• Claire H
    Are there any resources for simple but reverant Spanish Psalms melodies/chants? Any help in this area would be appreciated.
  • Out here in CenCA, the cogniscenti consensus regards OCP Responde y Acclama as musically even superior to Alstott's English equivilent.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Father Matthew Spencer and I are working on our Spanish Graduale Simplex. Do you have any immediate needs?
    Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • BrophyBoy
    The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City has a VERY fine choir of men and boys that sings a daily celebration of the Holy Mass and the Office. They have a Psalter all their own that is a true treasure (think Josquin Des Prez, meets John Goss, meets Bartolucci!) I only know of a single individual in the U.S.A. whom is in possession of a copy. You might try writing to the Basilica to see if you might finagle a copy.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Claire H,

These have been used at our Cathedral for several years:

Spanish Psalms based on Gregorian chant melodies
  • For about the past 3 months I have been writing and using in liturgy Spanish Responsorial Psalms and have been meaning to share them for feedback. See attached. Feedback welcome!
    Thanked by 2mantonio benedictgal
  • These are excellent, Adam.
  • Claire H
    Thank you, everyone, and please keep it coming!

Paul, I would be interested in seeing the Spanish Graduale Simplex -- when do you anticipate it being available?

BrophyBoy, that sounds fascinating. Thank you for the suggestion!

Jeff, I've been gratefully implementing English Chabanel Psalms and would be delighted if more were available in Spanish than just a few common seasonal Psalms (for starters, the ones to go with cycle A so that they could begin to be used on a regular basis!)
  • TCJ
    Count me among those looking for decent psalms in Spanish. I'm a bit tired of most of them sounding like Ranchero music.
  • ClaireH
    Take a look to this resource:
    http://musicasacralc.blogspot.com/search/label/El%20Libro%20del%20Salmista
  • Adam, great psalms!!
    What is the source of this translation?
    This Alleluias are from the GS?

One observation: For the Gospel Acclamation there says:
    "ACLAMACIÓN ANTES DEL EVANGELIO PARA CUARESMA" (Gospel Acclamation for Lent)
    And shows the triple-alleluia.
    We still no-sing Alleluia in Lent, right?
    (If I'm right, there should say: Aclamación antes del Evangelio para Pascua)
  • benedictgal
    I do not care much for the OCP Spanish-language psalms, especially those written by Mary Frances Reza, as they sound more like regular songs than the psalms. On the other hand, the Spanish-language psalms set by Manuel Garcia are somewhat metrical and can be sung without accompaniment.
  • TCJ
    Many of the OCP Spanish psalms are horrible. Since I was the person who had to sing them (and play them), however, I usually changed them on the fly to eliminate much of the song style from them and make them closer to ordinary chants.
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • @organista20

Yes, you are right, the label for the Alleluia is wrong on some of these. These are just working drafts that I've been using in my own parish. Notice that it took me until the 5th Sunday of Easter to figure this out and correct it!

The translation is taken directly from the Spanish lectionary that we use at my parish. I don't know much about Spanish liturgical translation issues, but I think that this is actually a book that is published for the dioceses of Spain.
  • ChaedatylChaedatyl
    Adam,
    I love your psalms! Do you have any for Corpus Christi? That is the next Sunday my new Spanish Youth choir is supposed to sing, and I would love to start teaching them some psalms in chant notation! Do you do Introits and/or Communios as well?
  • eft94530eft94530
    Adam: Spanish liturgical translation issues

USCCB Spanish translation details are methodically presented at ...
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1081
  • benedictgal
    I agree with the Curt Jester's observations. The OCP Spanish Language psalms are horrible. The only one who had good renditions was Manuel Garcia, but, I don't know what became of him.
  • What's that Latin phrase, "De gustibus...."?
    Expounding further upon an observation I made above, I find it ironic and amusing that people I know and work with in our parishes and elsewhere often state that the settings in Responde y Acclama, to them, are on the whole superior to Alstott's in R&A. I'm sure it wouldn't take much time to cite folks' utterances that are the polar opposite to that sentiment.
    There's a lovely little Ridley Scott comedy, "A Good Year," with a scene where an English stock broker who inherited his uncle's Chateau Winery employs an expert to assess the viability of the vines and that great term for its environs, terroire. Of course the snobby enologist's assessment reeked of bad Franco/Anglo resentments, so he dismissed the whole vineyard as m*rde. And, of course, the punchline of the film is that old Uncle produced a hidden vintage of legendary acclaim (oops!) I often think of that when we are quick to judge and dismiss vast sums of music, rather that to assess each varietal, each vintage, each winemaker.
    Take a breath, take your time....sort out the priorities in the vineyard you're in.
  • benedictgal
    I find Mary Frances Reza's to be particularly bad. There is too much music to these settings and they sound more like pop soft rock than sacred music.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Salient point, BG
  • Hello - I've done several of the spanish psalms for our spanish liturgies at the seminary - I have not done the Sunday psalms, these are from the weekdays - here is an example - whoops I just tried to upload the file and it said it won't upload a jpeg file - best, Kevin
  • chonakchonak
    Yep: you can display a JPEG image by uploading it to a web site of your own, and posting a link here (or even an tag).
  • ghmus7
    Dear Kevinjngalie:
    I would like to contact you, but can't find your e-mail. I also work at a seminary, I would like to know what resources you use etc.
    Blessings,
    ghmus7@hotmail.com
  • I just recently tried my hand at arranging a psalm for my Spanish youth choir to sing on September 25. I would love some feedback from any experts who use Gregorio, or Spanish language experts who might tell me I have musical accents in awkward places.
    Thanks!

