Answering Common Objections
  • Claire H
    Last night, a singer at the small parish where I am now working made this comment, "What is happening with the Mass here these days? It seems like a funeral!"

When I asked if she meant musically or otherwise, she said "everything". Obviously the combination of our young priest's reverent celebration of the Liturgy and myself as music director incorporating chant and classic hymns prompted this response. I briefly but simply answered her that solemn does not mean sad, and later on explained the motion and energy necessary for lifelike chant. (The Mass is a *Sacrifice*, after all...not a funeral, but not a party either).

Any tips or suggestions for how to charitably and effectively address this kind of confused viewpoint? She's older, so obviously grew up with a more solemn liturgy, but it's apparent that her tastes and experience have now been colored by pop-culture liturgy and music. Sometimes these older folks can also have certain negative connotations associated with the "hell and damnation"-focused catechesis and preaching (her words) experienced in their youth. Experiencing the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (and specifically, sacred music) as something transcendent appears foreign to someone like this.

A significant challenge, it seems, is to convey authentic liturgy for what it is: alive, noble, powerful, transforming. Something not of this world. A sample of Heaven. Every soul needs to develop the sensitivity that causes us to weep, to be moved profoundly (or at least a small bit) at beauty...and even more to be moved profoundly by the Real Presence that infuses meaning into what otherwise would be a mere human monotony called life.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Don't sing chant slowly.
  • gregpgregp
    Claire, while I never want to say "never, I think we as a group have to come to terms with the fact that there are a LOT of people out there who will never 'get' what we are trying to do. The externals are too much for them.

As an example, in the 2008 Colloquium at Loyola, my Mom, aunt, and cousin came to attend the Ordinary Form Requiem Mass, which was celebrated in Latin ad orientem. At lunch afterward, they said that they thought that "the music was fantastic, but..." and I'm sure most of you can fill in what came next:

1. the priest had his back to us
    2. I don't understand Latin

How do you explain all the documents, constitutions, encyclicals, etc., in 15 minutes? And, worse, do that without seeming condescending or getting into an argument (with your own family, to boot)? In the end, I didn't try - I just left the experience to speak for itself, which as you say, is "alive, noble, powerful, and transforming. Something not of this world."

That's not to say that we shouldn't try, but I think in most cases people aren't interested in being informed - they want to vent and complain, not learn. Over many years, my opinion has come around to "do what we do as well as possible, and let the chips fall where they may".
  • Truer words ne'er spoken, Greg. See you in a couple?
  • Kathy
    There are some things that can be done to make things as user-friendly as possible.

-What Adam said. Beauty does not equal slow.
    -Don't let anything go overlong. If your favorite verse of the Psalm is #23, and the Communion procession is over at verse #18, and you still have a motet to sing, wrap up the Psalm. Do unto others--and most people would not have unnecessary delays done unto them. That "funeral feeling" kicks in most strongly when things go long for no reason.

I don't know if you can change her mind. The only way to make that happen is to present her with an opposing viewpoint that she can take seriously. Have there been pulpit or bulletin catecheses on the changes?
  • GavinGavin
    Here's an oddly simple solution that surprisingly just came to me:

Why not tell your interlocutor how this or that practice in the liturgy it makes you feel?

This person has come to you to communicate their own likes and dislikes. Their opinions are not invalid, but they are irrelevant to how the liturgy ought to be carried out. Since she has come to you with her emotions, it seems logical to respond in kind. A few of my own opinions:

"By carefully executing the liturgy without deviation, I feel the priest is respecting my presence as someone who came for the Roman Rite Mass."

"I am encouraged by the priest facing the same direction as me, as I see it being an egalitarian gesture that he is celebrating the Mass with me, rather than at me."

"Gregorian chant makes me feel linked to the universal church because people at all places AND times hear/sing the same thing as me!"

If your answer is "The rules are being followed and I really like following rules!", you're just weird.
  • Liam
    Gavin

I hope your tongue was planted firmly in cheek. The emotions of the ministers are the least important emotions in the room, as it were; ministers are fiduciaries, so their subjective feelings are perforce put to the side in carrying out their duties.

