Encouragement for pastors...
  • With a few relatively small changes in liturgical music since I became director at a medium-sized, bilingual "country parish", the pastor is receiving a lot of flack from a vocal (though small, I believe) group of complainers. He and I are prayerfully discerning our pacing and strategy moving forward, so that the vision can be kept in mind but the trust of the people earned/maintained.

There are a few attitudes (however misguided) that seem to show up continually:

1. "Latin is hard" (this is difficult for me to fathom since I've been exposed to Latin music my whole life, but some people claim to be very overwhelmed by it)
    2. "We don't like it" (I always say...give me the reason you don't like it)
    3. "We're going back in time" (ironically, this usually comes from Seniors who one would think would be thrilled about restoring music of their childhood!)
    4. "It's not comfortable for us" (sometimes going outside our comfort zone is such a novel concept!)
    5. "The people don't/won't sing because they don't know it" (this tends to come up anytime anything -- antiphon, chant, or new piece -- is new or unfamiliar)

I think all the resistance may have caught our young pastor off guard (he's just a few years ordained and in his first administration), so I am just looking for additional encouragement/insight to offer...i.e. stories of parishes that have worked through initial resistance and had positive attitude overcome the negative, etc.
  • 1. We all know it's not "hard" - most pronunciations are much easier on facial and moth muscles. And it has been 3+ generations during which it could be said that NO Latin was allowed - at least most American Catholics have been sheltered from it by their priests and bishops.

2. Oatmeal? Broccoli? Penicillin shots? Metal detectors just about anywhere these days? Get a life!

3. Actually, it's not that ironic because the vast majority of Catholics that "grew up with Latin" did no such thing. They allowed/encouraged to just show up and make sure their donation envelope made it into the basket.

4. And, of course, the Liturgy, the Holy Mass is all about "you", the congregation. The Mass since Vatican II "belongs" to the people, and should reflect each group of peoples' sensibilities. This is from the age-old congregational movement, i.e. "protestantism". This is further enforced in that this is America, the land of the "free" - we are American, and our Mass should be American. In this extreme most people really would rather be American Catholic than Roman Catholic.

5. You simply cannot please all the people all the time. The silent minority or majority, either one, probably LOVES the chance to do something better, new to them or not.

The Church is the Bride of Christ. This also means that for young Pastors, the honeymoon wears off!
  • Liam
    The vocal minority is not necessarily a minority. That is, it might indeed represent a small group; but by the same token, it can also merely be the exposed tip of the iceberg. Given cognitive bias, it's easy for us to see what we prefer to see, rather than what is. One has persuade, and not simply engage in talking points (in fact, talking points are counterproductive, because people will see in them that their perspectives are merely scratching points for your desired answers, and that will tick them off, whether they tell you or not). The best thing to begin with open, non-leading, genuinely curious answers that are not predicated on converting people to your preferred answers (if you do this well, you actually might convert them in the end; it's a paradoxical process in that respect - the more detached you are from winning a debate, the more likely you are to listen to your audience and earn their trust so that they will in turn listen to you and may be even persuaded by you).

The moral of the story is, pastors have a lot of authority on paper, but it's meaningless (or worse, self-subverting) without deep and broad consultation. Committees and ministers tend towards self-selection bias over time, and are not proxies for this kind of consulation. The Catholic monarchical model is not that of the early modern state, but of the abbot, who knows that, if he does not operate with a deep understanding of those who bear the burden of his authority, he loses that very same authority. A lot of Americans misread Roman monarchical culture in this regard, assuming that what's on paper is what it's supposed to really look like; the traditional Roman reality is that, the more power you have on paper, the more you have to rely on consultation as you actually use it. Having the right ideas is not enough, by a long shot. It takes years and years to implement good ideas well, and you have to operate on the assumption that you do not get the gratification of reaping the good of what you sow - you only get the gratification of reaping the good of what those who preceded you sowed.....
  • As much as it grieves me to report an edification of Liam's eloquent screed, there is a must read account of the efforts the late Scots Cardinal Winning doggedly and nobly made to address these sorts of issues over at Pray Tell. By far, for me, the most illuminating account of curial/episcopal dynamics vis a vis MR3/LA/ICEL/CDW and Vox Clara I've encountered.
  • As you ease things along, here's an encouraging, tangible idea.
    Ask your pastor if you can start a youth schola. Meet/rehearse weekly. Aim for Advent or Christmas to have one Mass. Make sure the rep plugs into the hearts of complainers by programming some old favorites that aren't too sappy.
    Ideas
    Panis angelicus
    Puer natus
    Salve Regina
    Mass VIII
    In dulci jubilo
    Adeste fideles/ O come all ye faithful

