I need a chironomy tutor
  • drtayoung
    Greetings all:

I will be attending this year's colloquium (my second year) and I am disappointed to see that there is no chironomy class scheduled. I have just started teaching the men in my choir to sing chant. I purchased Carroll's "The Technique of Gregorian Chironomy" to review, but I'm having trouble putting it into practice. It reminds me of trying to learn to ride a bike by reading a cycling magazine. I'd love to learn to conduct chant properly, so I don't have to just wave my arms around up there.

Is there anyone out there with knowledge of the subject who would be willing to meet with me for a few sessions at Duquesne? I can pay you back with Starbucks coffee or any other recreational beverage of your choice.

Thank you and God Bless,

Tom Young

drtayoung@aim.com
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Sounds like a need for an after hours chironomy class with liquid catering by Charles in CenCa...
  • drtayoung
    Since I have not gotten any response yet, I am going to sweeten my offer.

Since time is money, and time is precious, I am willing to part with some of my precious money for some of your precious time.

If anyone is willing to spend a couple of hours with me while we're at Duquesne, I would be happy to pay whatever you think is reasonable.

Please e-mail me if you are willing and able to be my chironomy tutor.

God Bless,

Tom Young

drtayoung@aim.com
  • JDE
    Dr. Young,

you may find that being exposed to the chant ensemble conductor will have a similarly salutary effect. Not as good as a glass or two of wine with Charles, but the two are not mutually exclusive!

Also you might want to take a look at the Intro to the Liber Usualis in English. It includes a guide to hand motions that I have found very helpful. Again — not as helpful as a glass of wine, but still.
  • You may not have time to do this before the Colloquium, but I suggest that you purchase Dr. Marier's book, Gregorian Chant Practicum , from The Catholic University of America Press, and teach yourself chironomy and a number of other great things. You would also benefit from taking the Practicum itself. Good luck!