New Guy Here - Starting a New Music Director Job - Help Needed
  • Hi everyone,

My name is Jacob Flaherty. I've been involved in Sacred Music my whole life. I'm wondering if anyone out there have some advice for a guy like me.

I started singing as a boy soprano back in 1992, and have been in a church choir/organist position ever since. I grew up in a parish that was very unique. The Church of the Holy Childhood in St. Paul, Minnesota was known for their Schola Cantorum, singing orchestral Masses (but little chant) by the likes of Haydn, Mozart, Gounod, Vierne, Franck, Rousseau, even Puccini. We also sang a good deal of anthems from the British school (Vaughan Williams, Perry, Howells, Ireland) and hymns with a vigor I have yet to find in any Catholic parish I've been to. With just the organ we would sing harmonies and descants; when the orchestra was there we'd do bombastic renderings like this:
    http://homepage.mac.com/markhagel/hc/2010-04-04/02%20The%20Strife%20is%20Oer.mp3
    Note: I found this on their website; I've been away from that parish for six years now.

Basically, I'm starting a new job and feel like a musical mut. I've just learned in the last two years about the EXISTENCE of the propers; I did buy the Simple English Propers book and am VERY impressed. I have also recently begun learning as much Palestrina, Byrd, Tallis, etc... as I can.

I need some help focussing here. My pastor is dumping the OCP in favor a hymnal that I am to choose (with his final approval). The parish IS used to the guitar-folksy stuff but they are (according to the pastor) very willing to move, they just need to be shown how. Any advice on how to get this ball rolling, given my background? You don't have to offer any comprehensive plan, just a tip or three. God bless you! I'm looking forward to learning from you!

Jacob
  • Hi Jacob and welcome!

What a great opportunity you have. Your pastor sounds like a wise man, but what he didn't say was "there will be a small group of people who will make a lot of trouble." It is inevitable and you should be prepared for it. You won't be able to convince them but you can be positive and sincere and, most importantly, kindly firm about your plans. Being aware of these people is important, but you can't let them make your life miserable. You are doing a GOOD thing, after all. Best wishes and keep us posted. Oh yes, one more thing. People will go along with you if you explain things positively and bring them along slowly so that they see where you are going.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    For now, I would just suggest a small readings-only pew resource from Liturgical Press or WLP or someone. Then use SEP, Missal chants, motets and things, and then print a recessional hymn in the weekly program. You are done!
  • Oh, Lawdy.....(Welcome from the Left Coast of CMAA, Jacob)....what a ladder you gots to climb!
    But this is proof of either two things, people, one apocryphal, the other apocalyptic:

*There is going to be one parish in Minnesota where "Gather Us In" will NOT be the pro forma "Welcoming/Gathering/Pimping our Faith Community" music.

*Jacob's going to get real familiar with sheep with teeth!

I say, when all else fails, do a different Bach Cantata each week, and if they question that, tell 'em Garrison Keillor said it's okay to be Lutheran in a RCC in MN.

Peace/Out,
    C-Dawg, long of tooth, short of brains.....(and Noel hasn't chimed in yet, oooohhh, shivers)
  • You need to approach everyday as if it is your last...in that job and that parish. If you make it to the end of the day, consider yourself lucky.

Order a copy of When Sheep Attack, by Dennis Maynard. Read it and make the deal with the pastor that this book recommends, and you will find yourself at the end of each with still employed.

Seriously? This is serious!

How'd I do, Charles?
  • You still da Man, Noel.
    Perhaps the only thing I could add, Jacob, to Noel's sage advice (as we sages are old for a reason):
    You need to do what you think is best, projecting a true confidence that you don't give a sh*t what others think, tho' you'll veddy politely listen to their concerns.
    Get up to speed on ever' darn liturgical and musical aspect of your gig ASAP.
    You have to, again, project to anyone, particularly your pastor, that your liturgical game-face is for real, even to the point of convincing him that it's more resolved than is his.*
    But don't push. Defer, "collaborate," go so far as to make a decision without authorization and then sell that decision as having been "the Pastor's idea."
    And, as Noel intimates....be prepared to be fired, and even more powerfully, to resign at a moment's notice.
    I remember, in my long ago past life, my middle school kids showing up to school with shirts bearing the logo "No Fear."
    They didn't have a clue how true that cliche rings; stand and stride through the temple grounds as did our Lord among the money-changers.