I would ask for more detail, with genuine (as opposed to feigned or merely official) curiosity (people can tell the difference quickly, and modulate their responses accordingly). You've been given a gift to learn. Use it. Does it mean it necessarily changes your program? Not necessarily. But you might just be surprised, if you show true curiosity.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    If ad orientam = turning your back to the people, then ad populo = turning your back to Whom?
  • Well said JQ —"that was laid on with a trowel."
  • Kathy
    Gavin, I think your strategy sometimes works out. If the parishioner's complaints are entirely subjective, then pointing to your own subjective experience as a counterexample can be helpful. You're there too, worshipping. It's a perfectly valid trowel to have in your tool kit.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    About 10 years ago, long before the chant revival, I gave a talk on chant to a group of about 15 parishioners - I had recordings, extended commentary, history, and every jazzy thing I could think. I was really pumped at the end of my talk. Then the very first comment came from an older woman there. She said exactly the following: "Well, I hate chant. I hated when I was growing up and I still hate it now."

That was it! that was the whole comment! I was stunned, and it pretty much wiped out everything that I had said.
  • His argument fails when he calls this a false dichotomy.

The idea that there is a middle ground someplace between Gregorian Chant and modern contemporary catholic music is bandied about, but doing chant in modern style...and modern music in chant style destroys the effect of both.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If ad orientam = turning your back to the people, then ad populo = turning your back to Whom?

Really?

Yeah, I know- we've all read the oh-so-cute story about the little boy asking why the priest turned his back on the crucifix.
    But really?

There are a lot of decent arguments in favor of ad orientem, but I'm pretty sure, "God is over there, but not over there," isn't gonna fly.
  • Then why the instruction to turn to the East? He's not in the West, South or North?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I've seen at least one circular worship space. What happens there?
    Yes, I realize my argument is a reductio ad absurdam. But isn't "He's not looking at us; we're being ignored" just as absurd as "God is over there, not here?" I don't go to Mass to feel that important, and God is not so scary that I'll freak out if the priest isn't always looking at me.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I wasn't arguing against ad orientem.
    I was pointing out that progressives are going to label you as some kind of idol-worshiper if you talk as if God is over there and not over there.

I keep trying to say this, and nobody seems to listen:
    If you want to change how other people think, you have got to change the way you talk about stuff.

There are people on this board who are passionately and deeply distressed about how liturgy and music is "done" and how other people think about it.
    And yet, when the rubber meets the road (actually talking to people who's hearts and minds and behaviors need conversion) those same people insult, joke, play rhetorical games, and refuse to alter their own thinking/talking/behaving.

You can't win hearts and minds by telling people how wrong they are.

If you know with certainty that a particular line of thought or a certain way of saying something is pretty much guaranteed to have a negative impact: you have to avoid it. You can't just say it anyway because, "Well, I'm right and she's just going to have to get over it."

And finally- take a lesson from JT.
    Why do you think he's so popular/respected among non-Traddie/non-chant musicians?
    It isn't because of how well he dresses.
    It's because he's so damn nice to everyone.
  • This article from Chow.com might have some relevance here - I figure that reform of any kind is reform!

Reform School for Tightwad Tippers
    Published on Tuesday, May 31, 2011, by Helena Echlin

Dear Helena,
    I tip about 20 percent on meals, including alcohol and taxes. One of my closest friends (and frequent restaurant companion) typically tips about half the amount I do, and doesn't believe in tipping on alcohol or tax. I think he is cheap and uninformed but otherwise a great guy. What would you recommend?
    —Respect Your Server

Dear Respect Your Server,
    You're in the right: The diner should tip somewhere between 15 and 20 percent of the final total, including alcohol and tax. This is widely accepted, which is why the rumor that Oprah advises tipping 10 percent caused massive outrage.

But I doubt you'll have any luck persuading your friend to change his ways, any more than you can argue your uncle out of his political opinions at Thanksgiving dinner. Like someone's politics, his or her tipping philosophy is often more emotional than logical. It was probably ingrained in childhood. That's why people who grew up in countries that tip 10 percent have a hard time changing their ways. For instance, Stefan Smith, a sound designer who grew up in London and now lives in Oakland, California, still tips UK-style when dining alone. (It's another story when he's with his American wife, as you'll see below.)

