When to sing?
  • Greetings, Please forgive such a very simple question, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly when certain chants start in the Solemn Mass and Missa cantata. For example, does the choir sing the Introit AS the priest is reciting the Preparatory prayers or do they wait for the Introit (as in low Mass)? If someone has a handy guide for this, I'd really appreciate it!

Mike
  • RobertRobert
    The introit should really begin before the priest even gets to the altar, although this is seldom observed. See the preface of the Liber Usualis. In most places the introit begins when the priest begins the prayers at the foot of the altar.
  • Yes, check out the rubrics in the Liber Usualis. Timing will also depend on logistics and customs in your church. In my experience for the 1962 Missal:

For Sunday Mass with Asperges rite, begin the Introit anytime after the Asperges rite ends (while the priest is vesting for Mass). Definitely during the prayers at the foot of the altar. For Masses without Asperges, the Introit can begin during the procession, or as soon as the priest reaches the sanctuary.

For the Kyrie, I begin anytime after the priest ascends the altar steps, so this chant accompanies the priest's recited Introit as well as the incensation, if that is taking place. The Gloria takes place after both chanted and recited Kyries are finished, so whoever finishes the Kyrie first (schola or priest) waits for the other before the Gloria is intoned.

Gradual/Alleluia. After the Epistle is finished. Often, the priest will lay his left hand on the altar as a signal to servers and schola.

Credo. When the priest returns to the center of the altar. Lately, I've learned to wait until he's replaced his maniple before giving the organ intonation.

The Offertory begins any time after the Dominus vobiscum.....Oremus.

Sanctus. Begin immediately after the bells are rung. Some churches separate Sanctus and Benedictus. In this case, I begin the Benedictus after the priest's genuflection to the Precious Blood.

Agnus Dei. After the Pax Domini.

Communio. This varies. Some places, the Communio is at the beginning of the congregation's Communion (just after Ecce Agnus Dei....Domine non sum dignus). Other places, the Communio is sung at the end, after the ablutions. I guess local custom holds here. Other Communion music can fit around, but stops when the priest goes to the Epistle side to recite the Communio and the post-communion prayer.

With the 1962 Mass, the schola is often singing while other actions are taking place in the sanctuary--I think of this as liturgical multi-tasking.
  • Thanks everyone. That really helps.

Regarding the Epistle, the Rubrics of EF do mention that if the priest reads it at the altar, we can start the gradual then. This is a bit of a strange situation -- the reason I wanted clarification -- since we are essentially singing the choir parts of high Mass (w/o responses) for a low Mass. In our diocese, that's the only option we had since the priest does not sing and was not really willing to learn at his age. I know that I might have to go to confession for this, but I see it as a step on the way to the proper celebration of a high Mass or Missa cantata. We hope to be able to do that as soon as a couple of our priests learn the rite this summer. Tomorrow is the big day. Pray for us!
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I have heard arguments on exactly what may be sung of the High Mass at the Low Mass. One argument is that nothing whatsoever of the High Mass may be used at a Low Mass. The other one was that any of the Propers can be used, but as soon as anything from the Ordinary is sung, that make it a High Mass and everything MUST be sung. The Ordinary does involve the Celebrant and the people, so it's logical that a High Mass would be happening. At a Low Mass, all of the music is simply 'music performed AT the Low Mass', it is not the Mass. In that case, the music should never impede the flow of the Mass - which the priest is saying. Many parishes have the priest reading the Lessons aloud, in a clear voice, so the people can hear every word of the Latin. With translations in their hands, then there is no need for the Lessons to be repeated at the beginning of the Sermon. I think this is a beautiful and important part of the Low Mass. I'm involved in one weekly Low Mass where the whole congregation says the Prayers and the foot of the Altar, and I actually like that, too.

I have been singing Introits as preludes for some time now. Almost all of them take between 4 and 5 minutes. If you start as soon as the Entrance into the Sanctuary (hence the name "Introit") it should take you right through to the priest starting the Introit or Kyrie. Offerories (except some during Lent that are quite long) can easily fit their liturgical space. And it is permissible to add Psalm verses to the Communion Antiphon to fill the whole time there. If the priest is willing to let you take the extra time between the Lessons, you might consider using the Rossini 'Psalm tone' versions of those parts to save time, and to learn the tones.

If you are looking for organ accompaniment to any of this, send me an email privately.
  • Just got back from our "hybrid" Mass. Everything went well for the most part. We sang at all the right places but a few starts were not as good as we had rehearsed. That's natural for a group doing their first EF Mass. The priest is a very old Irishman, who gamely tried to chant his parts -- although we were not expecting that!. Our next EF Mass will hopefully be closer to home and with a priest who will be learning this summer at Mundelein. He's a super guy and a pretty good chanter -- he worked with us for our Epiphany Vespers in January. I have to say that the folks are getting better and learning faster all the time. It's not a professional group and I have let a couple of people join who really have the heart but not the voice. At this point, I'm building things from people who have to serve at their own parishes on most Sundays.

Mike
  • Michael O'Connor,

I'm glad to hear your schola's first Mass went well, and that the priest sang his parts. Though not the ideal, the priest can sing his parts recto tono (on one note) in a high Mass, comparable to a beginning schola using psalm tone or Rossini for propers. You might encourage your priest to sing recto tono, especially if he doesn't know the chants or doesn't consider himself very musically talented.
  • David,

This was a one-time thing for now. The church we sang at is the only church in the diocese with an EF Mass. They have a regular group there, although its mostly for hymns and some ordinary parts. The priest is a wonderful man, but totally threw us off by trying to sing. We were not expecting him to. The pitches he gave us were pretty inaudible and not very centered. Like you said, at least he tried. BTW his homily was on his astonishment at finding out the some American bishops opposed the motu proprio. He is retired and had not heard about this. All in all we enjoyed the experience. We have to find places to sing around here, since chant is not exactly the first music choice in 100% of the churches in this diocese.