up? That, IMO, would be a major selling point. As pretty as the bookplates are, that's one of those short-term come-ons.

It looks expensive, so emphasize that how economical it is, and it looks heavy, so emphasize how easy to hold and carry, assuming such claims are true. These are practical concerns that I think would help you market a lot better. Remember, you're the new kid in town; as many parishes would find your newness a relief as would react defensively.
  • TCJ
    Ritual Song held up for a good ten years at my parish. Overall, I'd say using those saved a LOT of money compared to buying the the disposable hymnals. Sure, some of them were in bad shape, but most were still in decent shape. If the Vatican II hymnal is anywhere close to those in binding, then I think they should hold up ten years, too, no problem. Even five would be good enough to make up for the waste of money buying from OCP or WLP.
  • Incidentally, I know that several of these disposable books have to be destroyed (by law): they cannot even be given to poor mission countries. I personally know several people throughout the country who have been threatened by lawsuits from the major publishers after they failed to properly dispose of what their church purchased.

I've heard this argument so many times, and it always gets under my skin. The subscribers never purchase anything. They license the use of the texts and music in the missalette--and that is a short term license--usually 1-3 years depending on the publisher. The licensing is limited because copyright holders charge less for a license that is limited in nature, whereas there may still be a church with Worship I in the pews, and there has been no further revenue for the composers. The cost per copy would have to be higher if they were licensed perpetually every year.

I am no fan of missalettes, and do not use them, but you should know what you're licensing before signing up for them.
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Marc,

Were you referring to my paragraph as an "argument?" I did not intend it this way, but perhaps it came across that way. I was merely pointing out the utter waste of paper that this practice requires.

Curt Jester

The binding is fantastic: the most durable, long lasting currently available.
  • Not argument in that sense, but "a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point".

When I looked it up, I realized that's the 4th definition, and what I wrote could be misconstrued. Very sorry for that.
  • One pretty big potential problem as aesthetics go: I noticed the VatII hymnal has a glossy cover. Seems to me that this will scratch like the dickens.
  • One pretty big potential problem as aesthetics go: I noticed the VatII hymnal has a glossy cover. Seems to me that this will scratch like the dickens.

Fulhorst, I play at a parish that has had Vatican II Hymnal since early November of 2011. I have not seen a single scratch yet, they look great. Unlike my black Steinway piano, I might add...