Anyway, here's what will happen if you try to convince your friend by dint of rational argument and hard evidence: He'll just disagree with or dismiss whatever you say. For instance, if, next time the two of you have dinner, you ask the server how much people generally tip and he confirms that it's 15 to 20 percent, your friend will probably retort: "Of course the server is going to say that—he wants to make money."

I did my best to persuade Smith to up his tip, but for each of my arguments, he had a counterargument. The conversation just went ’round and ’round in circles. It wasn't very likely that I would succeed where his wife had already failed. As an American, she tips 15 to 20 percent. She has managed to convince Smith to tip 15 percent when they are dining together, in order to save her embarrassment. But she hasn't changed his fundamental tipping philosophy, and next time he has a burrito alone, he'll leave 10 percent.

So can anything be done to reform your friend? Steve J. Martin, coauthor of the book Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive (its U.S. title), says: "In order to change people's behaviors, we should not even think about changing their minds, but just change subtle cues or features in their environment." In the past I've mentioned how gestures from servers like touching the customer can up the tip. Martin says a strategically delivered mint can have the same effect: "Studies show that when food servers leave a small gift like a chocolate and place it down at the same time as the bill, there is about a 3 percent increase in tips. But if they personalize that gift by saying, 'This is especially for you,' or if they leave one mint and come back and say, 'Actually, here's another mint for you,' tips rise by 12 percent." Another way to increase the tip is to "repeat back word by word exactly what the diner ordered," says Martin. For example: "So you would like the Caesar salad with grilled chicken, and a refill on the bread." If you've spent any time talking to highly trained customer support people on the phone, you've probably noticed that they, too, use this technique.

Unfortunately, only the restaurant staff can change these subtle cues. So you'll just have to accept this flaw in your friend, the same way you would accept it if he was chronically late.

But though you can't change your friend, you can change your own behavior. If he's paying, sneak back and slip the server a few extra bucks. And if you're splitting the check, just leave a really, really generous tip to make up for his piddling one.
  • GavinGavin
    Kathy's affirmation, "pointing to your own subjective experience as a counterexample can be helpful. You're there too, worshipping," is exactly what I was aiming to say, and I think Liam has missed my point. I wasn't talking about making an apologetic for one's own programming. Frankly, when it comes to that, I say "I understand your point, and am sorry that lighting a guitar on fire with Gather hymnals as the Communion Motet offended you. I'll consider your suggestion when next I do my planning. Say, how about this weather lately, crazy stuff, huh??" (The last part is most important!) There's a difference between dealing with complainers and having a legitimate discussion on liturgical praxis.

But we all have these conversations, Liam. We go to Easter family gatherings excited about doing Palestrina and are told "I hate it when the choir sings without the congregation." We go to church on vacation and find antropocentric practices galore. We go to hair stylists who say, when they find out we're musicians, "I like when they sing songs I know, but I like when they do something else too. Like one time they had drums and clapping, and that was great!" People will make statements based on their emotive response, and that's ok. I'm simply saying we can do the same. It's truly bizarre to state that because I am in a ministry position, or because I'm educated on the liturgy, that my own opinions are not as relevant as anyone else's. I'm tired of having been told since I was 13 what "youth" like, and finding my own voice ignored.

We need to have an honest conversation with people in order to make a change in the ecclesiastical culture.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also-
    (And I have to say, I know this is contradictory to what I said earlier, but real life is full of compromises, contradiction, and paradox).

Part of the point of my funny "Compliments and Complaints" post was:
    People in the Pews, and the things they say, are a really bad indicator of the success or failure of a music program.

We worked our butts off on Palestrina for Holy Week and just did the Tallis "IF Ye Love Me" last weekend. Very little feedback. I do SLJs and David Haas music, and get asked (in direct response to that) why we don't do any folk music at Mass. I did an Early American Spiritual one Sunday, which prompted a life-long Episcopalian to complain to the rector that my programming was "too Catholic." And the most frequent compliment I get (by far) is "You guys sound so loud!"