*See Mahrt, Wm., "We'll sing an English ordinary or proper as soon as a worthy one emerges. Thank you, Father." (or words to that effect.) That was forty plus years ago.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I don't know what you've done the past 6 years, but your beginnings were charmed, and it's possible that in a sense you haven't suffered enough with bad music. That could be a plus or a minus, but it's something to be considered, because your reality of church music has not been theirs. In addition to the above: know your church documents! When somebody spouts "spirit of Vatican 2" at you, you need to have the letter of V2 at hand. A council of the Church trumps everything...except your own pastor.
  • Thanks everyone. Your comments are helpful. Jeffrey, you are right, in a sense. The one benefit here is that I have played at a few parishes that have done the Haugen-Haas-Joncas stuff; that may have been what lead me out of there. Right now I'm looking at the St. Michael Hymnal but have recently found information on Jeffrey Ostrowski's Vatican II Hymnal. What do you all think of these?
    Again, one problem with having a hymnal is that it can be an "occasion of sin" for the director of music. It is just too easy to point and sing. If you don't have a hymnal at all, you will tend to pick recessionals more carefully and use music that is integral to the Mass itself. Denying yourself that easy out from liturgical music is a good thing. The choir then has more responsibility, and people don't have a giant book in the pew to distract from the liturgy itself. Plus, right now there is a good excuse to wait as long as possible before doing anything: the changed Mass texts and the changing musical culture of the Catholic parish. You might find that if you can go a year without a hymnal that you won't need one.
  • Sitting at Eucharist in a Episcopal church, tremendously moved by the newly composed anthem on Sunday as I was able to follow the George Herbert text from the bulletin, I became very sad that Catholics are consistently denied the opportunity to knowing the words that are being sung by the choir.

The psalm was chanted in anglican chant and the choir interpreted each verse with further interpretation by the organist in choice of stops.

Being denied the text of the music of the propers, the motets, translations of the Latin, relegates the music to background and elevator music status in peoples minds, since they hear the sound but cannot connect the words and experience the emotions.

Evil Protestants have loved to pontificate on the sins of the Catholic church in denying people access to the Bible. Today Catholics are denied access to the propers texts and motet texts of the choir for reasons of laziness, cheap pastors and a total lack of regard for people in the pews. These are sins of the church.

The worship bulletin costs cents and shows that this parish wants active participation in the true sense of Vatican II.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If I had my way, I wouldn't use a hymnal- even (especially?) at my Episcopal job.
    Anecdote:
    A couple weeks from now I have programmed "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation."
    Chosen specifically because of the following two verses:

Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
    Who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
    Biddeth them cease, turneth their fury to peace,
    Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.

Praise to the Lord, who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
    Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
    Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
    Saints with His mercy surrounding.

But guess what...
    Those two verse are NOT in the 1982.
    So it goes in the printed program.

When I first started working there, I programmed "Be Thou My Vision," specifically because of the verse with "riches I heed not, not man's empty praise"
    Hymn is there, but not that verse.

Half a dozen boring settings of various translations of the Pentecost Sequence (which they don't use as a Sequence, because they don't know what that is), but "Come Holy Ghost" is NOWHERE to be found.

You could chalk this up to problems of the 1982 specifically (which are legion), but EVERY hymnal has these kinds of problems, because a book with pages can't possibly have EVERYTHING. So something is left out.
    And of a dozen extant versions of some particular text or melody (OMG "Holy God We Praise Thy Name" !!), the editors had to pick ONE.
    If you're lucky, the editors left out the same things you would choose to leave out, and picked the versions of texts and tunes and harmonizations you would, but I haven't yet found a hymnal where that is the case consistently throughout.

The Propers-only crowd dislikes hymnals because they are full of hymns.
    The hymn-loving crowd dislikes hymnals because they are not full enough of hymns (and all their verse).

Use a printed worship-aide and feel the sweet wind of freedom on your face.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Amen, Jeffrey. Amen, Noel. Amen, Adam.

And when you do have to select a hymnal, for the love of God and music, please eschew melody-only hymnals!
  • Will do, along with obfuscation, I will eschew melody-only hymnals.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Which largely available CATHOLIC hymnals are NOT melody-only? We use Worship III and only the choir editions have harmonies. JMO's excellent Vatican II hymnal appears to be melody-only. I've seen plenty of Protestant hymnals that feature SATB harmonies, but never a Catholic one.

