Schola formation while sing the propers
  • Can anyone tell me if there is a correct or preferred way for the schola to stand while singing the propers? I've seen it on EWTN where they stand facing each other in a cross. I'm interested in knowing the reason for this arrangement. Is it litugical or acoustical? We are in a loft but there is space in the Sanctuary for a men's schola.
  • BruceL
    Jeanne, how many people? My 25 or so voice SATB choir also does vernacular propers. We stand in normal arrangement to do them (A&S in front, B&T in back), although the blend is much better when we do a horseshoe or shallow oval (plus we can see each other better). My bogeyman is that the loft is big, but on a bunch of different levels.
  • Kathy
    As close to a circle as possible, is always my thought.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Horseshoe or circle. I rehearse my 40+-member university choir in a horseshoe (with several rows) even though there are risers in the room that are not 100% conducive to that formation. My principle is to make sure the people on both ends of each row can look up from their music and look each other in the eye.
  • Schola size: 2, 3, 4 or 5 - depending on their schedule. We do the EF.
  • We rehearse in a horseshoe, but the space of the lofts in which we sing (mostly wide but not very deep, and with one built-in riser that constrains what can be done) necessitates a line with the ends curved in as much as possible, with the middle on the riser and the ends on the floor. I am inwardly unwilling, except as a last resort, to have anyone with their back to the altar (including myself), which seems to happen in the circle formation, and my singers are with me on that as well.