Decommissioning the Sacramentary?
  • Has anyone else seen this recent bit of liturgical "creativity," courtesy of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops:

http://www.romanmissal.ca/sacramentary.html

"...there must be no innovations unless the good of the Church genuinely and certainly requires them; and care must be taken that any new forms adopted should in some way grow organically from forms already existing." Sacrosanctum Concilium 23

Bless this book to our disuse?

The big question remains: what are the proper chants for this new rite?

Really.
  • chonakchonak
    A new lyric for "Ashes" would be appropriate:

This book has had its season:
    With it we've prayed and blessed;
    It's going for a reason:
    We're giving it a rest.
    Oh, make our prayers more faithful,
    Our understanding true,
    The old will soon be ashes,
    As we begin anew.

The old Sacramentaries can be burned with last year's palms and contribute to Ash Wednesday 2012.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    chonak, are you suggesting that we Palm the old Sacramentaries off this way? :-)
  • The Mass for the Assumption yesterday convinced me that the problems with the current Missal are more profound than meets the eye. There is something fundamentally wrong with the language. It nearly blends in with the walls. It is almost audibly invisible. It makes no impression. It is as mundane as my socks. It is chilling to imagine the damage that has been done over the years.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jeffrey ... aren't your socks holy?

Seriously, you do make a valid point. Is it that committees are not alway wise - and even more rarely inspired?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    JT
    I think Darcy clothiers could solve your mundane sock problem.