Consider this part of my education ;)
  • CharlesW
    I don't understand the fascination with SATB hymnals. I have always considered that a Protestant tradition, not Catholic. It must be a "singer" thing.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I treasure my Pius X and St. Gregory hymnals ... both SATB hymnals. Why and when melody-only Catholic hymnals became the norm is somewhat beyond me ... cost? post-Vatican II? For a bass or alto (or even a tenor) in the pews who likes to sing, it's a pain (and perhaps a snub) not to have available a singable part in his/her range. No wonder the question has been asked (and written about): Why don't Catholics sing? ... They should!
  • It's simply because editors think Catholics are stupid and cannot read music. Any hymnal that does not have SATB in it is a sign of lack of interest in good music in the church and perpetuates the practice.

St. Gregory Catholic hymnals sometimes were melody only, but that was done to cut costs to parishes. And has become popular. There are some 1900's unison or two part hymnals that were created for convents and women's school...

I am sure that when singers were given SATB music for the first time, they had trouble accepting it having been used to sheets with only their parts on it. Did they refuse to accept SATB? Hardly. Catholics never learn. They delight in repeating mistakes....and the unison melody hymnals are a great example of this.

Of course, I realize that I have just offended people who have their own opinion about what people want to buy and, well, I am sorry.
  • CharlesW
    From my own memory of such things, hymn singing was not common in Catholic churches in this area until the 1960s, after the Council, of course. SATB was the norm in Protestant churches in the area. Who knows what trends were popular elsewhere. Although I am not a real singer, I do understand the difficulties of different voice parts trying to sing unison. My congregations sing reasonably well, but some folks have no desire to sing anything - and don't. The best hymnody was always in the Anglican tradition in my area, and still is.
  • The USCCB's should be dressing in disguise and dropping in at any of a number of episcopal churches such as the one I was at last Sunday to see what the OF Mass could be, both in liturgical style and music, CharlesW is absolutely right.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I love SATB hymnals, for the wrong reasons. I sing harmony because I can, and people notice. The last time I showed up at a Lutheran church, I was almost kidnapped. But it's a liability in some ways...not just because of pride, but because organist have this strange habit of playing verses with totally unrelated chord changes, and you have to gracefully transition from the no-longer-harmonious harmony part back to the melody. If you actually USE them, you stand out. Music notation and sight-singing were the Church's gift to the world...and why not? W're no longer using them for anything.
    I sort of agree about SATB hymnals, just because melody-only hymnals are rather insulting to me. I was shocked the first time I saw one.

And yet, it is true that most Catholics today can't even read the melody, much less parts.

Really, the answer here is a completely new model: propers for the schola, ordinary and dialogues for the people, plus motets and a recessional hymn (chant Latin or English hymn). to me this makes the most sense and avoids the whole hymnal controversy.
  • Jacob,

You are in a position where you can make some wonderful music. There will be people who hate what you do and treating them kindly and being understanding and willing to talk with them will turn them over a period of time into your strongest supporters.

You will be amazed at the change in these people. The average Catholic will not respond much to what you are doing, but these other people who do respond will make you very happy...some of them will be old people, others will be young. Of course, there are also those who will fight and complain about what you are doing and, what is surprising is that they have no reason for their complaints.

You will find people who hate the pastor but hide it, instead making your life and the life of others in the parish interesting, to say the least.

Stick tight to the pastor, like glue. Share a meal with him at least once a week. If at anytime you feel you are losing touch with him or people are inserting themselves between you and him go to him immediately and tell him what you are feeling.

You will find there are going to be two cantors who give you trouble. Have all the choir members and cantors write about themselves and make sure that they include a list of all the parish activities they are involved in. These two cantors will have the longest list of groups that they participate in. One of the two cantors will be a woman who thinks she runs things, volunteers for all sorts of things that you need done, arrives late for rehearsals and everything you do and fails to do the work for you that she has promised to do. The male cantor will be a member of the KOC and an officer of the organization. He will wear a three piece suit and stand around at Mass with a look of disapproval about everything he sees. He will work hard to make your choir miserable, to the point of trying to lock the door if they are late for rehearsal.

Yes, I know that this sounds as if every parish has stereotypes. And they do.

In everything that you do always remember that eventually you are not going to be at that parish forever, so plan everything with an eye to the day that you leave. All fights are worth fighting and the harder you work to overcome the evil that you will find, the better you will feel about what you did while you were there for years after you have moved on.

If, however, you end being there forever, you will find people staring at you wondering how you did it. And people will call you Dr. Mahrt!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The above people are all being discouraging to you because they've had bad experiences. It is possible that you can do this without the above stress.

