Accompaniments for ICEL Roman Missal Chants
  • My setting of Credo III has been added, and now all chants are in one easy to use PDF. Others writing accompaniments, please post updates here - there is considerable interest.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Thank you, Noel! And reiterating what you just said… yes, there is considerable interest in accompaniments (notwithstanding my view that unaccompanied chant would be ideal).
  • fp
    Thank you very much!!!
    FP
  • Mine are just one way to accompany them...there are two versions included, the second with very simple organ chords and chord symbols above the staff. There are so many people out there that really fear trying to sing unaccompanied, so offering accompaniments is just a step along the way.

I can see someone creating gorgeous organ accompaniments, sort of on the line of the Durufle Requiem!
  • wow. thank you
  • I see these accompaniments as being useful...and most of all, free...for the average and below average organist who may not have the ability to play more complex ones, no matter how beautiful they are. But I encourage those who start out playing melody and chords to also study the ones with the LH written out. Work through them slowly and you will be surprised how much easier they are to play than chording since they flow from note to note.

People have begun converting the NOH accompaniments to these chant tones and these are really, really good. Move on to those when you can.

There is no shame to starting out playing only the simplest music...as long as you keep an open mind and continue to grow.

After accompanying chant for awhile, begin dropping the level of the sound lower and lower, then eventually drop out and listen...you'll get a feeling of pride as the singers continue on without out, you'll be as proud as the day you left your training wheels on the bike behind you in the dust.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    People have begun converting the NOH accompaniments to these chant tones and these are really, really good. Move on to those when you can.
    Noel, do you know where these might be available? (That is, the NOH with the ICEL chants… I know where the original NOH itself can be found.)
  • That was back in http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=4492

I also seem to recall Jeff Ostrowski possibly mentioning this...