Mom"s Funeral
  • Attached is the Pdf for Mom's funeral next Monday. In the printing it is reduced 67%, printed on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, folded and stapled

Martha Keyes-Cushnyr

Martha Keyes-Cushnyr passed away peacefully on March 16, 2011 after a courageous journey living with Dementia. The family wishes to thank Willow Creek Alzheimers & Dementia Care and Rosegate Assisted Living for their kindness, compassion and care for Martha these last 4 years. The family also wishes to thank Vitas Innovative Hospice Care for their oversight, care and compassion for mom during these last four months. Although Dementia was difficult for Martha as she valued her independence, she often smiled and laughed with family and the staff who cared for her. In September 2010, Martha enjoyed her 85th birthday party, surrounded by family and friends.

Martha is survived by her loving family, her daughter, Kathryn Lamphier, her son, Reverend Jeffrey Keyes, CPPS, her cherished grandchildren, Julie Nathan and her husband, Jim Nathan, Jon Deforest, and her great-grandchildren, Jeremy Rommelfanger and Jenna Nathan, and many nieces and nephews, and her friends at All Saints Church.

Martha was born September 5, 1925, in Fresno, California, one of three children of Martha and John Sullivan. Her early years were spent in Fresno, until 1950 when she married Francis W. Keyes. Martha and Francis, both of them licensed insurance brokers, owned and operated the Keyes Insurance Agency in Hayward for 24 years, and Hayward is where they settled and raised their family.

After Frank’s passing in 1976, Martha sold the business to Onstad’s Insurance and worked for Onstad’s for 11 years then worked part-time for a brokerage in Hayward prior to her retirement and marriage to Clarence Cushnyr in 1996.Martha and Clarence traveled and enjoyed life, and she cared for him for many years until his passing in January 2008. Martha’s life was rich with the many friends she made and cherished throughout her lifetime.
    From the early 90’s until 2001, Martha volunteered and became a lifetime member of St. Rose Hospital Auxiliary, and she also volunteered at Kaiser for more than 10 years, serving at both hospitals until 2001, when she retired to care for her husband, Clarence.

Her Catholic faith was very important to Martha, and sustained her during her illness in the last years of her life. In the early years she was quite active at St. Clement in Hayward, serving as president of the Woman's guild. In the later years Martha was a long-time member of All Saints Church in Hayward.

Family and friends are invited to her funeral mass on Monday, March 21st at 11:00 a.m. at All Saints Church in Hayward. Private Interment will follow at a future date. She will be greatly missed. Please remember her and keep her in your heart forever.
  • CharlesW
    May her memory be eternal.
  • G
    My prayers for her soul and the rest of your family, Father.

God bless you.
  • Maureen
    I will also pray for her and for the whole family.

So sorry to hear this.
  • francis
    My sincere condolences to you. Pax Christi.
  • JennyJenny
    Condolences, Father, to you and your family.

May perpetual light shine upon Martha.
  • Dear Fr. Keyes,

May angels lead your dear Mom to paradise, may the martyrs welcome her home to the bosom of Abraham. May she and you and your entire family abide in the Heart of Jesus, where authentic love never dies.

I couldn't help but notice that her maiden name is Sullivan, and that she passed on the 16th, the eve of St. Patrick. I pray she is feasting with that apostle of Ireland even now.