August Chant Workshops!
  • Carl DCarl D
    I had the wonderful opportunity to study with Fr Columba Kelly in 2007, and would highly recommend these workshops! -Carl

I’m contacting you to possibly attend the wonderful Chant Workshop or to pass this information on to friends who may be interested in attending.
    You can register by calling the Guest House and Retreat Center at 1-800-581-6905 or you can click here below to register online.

August 1-5, 2011 Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB (1st Session)

The seminar, "Bringing to Life the Word of God in Song," will be offered in a beginner session and in an advanced session on July 9-13, 2012. Learn how the practice of Gregorian chant brings to life the Word of God in song, and study the intimate relationship between the proclaimed Word of God and its melodic setting. Learn a new way to enhance your Lectio, your spiritual reading. The workshop includes study of the original chant notations as the key to unlocking the spiritual and artistic qualities that have influenced later Western music. Practice singing both Latin and English settings in chant style will be included. (Fee $395 single, $650 double)

August 8-12, 2011 Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB (2nd Session)

The seminar, "Bringing to Life the Word of God in Song," Learn how the practice of Gregorian chant brings to life the Word of God in song, and study the intimate relationship between the proclaimed Word of God and its melodic setting. In this advanced session we will practice singing both Latin and English settings in chant style will be included. (Fee $395 single, $650 double)

Please let me know if I can be of any further help or if you would like further information about the Chant Workshop? Or if you wish to see our other offering on our retreats you may do so by clicking www.saintmeinrad.edu. Thank you!

Do let us keep each other in prayer.
    Your monk friend,
    Br. Maurus Zoeller, OSB
    Retreat/Tour Director/Guestmaster
    for Saint Meinrad Archabbey

For information about upcoming retreats, click here.
    To register for a retreat, click here.
    To receive information on pilgrimages, e-mail Br. Maurus.

Saint Meinrad Archabbey
    100 Hill Drive
    St. Meinrad, IN 47577

May the Lord support us all the day long till the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is o'ver, and our work is done! Then in His mercy may He give us a safe lodging and a holy rest and peace at the last!
    -Cardinal Newman
  • David DeavyDavid Deavy
    Carl,

Can you tell me the primary difference between the beginning and advanced, is it more sight reading skill or is it, level of detail of the study of chant (i.e. Triplex detail verses what is the Graduale Romanum)? The Archabbey is about an 2 hours from my home.

Thanks,

David Deavy
  • Carl DCarl D
    Good question, the same one I had when I went. I had sung in a chant schola for about 4 months at that point, but knew how to read modern notation pretty well, so I screwed up my courage and went for the advanced course. It was the right choice. I think the beginning course is for total newbies.

Of course you can always send them an email and see if they've changed the program since I went.

Carl