Summary of Norms for Congregational Singing for the New Missal
  • All right folks, here we go, my first stab.

In thinking over what I would like as the proverbial "clueless, panicked volunteer music leader," I would like this. In fact, I would do what I just did: schematize it so I could see it all laid out.

Formatting of course went all screwy at the transfer from Word. We will work on that.

Please feel free to offer any corrections of wording, etc, but particularly any misstatements of the norms. For those of you who want the Graduale Romanum responsorial to be given "pride of place" should attend to Paragraph 61, which, in the section applying to ALL English language jurisdictions, and not just the US, says clearly, "The Responsorial Psalm should correspond to each reading and should usually be taken from the Lectionary." Sorry. I am a "Rome has spoken" kind of guy.

I seem to rapidly be coming down with a summer cold, so I am abandoning ship. Mistakes may have gotten through. I am not in my office, so I may have written "Missa de Angelis" where "Missa Primitiva" may have been correct, etc.

DON'T POUNCE. I have about had it with the pouncing. Get thee behind me, sarcasm.

If you see a mistake, let me know. This idea is going to get developed further. I would love to hear reactions about how useful it seems. Could it be altered? I have plans to add guides about which books to use, etc, although I need to learn a little bit more about what is currently licit and what isn't. Don't worry about that so much. I just mean, does it display the norms helpfully?

Thanks.

Kenneth

Sung parts of the Order of Mass for the Congregation according to the 2011 General Instruction on the Roman Missal (GIRM).

Numbers indicate paragraphs in GIRM.

The chants in the Roman Missal are the preferred setting of the Mass. The chants may be studied with the help of videos on the website of the Archdiocese of Boston.

I. Entrance (47,48)
    The Entrance Antiphon or other approved text must be chanted. The chant begins “as the Priest enters with the Deacon and ministers,” and is continued during the procession. It may be sung by a cantor and a choir, a cantor and the congregation, or the choir alone.

In the United States, there are four options:

The first two are always licit:
    1) A. The antiphon from the Missal, or
    B. The antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum;
    2) A. The antiphon and Psalm from the Graduale Simplex;

The next two must be approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop;
    3) A chant from another collection of Psalms, including responsorial and metrical forms;
    4) Another liturgical chant suited to the sacred action, day, or time of year.
    English translations exist for all four options.
    No mention is made of a hymn or song for the entrance.

II. Kyrie: a chant. No mention is made of a song setting.

III. Gloria (53)

An invariable part of the Mass that must be sung according to the approved text. GIRM refers to singing the Gloria, but the Bishops and ICEL have asked that congregations give special attention to the Chant that is found in the Missal.

IV. Responsorial Psalm (61)

There are four options for the Responsorial Psalm.

The first three are always licit:
    1) The Responsorial Psalm from the Lectionary. GIRM says that the Responsorial Psalm should “usually be taken from the Lectionary;
    2) The Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum; or
    3) The Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex.

The last option must be approved by the Conference of Bishops or by the Diocesarn Bishop:
    4) An antiphon and Psalm from “another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form.”

In many discussions of these options, No. 1 tends to be referred to as the “Responsorial Psalm,” while No.2 is referred to as the ‘Gradual.” GIRM refers to all options as “the Responsorial Psalm” and differentiates according to the terms used in this list.

V. The Profession of Faith (Creed or Credo) (67, 68)

The preference is that the Creed be chanted according to the Chants of the Missal.

VI. The Offertory Procession (74)

The Offertory Procession is accompanied by a chant of the offertory antiphon “at least until the gifts have been placed upon the altar.” The norms for the Offertory are the same as those for Entrance.

In the United States, there are four options:

B. The antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum;

The next two must be approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop;
    5) A chant from another collection of Psalms, including responsorial and metrical forms;
    6) Another liturgical chant suited to the sacred action, day, or time of year.

No mention is made of a hymn or song for the offertory.

VII. Sanctus (79b) and Memorial Acclamation (79e)
    The preference is that the Sanctus and Acclamation be chanted according to the Chants of the Missal.

VIII. The Lord’s Prayer (81)

The preference is that the Lord’s Prayer be chanted according to the Chants of the Missal.

IX. Agnus Dei

The preference is that the Sanctus and Acclamation be chanted according to the Chants of the Missal.

X. Communion Procession (87)

The chant of the Communion antiphon begins “while the Priest is receiving the Sacrament.”

In the United States, there are four options for singing at Communion, which are slightly different than norms for other parts of the Mass:

B. The antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum, either one “as set to music there or in another musical setting”;

3) A chant from another collection of Psalms, including responsorial and metrical forms;

4) Another liturgical chant suited to the sacred action, day, or time of year.

