Rating the Roman Missal
  • benedictgal
    For the past few weeks, I have pored over and analyzed the various versions of the Roman Missal offered by publishers. The ones that I examined were from:

1. The Catholic Truth Society
    2. Liturgical Press
    3. Catholic Books
    4. Midwest Theological Forum
    5. The USCCB
    6. The Magnificat
    7. Liturgical Training Publications

I don't know if any of you have seen them, but, there are about three publishers who have really hit the ball out of the park in producing the Roman Missal. The quality is superb, majestic and noble. Unfortunately, there are others who somehow might not have understood Liturgiam Authenticam's mandate that the book be as dignified as the words it contains.
  • Paul F. Ford
    You WILL tell us which, won't you?
  • I think that we should guess, first.

2. Liturgical Press
    6. The Magnificat
    7. Liturgical Training Publications [this is my only guess...I have a gut feeling that 2 and 6 are definite!]
  • JahazaJahaza
    Yes, please tell us what you think of them!
  • Paul F. Ford
    8. World Library of Sacred Music
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I bought the WLP version for home use because it looked more homey and friendly for that purpose.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, I've peeked by looking at some of these already. Midwest Theological always produces beautiful (and expensive) missals, and we can trust Magnificat to do a good job. For myself, I'm just planning on getting OSV's new edition of Daily Roman Missal -- everything should be in there, hm?
  • WLP does seem to go back to its roots nicely.
  • benedictgal
    I will say this: Liturgical Press was not very pretty, not at all. The artwork alone was really bad and it did not, as I see it, fit the standard that Liturgiam Authenticam set. Catholic Books was only slightly better. The artwork was nice; however, when it came to the "art" imbedded with the text, it looked way too childish.

The winner is the one produced by the Catholic Truth Society. When I saw the sample pages, I was impressed. It's just a shame that we can't come up with something of that caliber. The MTF is also beautiful; however, it is quite costly.
  • benedictgal
    CTS told me that they have been receiving pre-orders from American parishes.

I do like the Magnificat. It is both beautiful, diginified and affordable.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    benedict gal,

how is it possible that you can afford to purchase so many Missals?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Again, pls buy one for the loft!!
  • benedictgal
    I looked at the sample pages and made some phone calls. The ones that I plan on buying are the CTS and Magnificat versions.
  • Paul F. Ford
    I've touched and opened the dummy copies of the Liturgical Press and Liturgical Training Publications editions. All the publishers will have dummy editions at the NPM in Louisville.

The art work (Brother Martin Erspamer, OSB) in the former is superior to the latter; but both are splendid and worthy volumes.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the list again, with links:

2. Liturgical Press
    3. Catholic Book: 1, 2, 3
    5. The USCCB
    6. Magnificat
    8. World Library of Sacred Music: 1, 2
  • chonakchonak
    I like CTS's idea of offering a smaller "reference" edition, but I wouldn't be interested in buying a UK missal. Are any of the US publishers doing that? The Magnificat "chapel edition" looks pretty close.
  • Liam
    Would UK missals have propers for things in the US ordo that are not in the UK ordo?
  • benedictgal
    Liam, you make a good point; however, there are a lot of American parishes that are ordering the CTS version. I wish that CTS could have published one for use in the United States.

The one from Liturgical Press ranked poorly, in my opinion, because the artwork was too severe and not at all beautiful. It seemed too harsh and too angular and not something I believe to be worthy of a noble book.

The Magnificat version ranked higher than MTF because it had beauty, function and affordability. In my opinion, the Magnificat publishers, in their forray into publishing the actual Roman Missal. really took to heart the provisions laid out in LA, which also included price. The MTF, while superb in every aspect, seemed rather over-priced at $500 for the Altar edition.
  • benedictgal
    I just saw the preview from WLP, thanks to chonak, who was gracious in posting the link. It is beautiful. My only caveat is that I am not a fan of san serif type. I wish that some of the publishers would not have used sans serif when setting the red.
  • Liam
    A mindset that fails to account for things like needing the propers required in one's own country strikes me as of the cart-before-the-horse variety, and I would not encourage it; it's not good stewardship. (It's one thing for someone to gift it - so long as the recipient is aware that the gift is limited in this way - but another to buy it from the parish or diocesan budget.)
  • Paul F. Ford
    Perhaps, Michelle, we have a difference de gustibus. I shall suggest to The Liturgical Press to revisit the PDF they have posted on their website, because it does not do justice to the beautiful artwork, especially the way it is printed on the beautiful, light, cream-colored paper. The artwork is not severe, harsh, or angular, in my opinion.
  • And this is proof of the power of the internet.

