Fr. Corapi • Musicians are not the only people who are mistreated by the Catholic Church
  • marajoymarajoy
    For those (like myself) who HATE wasting time and clicking on links without knowing what they're about, this is about (Father) Corapi.
  • Oooops.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    That's appalling. The Catholic Church is the worst church in all the world...except for all the others.
    I owe Fr. Corapi a lot. (and I'll probably continue to call him Fr. out of habit...and because my understanding is that Holy Orders are indelible) I'd lost track of his situation in the noise of life. I wish him well in his new endeavors, and hope that he can continue to do what he does in a different way. It's the Church's loss.
  • I did some reading on this and talked with others who are very concerned about him. His huge personality is an asset and perhaps his greatest challenge. His new website is kind of creepy.
  • CharlesW
    I don't really know the details concerning him. However, I can assure you Catholic school teachers are not always treated any better than musicians.
  • Adam Schwend
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a whole lot more about this that we don't know...Father Corapi's letter and actions, with only the known details in mind, seem rather odd.
  • But so does the case against him seem odd.
  • chonakchonak
    In the past day more information has come out from a superior. Employees of Corapi's company are unwilling, the superior says, to testify in the church's investigation, lest they violate the non-disclosure contract they signed as a condition of employment. Corapi is even suing his putative accuser for violating it. By seeking to enforce this agreement, he seems to have impeded the investigation that would clear him. This makes no sense.
  • Or he is trying to intimidate her to recant her testimony.
  • I don't think this topic is germaine in any meaningful way to this forum. Perpetuating it is unseemly and begs the question: what purpose does this serve?
    Please don't troupe out the "censorship" counter, not interested.
  • Kathy
    I agree with Charles. This is a music/liturgy forum.
  • chonakchonak
    Good point. There are informative discussions of this topic at the "Deacon's Bench" blog and in articles on the National Catholic Register web site already.
  • kathyf
    I do think it worth pointing out, though, that a lot of what is giving people pause is that his materials are not Open Source the way the CMAA has made theirs. They are for profit and copyrighted and patented and trademarked and have been sold for high price. Not the way church teachings or church music should be. There oughta be a canon law.
  • Gotta agree that I see little to no purpose in discussing this on the sacred music forum. There are always so many details that we chatters are not privy to, etc. This is a problem in the Church that we do not have the competency to solve. I suggest that we musicians sing some prayers for Fr. Corapi and everyone involved.

And Noel,what about starting your own blog? I say this as someone who would visit it. You seem to have a lot to say about important things that are outside the scope of this forum.
  • benedictgal
    I think Noel should also start a blog. He has excellent insight into things and he helps keep mine in check.
  • Canon Law is great until someone attempts to invoke it.
  • Me, a blog? It's have to be titled, NEVER MIND! when what I had written was easily and simply proven to be inaccurate, wrong, totally-out-of-line only deserving to be sunk....as this justifiably has been.
  • And your point is....?
    I ditto the FNJ Blogcall.
    I'd love to have posterity prove me wrong about the future prominence of chant at RCC worship