Paragraph 88 of the GIRM states: When the distribution of Communion is over, if appropriate, the Priest and faithful pray quietly for some time. If desired, a Psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the whole congregation.

XI. Recessional Hymn

No norm is provided for the Recessional Hymn. However, all music for the Mass must “correspond to the spirit of the liturgical action and…foster the participation of the faithful.” (41)

Paragraph 41 includes this note: Since the faithful from different countries come together ever more frequently, it is desirable that they know how to sing together at least some parts of the Ordinary of the Mass in Latin, especially the

Profession of Faith and the Lord’s Prayer, according to the simpler settings.

Indeed, the new Chants of the Missal follow closely the familiar Chants of the Gregorian Missa Primitiva. It should therefore be a simple matter to introduce the simple Latin Chants into the Mass at special times, such as the penitential seasons of
    Advent and Lent.

Both as Cardinal and as Pope, Benedict XVI has expressed the desire that the faithful be able to worship fully together at international meetings, and has suggested that all the faithful learn how to sing the Kyrie, the Gloria, the Credo, the Sanctus, and the Agnus Dei in Latin. Many people around the world know the Gloria and the Credo from the Gregorian Missa de Angelis. Suitable occasions can be found for introducing the faithful to the the ageless bounty of grace found in this glorious music. Children are often very receptive to its simple beauty.
  • No mention is made of a hymn or song for the entrance / offertory .

I believe we've had this discussion before, perhaps many times. Many readers of this forum may interpret "another liturgical chant" as something comparable in style to Gregorian chant, but the broader Catholic populace will not. To them "cantus" will mean "song" and thus hymns and other forms will be considered licit. I suspect most bishops share that view and therefore it's probably futile to argue the point. Better to let chant, as CMAA members understand the term, make its own case by simply being experienced.

Other than that, I think your summary is quite useful.
  • That's a good point, actually--not to interpret it. I'll take that out. I wasn't part of that discussion.

There's going to be more to it, with group help. How integrate Chant will be a part of it.

It is true that English has many words (typically) where Romance languages, especially Latin, have relatively fewer words. Overtranslating. As I said, I am a 'Rome has spoken' kind of guy. (Anyone who wants to get into how inferior English is, supposedly, can take that off line to my blog email, amindthatsuits@yahoo.com ) English has by far the largest vocabulary in the world and that makes translation a little dicey. I had wondered about that, translating it back in my head into Italian, where Canta Gregoriana could easily be translated back again as 'Gregorian Song."

I think Jeff T's comment, in a post where he stressed 'over time,' is probably correct.

Many thanks.

Kenneth
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Also worth mentioning there is no antiphon for the Offertory in the Missal (English or Latin editions). Your only source there is the Graduale.
  • Wow, you know, this is an extremely useful summary, all the stuff from the GIRM that the choir needs to know. Let me know when it is stable and then we can make a PDF for distribution. Really good idea!
  • SkirpR--isn't that also true of the Communion antiphon? See, lots to learn...
  • Jeff--

Many thanks. As you know, this is what I would want...and as I may be getting back into parish music, what I will use. However, much work remains to be done, and I have to prepare for class in two weeks, so I am going to take all the useful threads from this site, going back from before I became active, and really work it over to be useful. There has to be a page on why Chant is not scary--e.g., how to use the antiphons with other music, the way they do at St. Matthew the Apostle. &c.

It is going to take some work, but thanks for the support. Speaking of getting back to work...

Kenneth
  • chonakchonak
    There is an additional option for the Responsorial Psalm, which you may want to integrate:

"However, in order that the people may be able to sing the Psalm response more easily, texts of some responses and Psalms have been chosen for the different times of the year or for the different categories of Saints. These may be used instead of the text corresponding to the reading whenever the Psalm is sung." (GIRM 61)

That is: instead of the responsorial psalm specified in the Lectionary for the particular Mass, it is lawful to sing (NB) a responsorial psalm according to the season (or according to the category of saint), also provided in the Lectionary.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Kenneth--

The Entrance Antiphon (Introit) and Communion Antiphon both appear in the Missal (Latin or English editions) as well as the Graduale. The Offertory Antiphon appears only in the Graduale.

I hesitate to bring this up again, since it is often discussed and debated here - but since you're new it will do you well to be aware - the antiphons in the Missal do not always correspond to those in the Graduale. There have been many good explanations of this Vatican II complication which I'm sure someone else could point you to.
  • I believe I read in an article in the Adoremus Bulletin that the antiphons in the Missal were meant primarily for a recited Mass. The music from the Graduale should be sung when musical settings were employed. I'll see if I can find the article and citing.