On the effective accompaniment of chant vis-a-vis the singing
  • I was thinking the other day about one of my pet peeves in chant accompaniment, stemming from being a singer/director who prefers the chant unaccompanied but recognizes that accompaniment to chant is legitimate and can be quite beautiful and effective and helpful.

I will try to describe what frustrates me. In unaccompanied chant, the schola breathes together at the ends of phrases, then enters together on the next neume. The little 'window' of silence is occupied by the inhalation of the schola. Trained singers usually have been taught that to begin a new phrase, one inhales and then immediately phonates, i.e., there is no ready (inhale) SET (hold the breath) go (phonate) because to stop between the inhalation and the phonation creates a hitch in the phrasing and a laryngeal tension that is inimical to healthy singing.

The smooth movement from inhalation to phonation also enables the schola to properly accent the next phrase. For instance, if the first neume is, accentually, an anacrusis (upbeat), the word accent naturally falls on the following neume; if the first neume's syllable is accented, the syllable is properly accented. There is a flow that is predicated on the natural inhalation/exhalation-phonation and which serves to create beautiful phrasing.

But what I see written in (mostly modern) chant accompaniments and too often done even if not written this way is:
    sing the phrase, end the phrase (with an inhalation, which is good technique if another phrase immediately follows)
    accompaniment strikes a chord
    singers wait until the chord has been struck, breathe, and come in

An ubiquitous example of this would be responsorial psalms in the OF: in the verses, the cantor waits for a chord at the beginning of each new phrase; at the response, the congregation waits for a chord to enter, even when the cadence at the end of the verse (let alone the windmill/touchdown gesture) lets them know that it's their turn to sing.

I also see this in many contemporary accompaniments to Latin ordinaries.

To me, this 'waiting for the accompaniment' has several deleterious effects:
    1) it trains singers (in particular, those assisting at Mass from the pews) that they have to wait for something/someone to guide them.
    2) It makes the chanting from the schola and/or cantor unbelievably ponderous and boring.
    3) Repeating #1 but with respect to our cantors: it tells them that they are too stupid to sing the chant naturally.

Okay, perhaps #3 could be said more charitably: it teaches our cantors to be timid.

Why Aris' Mass in Honor of Our Lady of Good Help lead me to start the discussion after ruminating on it for a while is that its accompaniment is written to discourage this practice--it is written as I believe accompaniments should be! In general, when the next phrase starts on an accented syllable, he has the accompaniment and singers start together (and has those places marked with the quarter bar). In a few spots, when the next phrase begins with an anacrusis, he has the chord strike 'on the beat', but often there is a single note that could be held across (akin to an ison) so that it doesn't have to be "CHUNK-sing".

(I do recognize that an accompaniment notated like Aris' could still be PLAYED by the organist/keyboardist with forcible phrase-beginning chords, thus destroying the care he has taken to make the accompaniment flow and serve the flow of the chant. That is also an issue, particularly where people are accustomed to accompanying the responsorial psalm and the Alleluia and Verse in that manner.)

The other reason this comes to mind is in thinking about the teaching of the ICEL chants of the new translation. I do not want to teach anyone that they have to wait for an accompaniment in order to respond or chant; I want responses to be as natural as they are in speech: Good morning, Mr. Henson. Good morning, Dr. Warren.

Any thoughts?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thank you for putting into words something I've thought and couldn't express.
    What you're describing is a serious problem.
    It also happens with non-singing organists and traditional (Lutheran/Episcopal) vernacular hymnody.

My solution with Chant has been to ban accompanied chant from my parish.
    I don't have a solution for hymns (the bulk of the repertoire at my Episcopal job).
  • Yes, thanks for laying this out so clearly. What you describe underlies my dislike for accompanied chant, which I have mostly experienced as slow and clunky, but didn't describe so well. The exceptions are when the organist really has a sense of how the phrases flow vocally. Ideally, the organist should be able to sing and more importantly, breathe with the singers.

Your comment about natural flow of chant as speech or dialogue also underscores the role of the celebrant in setting the pattern. What could be more natural than the unaccompanied flow of: Dominus vobiscum. Et cum spiritu tuo. Or: The Lord be with you. And with your spirit.
    Aside from liturgical or theological considerations, it just starts the Mass off on the right foot musically.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I couldn't agree with you more, Patricia - and you describe the situation so succinctly. I wish your suggestions/directions for accompaniment/singing chant could be distilled into a recipe that we could hand out to organists and chanters (including priests as well as schola members).
  • Simple Rule..when the singers breathe, the organist lifts his/her hands off the keys, then entering with the singers and not before them as they go on.

The organ should be only be loud enough to support them as needed, and soft enough so that if it drops out it is barely noticeable.

Organist should observe the left hand of the director - down motions mean softer - never up motions, we'll just get louder if you do!

Grabbing a bug out of the air motions are cut offs if they ignore the breathing.

Was it Stravinsky the one who called the organ The Monster That Never Breathes?
  • Yes, by all/any means, guidance should be available for organists. The suggestion that the organist needs to be able to sing/chant along is also important. It is simply a different style than playing a hymn or other more metrical pieces. But that does not mean that the organ is inappropriate for accompanying chant - just that it must be done correctly, i.e. sympathetically with the flow of the melody line. It takes regular practice and performance - but less so than most organ solo repertoire.
  • Thank you all for your helpful comments. I was hoping that others would hear what I was hearing and that I was not simply being a curmudgeon. CH--I'll work on it, but I think Frogman has it set out rather clearly. ("Grabbing a bug"--I've also called it 'daisy-picking' with my students and don't encourage that motion, either for cutoffs or consonants! LOL)

David--that is exactly what I had in mind :-)

I am teaching two one-day workshops on chanting the celebrant's portions of the ICEL chants to priests the first week of October, so that is occupying my brain (mostly) at the moment. Then a series of one-hour chant and polyphony workshops in a parish, followed by a Saturday workshop and Missa Cantata, where this accompaniment of chant will come into play.
  • The best way to solve problems with organists is to record the Mass and then have a musical staff meeting.

Organists, for various reasons, do not listen to themselves and are often dismayed to hear what they sound like.