View from the other side on another list - Spiritual Whiplash
  • Quoted:

You've hit the nail on the head for me in how I feel/think/acclaim at that moment. Using the "Christ has died" actually - for me - corresponds with the presider's exhortation to "proclaim the mystery of faith." The other three seemed a bit disjunctive, but still followed the past/present/future formula, so I "used" them often and seasonally (the next best remembered I think is #2 "Dying you destroyed" - again because of the poetry and parallelism involved) - and without really studying the why till now - the other three DO shift the focus from the Father to the Savior and then we are shifted back to the Father - kind of like a spiritual whiplash...my experience is that #1's the most memorable of the four we have now. And not because it's used the most often either - it's poetry professing faith.
  • chonakchonak
    The three Memorial Acclamations in the Missale Romanum are addressed to Christ, and they do interrupt the Canon addressed to the Father with an invocation addressed to the Son. The writer of that comment calls this shifting of attention a form of "whiplash".

In contrast, "Christ has died" isn't addressed to the Son: it speaks of Christ in the third person. So it doesn't have this effect of shifting attention. However, it's not in the Missale, and it is reasonable to take the three options in the Missale as more accurately representing the normative design for this part of the liturgical rite.

So the writer is questioning whether the Memorial Acclamation was a good addition to the Roman Rite at all. Maybe he's becoming a traditionalist by accident. :-)
  • It's always interesting to see how other people interpret things.
  • What the author of the piece that frogman noel jones does not note in his quote is that in the current Roman Missal, "Christ has died" is listed as the first option. My parochial vicar told me that "Christ has died" really is not an acclamation; rather, it is a proclamation. In my blog, I laid out the argument for retiring this option as soon as possible so as to get the faithful used to the fact that we won't be using this anymore come the end of November 2011!!
  • BruceL
    Chonak: BINGO! Whoever is not against us is for us, right?
  • francis
    benedictgal

We also retired it months ago.
  • I am trying to get my parish to do the same. We need to wean people out of the first option and steer them to "When we eat this bread..." since this particular acclamation is retained (with some modificatinos). At least during Daily Mass, my parochial vicar has us chant "When we eat this bread..."