One person posts a useful criticism, someone involved with the product in one way or another passes the word along and we are all the better for it.
  • benedictgal
    Mr. Ford, perhaps I might change my mind, but, for now, the LP version ranks at the bottom. I still think that for such a noble book, better art could have been chosen, or created.

The reason why I am quite impressed with CTS is that they actually went with the beautiful patrimony of sacred art from England, the Middle Ages, to be exact. It really works well and, in my opinion, best fulfills the prescriptions set forth in Liturgiam Authenticam.
  • DougS
    I don't dislike the Liturgical Press art--the flattening gives it just a touch of iconic quality--but of the two I prefer the art in the Catholic Truth Society version. As Paul said, sometimes these things come down to taste.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Links above. Here's a price summary (rounded to nearest dollar):

Altar missal, $370
    Chapel missal, $185
    Study missal, $81

2. Liturgical Press
    Ritual edition (8.5x11) $170
    Chapel edition (7x9) $120

3. Catholic Books
    Genuine leather, $159
    Clothbound, $129
    Clothbound (chapel), $89

Regal edition, $500
    Classic edition, $350

5. The USCCB
    Ritual edition, $169
    Chapel edition, $115
    (quantity discounts available)

6. The Magnificat
    Altar edition, $169 ($199 after Oct. 31)
    Chapel edition, $79 ($99 after Oct. 31)

Ritual edition, $175

8. WLP
    Deluxe edition, $395
    Value edition, $195
  • Mike R
    I think it's clear that Liturgical Press and Liturgy Training Publications have both opted for artwork that is not exactly going to appeal on the broadest scale. I personally don't mind Br. Martin's iconic style, but know that many really don't like it because it is a bit...gnomish? - very hard to describe. And while Matthew Alderman has very nice illustrations, his style is so unique that I think it could call a bit too much attention to itself. It could be jarring for a visiting priest to turn a page in the middle of Mass and be struck with a full-page, white and red on black drawing.

I'm not saying that either style is out of place or a dealbreaker on those missal editions; just that going with more classical artwork is the safer bet.

Sans serif font, however, could be a dealbreaker.
  • benedictgal
    For me, the deal breakers are the artwork, the price and the typeset. A priest friend of mine is ordering the one from the CTS because of the nobility of their production of the Roman Missal. I wish that the CTS could have produced a version for use in the US.
  • benedictgal
    What troubles me about the Liturgical Press version is that the artwork looks quite elementary. I agree with Liam's point of view. There is a plethora of sacred art out there. CTS and the Magnificat certainly made good use of it, as did WLP.
  • benedictgal
    I just posted the rankings on my blog. While I realize that this is just my opinion, I think it's important for people to see the options that are available to them and make their own judgments based on Liturgiam Authenticam.
  • benedictgal
    I will also recommend, in my subsequent post, that pastors buy a Roman Missal for the choir, thus, showing Jeffrey some love. :)
  • What would really be good to know is how well the various publishers deal with the musical content. Do all of the publishers include the same amount of musical notation? Is the layout clear? Very little is able to be determined from the publishers' websites. If a priest wishes to chant the collects at the Easter Vigil, how helpful are the various volumes? Are all of the prefaces and Eucharistic Prayers set to notes? What kind of notes? Would also be nice to know how much Latin chant is included. I'm not asking that all of the content of the Ordo Missae in Cantu be included, but perhaps the chants of ordinary in Latin would be nice as well and maybe some of the more basic material from the Kyriale. I'm not a big fan of the artwork in the Lit. Press. version, but perhaps it is the best product when musical considerations are taken into account. I, for one, won't be going to Louisville. Perhaps Dr. Ford could go on a recon mission.
  • benedictgal
    Ioannes, I can ask Chris at CTS and the folks at the Magnificat. It seems to me that everything is identical. I just received the hybrid version of the Roman Missal from CTS yesterday. It does have the notes exactly as is from the ICEL settings found on their website.
  • DougS
    I'm local to the convention but won't be attending. I'll ask my wife to do some recon in my place.
  • benedictgal
    DougS, the CTS hybrid from England does have the musical notations in it and they are fairly easy to read. A lot of it has to do with the color of the paper and the contrast in the print. From what I understand, WLP's selling point is that their Roman Missal would be easy to use, even in low light.
  • francis
    i am with ioannes