Four years ago I went to a parish with a gospel choir and turned them into a Gregorian schola that chanted the Introit and Communio every single weekend. I did so with little or no resistance, only moderate support from the clergy and the choir being apprehensive all along the way. The key is to do things smartly, to fly under the radar, and to befriend those one or two choir members that might be opposed. Meanwhile, recruit younger choir members who are open to change, develop networks with other DMs in the area who are sympathetic to the cause or who are fighting the good fight themselves, and again.. FLY UNDER THE RADAR.

The first year we introduced limited amounts of Gregorian chant while slowly moving away from the gospel music, other than specific occasions that had been "extra gospely" in the past.

The second year I did some Communios, kept up with the chant (stuff like Veni Creator), and moved further away from the Gospel stuff. Sweeping it slowly under the rug while stacking really nice furniture on top of the rug.

The third year I just started doing Communios and Introits every Sunday - no discussion with the clergy or congregation or choir. No big bulletin announcement. Nothing. We just did it. In addition to the better hymns that I had introduced.

Sometimes its best to just fly under the radar, do things slowly and don't make yourself a nuisance. Stay out of the spotlight, don't make yourself out to be the savior of a program or a star. Just execute the music necessary and do it really well. If you don't have a really musically-obsessed Pastor, if he doesn't see you, he probably won't say anything. So don't stay in your office too much.
  • Matthew, all due respect, but I think you situation was unique. Changing music at Mass is anything but "under the radar". Someone's going to notice. You were fortunate that no one was brassy enough to call you on it. In my experiences, that is unusual. The dirtiest word at any parish is "change."
  • marajoymarajoy
    going back to melody-only hymnals...
    I have decided very recently that as an organist, I actually prefer melody-only for the congregation. I like the option of doing interesting harmonic things with the accompaniment, and it's enough as it is for me to hiss at the choir, "melody only this verse!!!"
  • There is no danger of Catholic congregations singing in parts. It's dying out in all the mainline Protestant churches and likely will be a thing of the past as participatory music recedes from living memory. In a way, it's good news for scholas. Full circle, folks.
  • CharlesW
    Our choir hymnals have 4-parts, but I tell the choir to sing melody on the last verse. Sometimes I do organ descants or harmonizations that will not work for SATB.
  • Mike R
    JIF, I would second the suggestion to print your own program each week and get LP's readings-only missal. It's really the best way to go: you can program whatever you want, and that includes being able to do a smooth transition from folk to better music.

A program also puts everything in one place in the right order, which I think is going to be huge with the translation change. People are going to get frustrated very quickly if they, for example, have to go from reading the Confiteor from a pew card to singing the Gloria from a Mass setting assembly card to following along with the readings in a missal. Even if you're using everything from the hymnal you choose, people are going to be flipping all over the place.

I really like the St. Michael Hymnal, but without a Psalter you're going to have to get Psalm settings somewhere anyway. The LP readings missal does have a decent Psalm setting in it, so that's not a bad option to couple with the SMH. A third option is to get LP's Sacred Song three-year paperback hymnal. It's solid and has pretty much everything you would need in it.
  • MatthewJ brings up an interesting point.

How many other people on this list can attest to this happening with them? Smooth sailing?

This is a very common situation in protestant churches, but rarely in catholic ones, unless a pastor is running interference and dealing with complaints and not relaying them on to the musicians.
  • $.02:

If the congregation has been using trash for music for a long time, begin by recognizing that they don't really understand the Mass. For this reason you should teach them several things, in this order:
    1) Solidly Catholic hymns to sing at Communion. By solidly Catholic I mean something like the Anima Christi, or Adoro te, or Jesu Dulcis Memoria. Until they learn to focus on Christ, the Mass is "What WE do". Even if they have to start in English with these, they must start, and this is the place to begin.
    2) There is a Communion Antiphon which is sung between the Ecce Agnus Dei and anyone's reception of Holy Communion. Start with a simple version if there isn't the musical talent to do otherwise.
    3) ORDINARIES. Please have them learn Orbis Factor, and explain that this is very much in keeping with Vatican II. Even if you have to go slowly, there is more worth in spending time learning these ordinaries than in wasting time trying to fight over other hymn choices.
    4) Dismantle, remove or cause intentionally to malfunction any and all microphones in the place.
    5) Forbid any cantors who exist from trying to land a C-130 on "a storm-tossed carrier at sea" in the performance of their duties.
    6) Print a weekly list of used music for the congregation to use. In the case of the ordinaries, print the entire Mass, even if you don't use it all at once.

