Durufle Requiem in Kansas City - All Souls 2011
  • Hi Everyone,

I have posted several times on the events for my Renaissance schola - Sursum Corda - in the Kansas City area. Tenebrae was a success this past Holy Week, with Lamentations by Palestrina and Victoria, and the Allegri Miserere (scary, when one of the soprano soloists catches a cold the week of the performance!).

For the fall I have auditioned a number of additional singers to bring us to around 35 strong, and enable us to tackle the Durufle Requiem. We will be using the organ and reduced orchestra version, by the way.

There will be two performances:

All Soul's Mass - Nov. 2nd, 7:00 p.m. at St. Ann Catholic Church in Prairie Village, KS. This will be an Ordinary Form Mass.

As a concert (one of my doctoral recitals) - Nov. 4th, 7:30 p.m. at the Bales Organ Recital Hall at the University of Kansas. This space and organ may be just about the best combination in the world for performing the Durufle, so it's definitely worth a trip.

I have gotten feedback through Musica Sacra a number of times on our performances, so a couple notes:

For advanced singers (or those who have performed this piece recently) there are still some openings for Basses and Tenors in the choir - please contact me before the end of August, though, as we have already started rehearsals.

If you have email addresses you would like to add to our mailing list, please send them to me: jostermann84"at"gmail.com

If you know anyone in Kansas City who might like to support this effort, please let me know - we are currently halfway to our fundraising goal for hiring the instrumentalists.

Thanks for your interest, and check out the website for more info (now with a new feature article from the archdiocesan paper) - www.sursumcordapolyphony.org