Looking for a Missa Brevis for three voices
  • Does anyone know of a good Missa brevis for three voices? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Mark P.
    Three equal voices (SSA or TTB)?
  • Yes, though I'd settle for ATB as well. Thanks.
  • Mark P.
    Check out this list: http://www.musicasacra.com/pdf/whitelist1947.pdf and look under "Masses for Three-Part Chorus." The "Missa choralis" of Refice is famous (and theatrical). Perosi, Ravanello and Haller were well known. As to how to get your hands on this music, you can do an inter-library loan. There's a big catalog of holdings in various libraries (I think it's WorldCat). The University of Arizona has a fine selection of pre-VII masses as it has the collection of the late Camil Van Hulse.
  • Thank you!
  • WGS
    The Byrd 3-part Mass is set in ATB or TTB. Perhaps it's not "brevis" enough for your situation. Still, the Kyrie is surely simple enough (and beautiful too) for any choir, and there are several ways to fit it into a 3-3-3 format.
  • We've done the Byrd Kyrie, but have now been asked to find something new by our administrator. The only stipulation is that it must be "brevis".
  • Mark P.
    There's three-part music (including masses) listed in the Choral Music Public Domain resource. See http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Category:3_part_choral_music
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I highly recommend this Mass:

Missa Rex Genitor for TTB or SSA

There is a video there you can listen to a sample.

Regarding the word "Brevis," any Mass can be made into a "Brevis Mass" — simply take out some movements.

There is (strictly speaking) no such thing as a "Missa Brevis."

Different composers over the centuries have included different movements when they write a "Missa Brevis."

However, I think IN GENERAL Missa Brevis does not have the CREDO and (usually) does not have the GLORIA.

If he wants a Mass with SHORT MOVEMENTS, then Rex Genitor would be perfect.
  • Mark P.
    I respectfully disagree. The Missae breves of Haydn and Mozart are shorter in duration than the other masses by these composers and contain all the movements (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Benedictus and Agnus Dei). Healy Willan has composed Missae breves that leave out movements (typically the Gloria and Credo).
  • Here is a fairly simple but attractive three-part Missa Brevis -- Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei. There is not yet a Gloria or a Credo. If anyone decides to use it, I would be glad to try my hand at either of those additional movements.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I could certainly be wrong ... I've been wrong many times before. But it seems to me that some composers used "Missa Brevis" to describe Masses that lack the Credo & Gloria.

(Help? Anyone? Mike O'connor?)
  • Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

By the way, I've heard Missa brevis used for both definitions. That said, I was referring to the shortened versions (not the Gloria-/Credo-less versions), and I apologize for not being specific.
  • CR, I have transcribed the Antonio Lotti "Student Mass" (originally in Bb, for AorT/T/B) to F for SABar. My schola sang it for a Missa Solemnis in June and my parish choir will sing it for Christmas Eve. It is not difficult, but lovely. Both my choirs have enjoyed it greatly.

We originally were going to do it a cappella, as it was originally scored, but the newly-ordained priest who was celebrating really wanted violins, so I also transcribed the organ and two violin parts that were apparently added toward the end of Lotti's life, and we performed it accompanied. I did not like the added parts as I thought they did not add anything and were just generic, to add an 'updated (at the time :-) flair'; and in execution I did not like them (nor did the schola or the violinists, one of whom has an MM in performance practice), so we edited out great swaths on the fly in rehearsal, added in some useful doubling, and generally came up with something we thought was supportive and added without distraction. I have also created an organ reduction :-) I have recently taken up the scores again to finalize (in Sibelius) the alternative violin parts.

If you are interested, e-mail me (address in profile).
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    A master musicologist just E-mailed me this:

"Jeff, Missa Brevis usually refers to the length of a piece and a certain economy of style. You have among the Masses of Mozart the titles missa brevis and Missa longa. In the Lutheran tradition, though, Missa brevis can refer to a pair of Kyrie and Gloria movements such as those of Buxtehude or Bach."
  • Protasius
    on IMSLP you can find two three-part masses by Michael Haller, opus 4 and opus 5
  • Thank you all again for your suggestions. We're going to start trying them out this upcoming week. By the way, does anyone have a copy of Willian's Missa brevis no. 2 in F minor or no. 5 in F# minor?
  • I have copies of his Missa Divinum Mysterium (perhaps No. 8?) and Missa Brevis in Eb in my church library, and may have these others in my personal library. I know I can find the ones in the church library quickly (insert smiley indicating some embarrassment at the state of my personal score library... :-)
  • rich_enough
    Here is a mass by Claudio Casciolini intended for TTB, although it can also be done by SAB.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How about the ATB Lotti Mass for Three Voices (from CPDL).

Chuck
  • CH--that's the one I sent him in my transposition up to F for SABar (plus transcription of the very late and IMHO not very good or useful 2 vln/organ accompaniment). A lovely little mass.