This could soften hearts and remove the 'it's too hard' obstacle. The youth get hooked on this music because its not cutesy and beneath their dignity. An added bonus- complaining about kids' singing makes one look quite unreasonable.
  • The moral of the story is, pastors have a lot of authority on paper, but it's meaningless (or worse, self-subverting) without deep and broad consultation.

No, the moral of the story is that no matter what, the pastor can, without even consulting his favorite caged canary, can fire you at will.....that's authority, even if its the paper in the bottom of the cage.
  • Liam
    FNJ

Yes, vis-a-vis employees, to be sure. But pastors come and go, and the flock remains; the essential inertia of Catholic parochial life is founded on the flock, not priests. The force of the flock is like gravity on glaciers: slow, but inexorable. Pastors can imagine they are really "in control", but they fool themselves to the extent they believe their own press.
  • I really do not understand...the flock really has no power aside from leaving or transferring out. Nothing that they say or do has any effect on the pastor or the bishop. Cutting off their giving works in protestant churches but is meaningless in the catholic church.

We know what it takes for a priest to get called down in front of the bishop...and liturgy abuses do not qualify for this....
  • Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Mary Ann, there was acutally a youth choir here when I came, but the group of roughly 30 was not very disciplined, and their skill level was deplorable. The previous director had done a lot of jumping-around "singing" accompanied by midis on a keyboard. Vocal and musical technique had not been developed at all. The few in the group who could match pitch and actually sing were easily "overshadowed" by those who could not. One little boy who was quite a good singer and very bright acted out all the time, and I'm sure part of it was boredom.

I am starting a bell choir within the next few weeks in order to provide an opportunity for many of these children who are interested in music but vocally challenged, as I don't have adequate time to work with them individually on their vocal skill. I do wish to have a choir/schola as well; I'm just trying to discern how to reform it. Auditions are necessary, I think...but how does one go about auditioning children and then turning some down without damaging them??
  • DougS
    I think it's the parents who would be damaged, Claire, not the children. But your question is still valid!
  • I've recently come to suspect that I've long underestimated what a red flag Latin is for many people. This issue might actually be the #1 issue. If you look at all the complaints you have received, they all can be traced to this one issue. Latin!

For those of us in this world, the Latin is just part of who we are and what we do. But for the people in the pews, it might be the critical issue that excites the opposition more than anything else. It does make some people uncomfortable in many many ways, and could unnecessarily introduce instability that could doom the whole program.

If I were in your position, I would forget taking on this battle in the ordinary, propers, or dialogues of the Mass. Leave it to later. We have quality English now that is suitable in the transition. The Latin can be left of Latin hymns after communion sung by the schola but even here, it might be a good idea to minimize it. Maybe a Latin communion chant would be the only thing that takes place in Latin.

I once believed that all parish change hinged on the introduction of Latin. I don't think that I was right about this. Just take one issue at a time and leave Latin for further down the road. I know that this is disappointing but nothing is more important than staying on the right track going forward. If that means letting this red flag issue go for now, it seems worth it to me, especially now that we have resources to accomplish amazing things without crossing into the Latin territory.
  • Jeffrey, thank you very much for that comment. I have been coming to the same realization, and to hear it articulated from someone like you is very helpful. With this in mind, what an asset that the new missal has the Gregorian melodies set to English! My hope and prayer is that we can "bridge the gap" by familiarizing the people with chant and chant-style music in their vernacular, and move toward more Latin later...
  • As I posted last spring, our parish schola merged with a Lutheran Choir and the local college Masterworks Chorale to perform Mozart's REQUIEM. It was extremely successful, so much that we're repeating the union with a Christmas Seasonal concert featuring the Bach MAGNIFICAT and Vivaldi GLORIA (with some smaller tunes as well.)
    At the first college rehearsal last night, after we'd read the Vivaldi and moved to the Bach, it suddenly occured to me that, in this union of two churches and a school, all we'd ever sung thus far was in Latin. Now the ancient arrangement has the Bach in King James/Douay English. So, I asked my co-director if it might be of relief to both the combined choir and audience to sing the Bach in English. I made light of saying "I know for a Roman Catholic to propose this sounds like heresy, but we needn't do everything in Latin." Now I know that some here would definitely cry "heresy" to the notion, but this is not just for a non-liturgical concert of sacred music, but an ecumenical endeavor. So, I very much understand Jeffrey's realization. Our familiarity and ease with the most beautifully formed language for singing ever evolved doesn't mean that everyone else is on our page.
    In fact, the resistance to its use at Mass often begins in the rectory, with either an active or passive aggression surfacing when the clerical use of Latin question is raised! So, all in moderation as necessary.
  • well, you know, here is how I see the main issues we must confront:

1. We must take liturgy from being a Karaoke hour to have it really sung by the human voice.

2. We must sing the liturgy and not something else, which means dealing with propers and not replacements for propers.

3. We need to instill a sense of what plainchant is like - it is completely different from metered music.

4. For the schola, they must take on reading square notes.

5. The entire ethos has to change from entertainment to prayer.

This is a HUGE agenda. It will consume all our efforts. The end results will restore the glory of the Roman Rite. If by adding a new language to the mix, we guarantee that the above 5 points fail, what is the point? If by taking Latin off the table we can see the rest happen, isn't this is a wonderful thing? I've slowly begun to realize that the insistence on Latin alone might have been the main reason for so many setbacks in normal parish situations.

What is interesting too is that priests themselves are not entirely alert to how a different language affects people. They studied Latin in seminary - many of them. They have sung chants in Latin in seminary - many of them. At least they know that they are not supposed to be afraid of Latin.

BUT most people don't know Latin from Korean and it doesn't matter even slightly that Latin is the Holy tongue. We can say that all we want but many people will still regard this as a weird foreign language. And it is not lost on people that it is a historical fact - and incontrovertible and undeniable fact - that the liturgy underwent a shift from Latin to the vernacular 50 years ago. We just can't ignore this and the effect that this had on parish culture.

We can make a HUGE amount of progress without taking on this battle.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BUT most people don't know Latin from Korean and it doesn't matter even slightly that Latin is the Holy tongue.

This is not really accurate.
    For many "Vatican II Catholics" the desire for multiculturalism and inclusion means that a foreign vernacular is seen as a good thing, whereas Latin, specifically because of it's liturgical heritage, is seen as a bad thing.
    Korean = Moving forward
    Latin = Moving backward
  • It's true: most English- or Spanish-speakers in the pews don't know Latin from Korean.
  • More than anything, the most basic language of liturgy is unaccompanied singing, regardless of language. And unaccompanied singing is, for most people, a foreign enough language at first to be jarring.

In most places, it seems that one would do very well to get Musicam Sacram 29 — especially (c) — implemented in its fullness, week after week, whether in Latin or a given vernacular. It also seems that in most places, the near- to intermediate-term goal of liturgical music reform will be the chanted vernacular.
  • [removed by author]
  • In case anyone is puzzled by Richard R.'s comment about "(earlier) CMAA advocates" - he of course means to say that I am selling out the CMAA cause by suggesting that change happen in stages. Just thought you need to know. He will be glad to elaborate on my dangerous opinions on the phone or email I'm sure.
  • Parishioners should have options, but they should also have access to the vision, in as close to its integrity as you can manage. Dedicate one Mass a Sunday to the cause, and support the effort through catechesis and preaching. Then ignore the complaints, which may effect your equanimity, and even your pastor's bottom line, but can never negate the integrity of the cause.