Chris
  • Noel, never been fired (yet.) Current tenure, eighteen and counting.
    But nothing's ever "smooth sailing." Ever.
    Sometimes you have to stand your ground like Michelangelo, other times you might need to be Julius II. Nice to be St. Philip Neri for long stretches, or even St. Francis of Assisi. Point is, one's resolve in this kind of ecclesial environment needs to be just like the fellow who sold it all in order to acquire the pearl of great price. That was the point of my "Mahrt" anecdote above.
    Matthew, btw, I have war stories and battle scars like everyone else, but my gig found me, saved me and sets me fweeee!
  • Carl DCarl D
    MatthewJ, thanks for chiming in. I have to confess that my experiences were largely positive as well. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a thread about the POSITIVE things that help us succeed, rather than spending most of the time talking about obstacles? That's why I haven't piped up till now.

What helped me to see success in our schola?

1) A music director who loves chant. She doesn't force other choirs to sing it except for a couple of experiments during Lent, but she gave me pretty much free rein. When I started out, she reviewed all my selections in advance, but that only lasted about half a year. After that, she trusted my judgment.

2) Priests who were reasonably supportive. It wasn't their primary choice, but probably more based on the number of complaints they feared or actually received.

3) Making sure that the people in the schola were having fun, being appreciated, and learning all the time. This gave me great latitude to try new things, some of which were quite wonderful. (The big complainer in the group, by the way, got discouraged because he couldn't push me around and he ended up quitting.)

4) Not pushing things faster than I thought possible. As a consequence, in 6 years we rarely sang Communios and never sang Introits. Call me a wimp, but the result is that parishioners didn't feel like the Mass experience was totally foreign to them.

5) Re-energizing myself at the Colloquium and other workshops and group experiences. It gave me lots of ideas, courage, and I loved learning along the way. It helped me to recognize that it's not about my success, or about "smooth sailing", but about bringing people to God.

I'd love to hear more from people about what's given them energy and success!
  • This is great, everyone! Thanks for the thoughts. My pastor recently told me that the people will "be with you" but that I might have some trouble with the three or four groups that currently exist. If I wanted to start a schola type of choir, as the pastor desires, how would you go about this? Use the current singers somehow and transform these folk groups into that, or start a-fresh while not dismantling their groups for a while? I will have the benefit of teaching the kids in the school and could use them on Sunday Masses... Thanks, all!
  • Carl DCarl D
    With the support of the pastor, you can do wondrous things. But I encourage an "all are welcome" approach, not an opposition. Invite people to sing in the schola who are interested, no matter where they come from. If people don't like it, fine, there's plenty of other alternatives.

The harder you push, the harder others will push back. So don't push - invite.
  • Yes, I would start the schola from scratch and take any of the existing choristers that are interested in addition.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The easy way is to start a new schola - the old choirs might not like them, but they'll be happy.

The hard way, but to be honest more interesting and challenging way, is to convert the current groups. It takes the most skill, slyness and political savvy. You have to be ready for anything, and try to fly under the radar (sorry to repeat myself again and again). It can be done though, and it has the most satisfying outcome.
  • Matt and Mike, when I started our schola 18 years ago, it was with the proviso that it was audition/invitation-based. That "standard" proved and played out very well in both the short and long term. Eventually, members of pre-existing groups (Trad "Seasoned Citizens" Choir, and Ensemble "folk group" were provided occasions to participate with the well-oiled schola operation, so some improved their skills and were subsequently invited to join schola. We now have about 10 people who sing at least two Masses each Sunday morning. And some of the schola have cross-fertilized the ensemble, thus enabling that group to up its game and repertoire standards. So, it's kind of a hybrid approach.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Jeffrey Quick: know your church documents!

They are listed here ...
    Liturgical Music Document Literacy Challenge
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2182
  • lmassery
    smooth sailing story: my wife was music director for one year at a church that was used to Glory and Praise. She stopped using it, using instead only decent hymns. She used the Chabanel psalms and even some unaccompanied psalms. She started singing the communion antiphon followed by a hymn and eventually chanted only the SEP communios. She even did some SEP introits - and with all of this, nobody in the congregation said a single negative word. Someone once said "I liked that solo you sang at communion." Another said he started coming to the parish because he thought the chanting was very "spiritual." So, it is possible to have a very positive experience