I hate being all elitist and paternalistic, but:
    People do not know what is good for them. They barely know what they like.

Do what you think is right, based on your understanding of liturgy, church law and custom, and directives given to you your parish leadership.
  • GavinGavin
    Dealing with complainers is something different. I'll share an illustrative experience I had lately:

A few weeks ago, I took a friend out to a fancy French restaurant for his birthday. We enjoyed a very fine meal, which was marred only by the Child of God (my high school teachers' way of avoiding swearing) seated behind me who proceeded to berate the manager for a slight of his waiter. (I personally HATE people who aren't kind to waitstaff. They're there, doing their best for you, as well as hundreds of other customers.) In a slow and pretentious manner, this Most Important Man Alive proceeded to complain endlessly and viciously about his waiter: "I enjoyed a fine meal here, finished by a great dessert. But one thing is wrong. Can you find it? Oh, come on, guess. I'll give you a hint. Is this supposed to be here? I think it isn't. Your waiter left it here through the ENTIRE meal, ruining the atmosphere... etc." I asked my friend "please restrain me from punching him," while we eavesdropped.

The manager was incredible! He acknowledged the mistake and framed it as a "training opportunity" for the waiter. He jollily absorbed the customer's abuse. And, amazingly, he managed to engage the customer in a friendly and warm conversation like one might find between old friends. The customer continued to berate the waitstaff, but the manager would simply acknowledge his statement and continue on course with the other topic. The manager sang out loud "happy mother's day to you" to the customer's wife (probably humiliated to be seen in public with such a boor), and told the customer to expect personal service from him and free drinks on his return. They parted ways in the best of spirits, and I'm sure the manager had a great laugh with his waiter about the pretentious jerk at his table.

Frankly, if I knew what to make of this, I'd have more hair than I do now. But a few things stick out: the manager ACKNOWLEDGED the complaint, without validating it as correct. He made sure he was on FRIENDLY terms with the customer, actively working hard to avoid an adversarial situation. He CONTROLLED the conversation they were having carefully. He remained POSITIVE. At no point did he try to validate his OWN (or the waiter's) actions. I think that last point is important: too often, we want to point out How Right We Are to do chant/Latin. But we already know we're right - why try to force the other person to bow to the Immensity of our Majesty, when we could be having an amicable conversation with a fellow parishioner?

No, we're not waiters, we're not there to make people happy, nor to serve them in just the way they like. But I think we can take some cues from the service industry in how we deal with complaints.
  • What to do or say when told "it is pastorally wrong because the 'people' become too passive" when referring to the use of chant. Let me point out that this comment is directed specifically at the idea that there will be times when the "people" are expected to listen and not sing.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "We're actually encouraging congregational singing. By giving people a bit of a break to rest their voices during the [Introit/Offertory/Communio/Motet/Whatever], they'll be all ready to come in stronger on [the Ordinary / the Communion Hymn / the Recessional / the post-homily VBS sing-along]."
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Adam "I was pointing out that progressives are going to label you as some kind of idol-worshiper if you talk as if God is over there and not over there."

Well why genuflect to the Blessed Sacrament? Someone told me that the Blessed Sacrament is "specifically" the Second Person of the Trinity. The other thing I think about during Mass when the priest faces East is the idea of the church as a boat. With the older architecture a church resembles a boat (you can see this especially if the building is flipped upside down). Anyway the point is that the priest is in the prow as the leader, the Alter Christus and we are all facing the same way toward our goal, toward heaven. It is symbolism.

Adam "You can't win hearts and minds by telling people how wrong they are." Very good point!
  • Gavin, great story, but there are many folks who would become even more infuriated by not having their issues taken seriously. Anyway, there are some great ideas here. Let me add one that has worked well for me. When working with a pastor or IP (Important Person) in the parish. Find a way to make the shift to more dignified music seem like their idea. I remember complimenting my pastor all the time for some of the small changes I made. When people complained (as they always will) I would say "I didn't really do that the way I think you envisioned. I'll work on that on that part."