Richard, this God's honest truth, "access to the vision." And also the Great Wall between the altar and the rectory that cannot easily be breached. For some of us, it may never become an item for pastoral consideration. And lobbying even for a considerate ear is very much walking the razor's edge. In this era, it's an untenable demand upon liturgical subordinates. 'Nuff said.
  • 1. "Latin is hard" (this is difficult for me to fathom since I've been exposed to Latin music my whole life, but some people claim to be very overwhelmed by it)
    (I have had this same somewhat phobic reaction to Latin in my current parish)
    2. "We don't like it" (I always say...give me the reason you don't like it)
    (Because we aren't used to it... it's different and "new")
    3. "We're going back in time" (ironically, this usually comes from Seniors who one would think would be thrilled about restoring music of their childhood!)
    (I have a fairly old parish, demographically, and they are very unfriendly toward Latin)
    4. "It's not comfortable for us" (sometimes going outside our comfort zone is such a novel concept!)
    (Exactly)
    5. "The people don't/won't sing because they don't know it" (this tends to come up anytime anything -- antiphon, chant, or new piece -- is new or unfamiliar)

I have found that the resistance to change has been extremely high at the parish where I direct now. The funny thing is that the people continually complained about the poor quality of the music to my predecessor as well. They did the same, tired old folk tunes from the 70's every week... and some really inappropriate ordinaries. I have completely backed off from any Latin at all at this point. They even complained vociferously about the short chanted offertory antiphons from the SEP that we were doing. In order to maintain peace in the midst of the big change to the chanted ordinaries, we have reverted to the use of a short hymn at Offertory and no proper antiphons at all at this point. The complaints have lessened, since they have seen that we were responsive to their complaints. They are doing very well at singing the new missal ordinaries so far.

Where we are now:
    1. We continue to implement the use of the new Missal ordinary chants (so far, we chant: Lord, Have Mercy, Lamb of God, Memorial Acclamation, Our Father, and, beginning this weekend, Holy, Holy)
    2. The hymn selection is much more the traditional classical hymns with solid texts that are in accord with Catholic beliefs (although I do throw them a bone now and then and do a favorite like One Bread, One Body... Christ Be Our Light... or Behold the Lamb from time to time). They still complain that they don't know all the hymns, but the whining has been much less lately.
    3. We require choir members to attend rehearsals in order to sing at Mass with the choir (apparently, this was not required in the past -- given that they didn't learn new music very often, it didn't seem important to them; it just isn't possible when we have so much new ground to cover). I have had a couple of choir members quit because of this policy, but our music quality has improved without their presence.
    4. My faithful members of the choir are sounding much better and have more confidence as time goes on. Despite their initial resistance, they are making great progress in learning to sing plainchant!
    5. We changed our Mass booklets for the coming year. I had hoped for Jeff's hymnal or something else better than the throwaway worship aids, but the best I could do was that we went from Breaking Bread (which I very much dislike) to the WLP missalettes -- a slight step up, imo). I really couldn't, in good conscience, push for more since I will be leaving them in the spring. I have no idea who will be taking my place, but hopefully I'll leave the parish music program a bit better than when I found it. Many of the parishioners know that my tenure will be short, so it could be that they are just waiting me out (haha).

I wish you good luck, Claire.
  • miacoyne
    But how do anyone know that there are more complains than the gtatitude of having the sacred language in Mass. Maybe complainers are louder than those who don't? Based on 'what' do pastors or musicians really make decisions? Is the pastoral decision on how much vernacular should be used in Mass to quiet those loud complainers? Should they do a survey?

In EF Mass I attend, the opposite happened. The pastor used English for readings which is the third option that is allowed these days (one is Latin only, second is Latin at the altar and repeat in English at the ambo, and the third is just English.) There are people who don't like hearing vernacular language at the high altar.
  • miacoyne
    About the Korean, maybe we don't 'demand' our language should be used in public places as much, even if there are many Koreans in this country, and the politicians don't need to pamper us because we are pretty quiet about that. We expect to learn and use English if we decide to live here while we teach our own children Korean culture at home and in our community places and share the beauty of it with our neighbors, and I think it's reasonable to think that one tries to learn basic prayers of Mass in Latin if s/he is becomes a Roman Catholic whether vernacular is permitted or not in Mass.
  • By the way, working toward the goal with whatever tools you have, even if that means using vernacular, is not in any way inconsistent with with what was being pushed by people like Msgr. Schuler from the close of the council forward. Here is a beautiful editorial that he wrote in 1975.

