Exsultet in English in modern stemless notation on letter-size paper
  • I've received a number of requests from CMAA folk for this, so I am posting it here. I didn't take the time to make it prettier because this is the last year we can use it.
  • godfrey
    As I looked over the text and music I was struck by how familiar it was, yet as I sang the notes I began to notice some differences from the version I am used to. I grabbed my Canadian Sacramntary and compared the two. Sure enough there are a few differences.

This isn't the first time I have noticed difference in the notations of two Sacramentaries. The introductory dialog and the doxology of the Eucharistic Prayer are different as well.

I tried to upload the text, but it is a scan and is greater than 1 MB.
  • There are musical mistakes (typographical errors and misalignments: It appears to have been done on a musical typewriter_ in the US Sacramentary, so this is my correction of those mistakes.
  • Have you by any chance come out with a modern notation for the new translation of the Exsultet? Thanks in advance.
  • chonakchonak
    It's printed in the Missal; here's a copy.
  • I don't believe my CA confrere will cry too much "foul" should I mention that his ol' classmate brought to my attention a new (or revised) setting by the wonderful J. Michael Thompson, late of St. Peter's in the Loop, and now a Professor of Liturgy at a Byzantine seminary (NY?) that uses both ison and organum so exisiquitely that peoples' hearts should melt like beeswax candles when it's sung. My boss will yield the chanting for the first time with this in six years, save for the "sursum corda" section.
    I just thought it was TOO COOL when my pastor said "have you checked this out yet?" In a way, J. Michael Thompson was quite pivotal in my own conversion towards chant prior to CMAA. And his schola? To die for.