Drag'nDrop Chant Typesetting System : by Koerber : (finally)
  • francis
    OK... took me forEVER to put this up. So so sorry.

Using InDesign, and a vectorized font pallet simply drag neume glyphs onto the canvas. An all right brain, mainly artistic way to set chant and it is very fast and simply intuitive.

Three tutorials on YouTube can be seen here:
    31 minutes of powerpacked fun! (well, not really, but the tagline sounds good)

Part 1 of 3 (the basics of dragndrop chant)

Part 2 of 3 (duplicating an early music manuscript)

Part 3 of 3 (compose and typeset chant in one-fell-swoop)

Correction on third video:

I put a flat in where it should not have been... (was thinking in modern notation/key centers...) in chant mode that note is already a half step. :)
  • So I have to have the InDesign software first and then is this a particular add on I have to then install to have the neumes?
  • francis
    Juan:

No, the neumes are free on the web. You can choose from different flavors, or design your own, or adjust the ones you pull into the app.

Free font faces out on the internet include Caeciliae, Gregorio, Festa Dies and maybe more. I would have to check with the owners of the fonts to see if they would allow me to distribute the font pallet I already created since they are the intellectual property owners of those fonts, but it is relatively easy to create the pallets yourself. You just type in all the glyphs and then go to

TYPE > CREATE OUTLINES

and voila! you have the makings of a font pallet.
  • Very clever Francis!
  • francis
    Fr. Spencer

Perhaps I can contact you about this project?
  • Sure thing: matthew@osjoseph.org
  • BenBen
    That's nice. Gregorio works, and makes very nice chant scores, but you could use that to maybe make custom chant art even (kind of along the lines of the front cover of SEP, or something like that).
  • francis
    Correction on third video:

I put a flat in where it should not have been... (was thinking in modern notation/key centers...) in chant mode that note is already a half step. :)
  • Francis, you're approach is essentially the same method I use for the scores of the propers posted on the Sacred Music Page of the Institute of Christ the King. However, I've found it helpful to build pallets with extensive variations on each neume rather than reconstructing medium complexity neumes every time.
  • francis
    Arthur:

Yes, I can totally understand that approach of building the complex neumes. What program do you use?
  • Photoshop Elements with neumes set up as paintbrushes.