"We welcome the great privilege extended by the Vatican Council for the use of the vernacular languages in the liturgy along side the Latin, and so we encourage the composition of true liturgical music in our own day in both Latin and the vernacular. We see no necessary conflict between Latin and English, between the congregation and the choir, between new and old music; there cannot be, since the council has provided for both."
  • miacoyne
    "..vernacular languages in the liturgy along side the Latin..."

Maybe the conflict exists because many are led to believe all vernacular is a norm in OF Masses and those who wish to preserve Latin has been almost completely ignored?
  • Yes, that is precisely right. This has been true for at least 40 years. Everyone in the sacred-music movement struggles to push forward in every area and in every possible way, through trial and error, and lots of sweat and tears. It is not easy. It is not made easier by people who claim to have all the answers with dogmatic one-size-fits-all agendas that completely ignore on-the-ground realities. If you read the full series from Msgr. Schuler he says that this is precisely what harmed the sacred music movement in the past and a major reason why it completely failed to stem the tide. Schuler was an incredible combination of principled advocate and practical Church musician. His sense of balance is what kept him going all those years.
  • Friends, this is very helpful. Please keep it going!

Jeffery, does your insight on holding off Latin apply to something even as simple as Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei? We began using them in Lent of this year (Kyrie XVI, Sanctus XVIII, Agnus Dei XVIII) and have continued using them for all Masses two weekends per month. Surprisingly to me, the widespread comment from both English and Spanish communities is that "we don't know what we are singing" (!). This is pretty much all the Latin that has been introduced (originally we included the Mysterium Fidei, but let that one go before long as it's the hardest and least familiar of the bunch). Yet just the regular use of these three has prompted the resistance described in my initial post...

I did chat the other day with a priest who said he was teaching these three chants to the Hispanic community at his former parish. It sounded like he introduced them only one at a time, and for several months to a year before adding the next one.

A few things I'm realizing:

-90-95% of any growth, development, or change is attitude and motivation. If people have decided they don't want something, it will be "too hard" for them, no matter how simple or easy. Yet if they are motivated, anything is possible and hard things are tackled because it's worth it. Getting them on board for the "worth it" part is the challenge, of course! And naturally, this reality applies to any area of personal or communal life -- not just music or liturgy.

-What I've thought was "not much" or "slow" change often isn't so to the people -- it's a lot to them. Real baby steps are needed for them to cooperate and have a conversion of mind and heart so that their acceptance, and then desire, can take precedence over initial emotional kickback. And as has been mentioned before on this forum, change has to be even slower and more broken down/stepwise for the Hispanic community.

Patience and perseverance...!
  • ghmus7
    This is a very helpful post. All comments are great.
    I can add my two cents.
    I always have the difficult question, how much can I push, and how much do I obey? In other words, my pastor or rector wants me to program a hymn that is poor. Or insists that we not sing something that is a good piece of music. Or forbidding the singing of Latin Mass ordinaries. This happens quite a lot. Do I obey out of the sense of the church? I have tried to object but to no avail. It seems that the reality is that clergy often 'know what they like' and aren't open to leaning, much less learning from a subordinate...
    As far as the rate of change, I think is may be even more difficult for pastors. They are used to being in charge, and that's the way the church works. Comments?
  • ghmus7
    Another thought:
    It's all in the perception: It the people perceive that the changes are coming FROM the pastor, they react differently to them than if the changes are seen coming form the MD and just tolerated by the pastor.
  • Exactly. It is always interesting to see how choir members and cantors, especially, feel about the pastor. You can easily gauge how your predecessor conveyed her/his opinion of the pastor by their comments.
  • Liam
    And, if the flock is not happy with the pastor, it won't necessarily help the MD to be seen as enabling him if the MD doesn't establish a separate identity.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Well, ghmus7, I think the problem lies with presenting this as a strict either/or choice. Either you push and object, or you roll over and comply. The best answer, I believe, is in between.

My goal is to create a relationship with the pastor which is collaborative, constructive, and supportive. Go into it with the idea that BOTH can be correct, have great ideas, and lots to learn.

In that environment, the way to raise a concern is something like, "I was wondering about these words - the way I read it, people could think it has a bit of shaky theology behind it. What do YOU think?" And be open to any answer. The goal is to have an open and honest discussion, not for somebody to "win".

Sure, this doesn't always work. But in my experience, it works more often than starting with a win/lose choice.