History of Credo III
  • It's not at all surprising that it is hard to find any information dedicated specifically to Credo III. Does anyone know of anything specific?

Many thanks.
  • WGS
    not that this helps much, but it is a bit amusing....

Willi Apel in his 1958 book entitled "Gregorian Chant" says on page 415: "Credos III and IV are hardly worth our attention, dating, as they do, respectively from the seventeenth and fifteenth centuries."
  • So much for Chant as a living part of Church tradition.

I see that CUA has 366 books on Gregorian Chant, many in French. I supposed I could start slogging through indexes of dusty, untouched volumes from the long ago yesteryear.
  • Pancho
    amindthatsuits (or is it Kenneth?) ,
    Just because you can't get an immediate and simple answer to your question, doesn't mean it isn't part of a living tradition. I bet most people couldn't tell you the history of nursery rhymes, but they're part of a living tradition.

By the way ,do you ever post on the Ship of Fools boards? There's a member there by the name of Ken, although your posting style reminds me a lot of somebody who used to post there under the handles "Eddy" and "Audrey Ely". He still posts there under different pseudonyms.
  • I meant Prof. Appel was discounting the role that "living" played in the development of Chant. I have read several chapters of the book, but some time ago, and I suspect that as a historian, he had some ideas about what "true" chant might be, fair or not. I am sure that some members of this list have been known to compose a chant or two in Latin.

No, I just bother people here...and only so much because I am fleshing out something that members thought had a good idea. (See my post on the summary of the music rules for GIRM.)

I always use A Mind That Suits for every list--it;s from Shakespeare and it is the name of my on-again, off-again blog on life in general.

Kenneth