2012 Colloquium site: Cathedral of the Madeleine
  • chonakchonak
  • rollingrj
    In my backyard?

Is this true?

(You missed me that much you decided to make it easy for me to attend? :-P)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    June 25-July 1
  • June Ely
    Count me in!
  • Paul F. Ford
    How glorious!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I'm saving my "milk money" for this one, let me tell you!

For those of you who are too young to remember, when I was in kindergarten and grade school, we needed to bring 5 cents with us to pay for a little half-pint carton of milk that was brought up to the classroom in a milk crate (remember milk crates?). We would have a carton of milk, usually lukewarm by the time we got it, some graham crackers (stale) and then we'd all get out our carpet squares and have a nap. Ah, the good ol' days when things were so very simple.

When there was something you wanted to buy (often another student had a toy or some little thing that they wanted to sell), you'd forgo your carton of milk and save up your "milk money" and then buy the item from the other student.

Some things never change. We still have to save up our "milk money" to buy things that others have that we want to buy.

See you in Salt Lake City in 2012!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I started hanging out (well... online) with CMAA in early 2010, which means I've missed two Colloquia since I knew about them.
    I don't think I can take it anymore.

See you all next year.
  • Can't wait to meet you, Adam!
    Singing Mum
  • lmassery
    Question - will the Colloquium ever come back to Pittsburgh or will it be moving around every year or couple of years?
    It's great to see this excitement. No matter how great it looks online, it is 1000x better in real life: living space, rehearsal space, singing space, town and environment, everything. Really it's like the whole place was made just to make the Colloquium the most wonderful thing ever.
  • Richard R.
    ...and I shall be organizing a pilgrimage to my birth site, just up the road.

• Whoever hasn't been to this cathedral yet is in for one of the great architectural and liturgical experiences of their lives. I can honestly say, having traveled quite a bit and seen many churches, that this one in Salt Lake is truly one of the most magnificent ecclesiastical edifices ever built in the United States of America.

I also can hardly believe my good fortune in living so (relatively) close to the next Colloquium! (Lander, Wyoming, is about 4 1/2 hours' drive, if you put the pedal to the metal.) Finally, a decent chance at participating in person!

Thank you, CMAA, for choosing this location!
  • It's also worth mentioning that the pipe organ is absolutely incredible in the Madeleine. It makes the entire structure vibrate. The reverberations seem to ripple out into the space with almost philosophic leisure. That can make fast passagework a bit muddy, but the overall effect is grand to the point of ineffable.
  • Kathy
    Richard, is your birth place a great architectural and liturgical experience? Hmm?
  • chonakchonak
    The interior has changed so much since I was there in the '80s, I suspect the inscription from St. Paul which I loved is gone: it read "if even an angel should preach to you another gospel, let him be anathema". :-)
    LOL!
  • Paul F. Ford
    No, Richard, the inscription is very much there, as well as the three other anti-LDS-theology quotations!
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Two questions:

1. Is there going to be musical training available for priests, as there was in Chicago and last year in Pittsburgh? That would be a major selling point in convincing my parish administrator to go with me (and as many other parish musicians as we can afford--SLC is only a two-day drive from where I live).

2. Chant flash mob in Temple Square, anyone? :-D
  • Kathy
    I'd heard about that one quotation. Would be interested in hearing the three others!
    yes, there will be priest training plus many expansions and offerings in a wide range of areas. Details coming in the months ahead.
  • JDE
    LOL @Chris Allen - I would totally volunteer for the chant flash mob in Temple Square.

Also need to convince my pastor to cough up for airfare, since it is a little too far to drive from South Carolina.
  • We will be glad to send letters to your pastor encouraging him to cough up the bucks!
  • kevinfkevinf
    Will be there. And I hope to bring my vicar, who reads and writes on this forum.
  • francis
    wow! i am thrilled! i can actually attend!
  • JDE
    Fares I am seeing for May 2012 (the farthest out I can currently see in online reservations) are pretty reasonable from SC to SLC. That is a good thing. I have put a note on the calendar to deal with this at the end of July or so when the fares become available.
  • marajoymarajoy
    lol.... I love how people "out west" talk about distances... "only a two-day drive..."
    ;-)
  • francis
    I'll be comin' round the mountains from Jackson, Wyoming, yall.

This is me with with my two horses, Bourdon and Bombarde with my positiv in tow.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Marajoy, it would've been just one day when I was a much younger man.... ;-)
  • Adam Schwend
    Splendid! Us folks out west very much appreciate a return of the Colloquium so that those of us who do the Lord's work in the Devil's land may more readily attend...
  • francis
    Adam

Devil's land?

God lives in Wyoming!

However, we certainly have our share of hedonists and giaeists.
  • rollingrj
    Welcome, Jacob! We are glad you're here. In time, if you are suitably impressed, I encourage you to become a member of the CMAA.

The wonderful thing about the Colloquium is that all skill levels of musicianship are welcomed. There are choirs and programs which fit where you are in your musical development. Just be ready to learn and sing. A lot.