Stephanie B.
  • Stephanie, I loved your Psalm!! If you do these regularly I'd be thrilled -- I have a Spanish Mass (sometimes two) almost every weekend and your arrangement was extremely helpful. Please post more or email me at c halbur @ saint mary plano . com (remove the spaces). Thank you for sharing this!
  • Pancho
    There's a lot to be said for a do-it-yourself approach of just singing the Psalm to a simple Gregorian psalm tone. Just point the psalm, or at least the response, before hand. If you're confident you could even wing-it at Mass. This is often done at my parish where it works well and people become familiar with a psalm tone, something I think is important. In my experience people end up learning it by ear if they hear it often enough. Think of it as "stealth chant".

You can try to match the mode to the mood of the psalm, or just cycle through all 8 modes, or you could just pick 1,2, or 3 tones and stick with them week-in, week-out ( never mind if the latter is boring to the musicians, as some like to tell the peeps-in-the-pews, it's not about you ).
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Is there a website that contains the entire Psalter in Spanish (from Spain as in the current US lectionary) that would allow me to copy and past the text so that it could be sung to a psalm tone?
  • ronkrisman
    Spain's psalms used to be available online at a website of the Archdiocese of Madrid. Then they disappeared a few years ago. (Or the archdiocese changed the link, and I have not discovered the new one.)

But I did find the psalms this morning at:

http://www.cyberbasilica.org/salmo.htm

I only reviewed psalms 22(23) and 29(30). Psalm 22(23) is missing the accent on "tú" in "tú vas conmigo:"

Psalm 29(30) has a more serious typo: "invita" instead of the correct "visita"

The US Leccionario edits Spain's translation slightly to conform to the predominant usages by Spanish-speakers in the USA. Most of these changes have to do with the form of second person plural imperatives and related pronouns and pronominal adjectives. There are two such in psalm 29(30): "Tañan" and "den"

Unfortunately verse numbers and spaces between strophes for the psalms are not included.
    Salmo 29
    ACCIÓN DE GRACIAS
    POR LA CURACIÓN DE UN ENFERMO EN PELIGRO DE MUERTE

Te ensalzaré, Señor, porque me has librado
    y no has dejado que mis enemigos se rían de mí.
    Señor, Dios mío, a ti grité,
    y tú me sanaste.
    Señor, sacaste mi vida del abismo,
    me hiciste revivir cuando bajaba a la fosa.
    Tañed para el Señor, fieles suyos, = Tañan
    dad gracias a su nombre santo; = den
    su cólera dura un instante;
    su bondad, de por vida;
    al atardecer nos invita el llanto; TYPO: visita
    por la mañana, el júbilo.
    Yo pensaba muy seguro:
    "no vacilaré jamás".
    Tu bondad, Señor, me aseguraba
    el honor y la fuerza;
    pero escondiste tu rostro,
    y quedé desconcertado.
    A ti, Señor, llamé, supliqué a mi Dios:
    "¿qué ganas con mi muerte,
    con que yo baje a la fosa?
    ¿Te va a dar gracias el polvo,
    o va a proclamar tu lealtad?
    Escucha, Señor, y ten piedad de mí;
    Señor, socórreme".
    Cambiaste mi luto en danzas,
    me desataste el sayal y me has vestido de fiesta;
    te cantará mi alma sin callarse.
    Señor, Dios mío, te daré gracias por siempre.
  • wjcb112
    Does anyone know what Office Books or Missals, Spanish speaking monasteries in either Spain or Latin America use, and more particularly whether and where one can buy copies? I am aware of the magnificent German language Office books available from Germany or Switzerland, and I feel certain that some major Spanish-speaking monasteries must have something too.