jerry g told me they were resetting the horendous settings of the chant from icel... i haven't seen it yet, but the ease of reading the chant would take priority over the artwork in my book.
  • benedictgal
    In that case, WLP would be the best option for you, francis. Given the fact taht they do already have experience in publishing musical notations, WLP specifically stated that their typest of the Roman Missal settings would be quite easy to use.
  • benedictgal
    My reviews can be found here:

http://benedictgal-lexorandilexcredendi.blogspot.com/
  • Mike R
    Thanks for the reviews, benedictgal. There's just something about the Magnificat typeface that is unsettling to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it's even more evident when seeing a page printed full-size. I still may go with it, but it's going to be a tough decision.

WLP looks great...except for the cover. Maybe it looks better in person, but if I'm going to spend $395 for WLP despite what seems to be a silly-looking cover and sans-serif font, I may as well spring for the MTF.
  • benedictgal
    MTF, though, is charging a lot for something that is not leather. Go figure.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It used to be that you paid for what you got. Nowadays, it seems you pay for what you don't get. :(

Thanks, benedictgal, for your thoughtful evaluations, commentary, and rankings.
  • Mike R
    Benedictgal, you keep saying that MTF is not leather. Everything on their website states that their regal edition IS genuine leather. Perhaps you're just remembering their "classic edition"? I know you're comparing to the $370 CTS edition, but the difference is only $130. Most parishes (well, most that aren't just going to go for the cheapo CBP edition) can find someone willing to donate $130.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does anybody make a paperback "study edition"
    No?
  • WJA
    Does anybody make a paperback "study edition"
    No?

Good question. Related question: will there be an official PDF version available for download? (Is there already one?)

If not, there should be official PDF versions of the missal, all the other ritual books (weddings, funerals, rituale, whatever the bishop's book is called, etc.) for study and planning purposes.

(If there are, somebody please give me the links!)
  • MikeR, while the Regal Edition is made of leather, the Classic is not. If you check what I wrote, I did make that distinction. I believe that $350 is still rather pricey for something that is not real leather.

Adam, the CTS has a study edition that is about $80 and it has the same artwork that their Roman Missal has.
  • godfrey
    Information about the Canadian version of the Missal is available here:

http://www.romanmissal.ca/

I had heard that the complete text of the missal was not allowed to be published on the internet.
  • I had heard that the complete text of the missal was not allowed to be published on the internet.

Makes sense. Why open themselves up to criticism?
  • quilisma
    Just remind me, what biblical translation is used in the new missal, is it the NAB (revised)? I was just wondering because I looked at some of the sample missal pages and then at the NAB on USCCB and they don't seem to match.
    I was thinking, in particular, of the propers. For example, the psalms in the lectionary are the Grail, therefore similar extracts from the same Psalms, which might appear as propers will be translated differently. Similarly, in the UK we use the Jerusalem Bible for the rest of scripture, again, should these texts appear as propers, people may be confused about different translations of the same passages.
    I presume that the UK Roman Missal is using exactly the same translation as in the US for its Propers - actually, it would seem to be because the sample pages for the CTS people's missal does have the same translations as the sample pages of the US missals I've managed to look at. For those of you in the US buying a CTS missal, you'll have to put up with British English spelling, but don't worry, you'll generally be getting more letters for your money !
    It's all a bit of a mess, particularly if you were hoping to commit some particular texts to memory. You'd have to remember in which context the text appears and the pull out the appropriate translation.
  • The propers have nothing to do with the NAB, mercifully, as these will be universal.
  • quilisma
    I suppose, then, the Propers were entirely re-translated by ICEL from the Latin MR.....?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Propers in the Missal that are based on Psalms are from the Revised Grail. I do not know if other Biblically-based Propers in the Missal are direct translations from the Latin or make use of specific Bible translation.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    From the "Editorial Note" in MTF's "Roman Missal: A Study Text with Excerpts from the New English Translation:"

Because the translation of scripturally based texts should “be guided by the manner of expression that is characteristic of the version of the Sacred Scriptures approved for liturgical use in the territories for which the translation is being prepared,” the antiphons and other chants based on Scripture texts in this Edition have been revised to reflect the vocabulary and manner of expression of the biblical translations approved for liturgical use in the dioceses of the United States of America. The Congregation has indicated to all other Conferences of Bishops its willingness to consider for the recognitio other translations of the antiphons and other chants which similarly reflect the biblical translations approved and confirmed for use in the Liturgy in their particular territories.