Of your charity, prayers please . . .
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I know it seems to be becoming more common for folks in the blogosphere to ask their compatriots on the various blogs and boards for prayers. I've seen requests for intercessory prayers here and on Fr. Z's blog as well. Now it's my turn.

I have just completed the major part of an interview process for a highly unique employment opportunity (which discretion prevents me from disclosing) as an organist/choirmaster, and things look promising. After years of working "in the trenches" for "spirit of Vatican II" parishes and putting up with the varying degrees of silliness that seems to attend these jobs, I now have before me the possibility of being offered a position where music, liturgy, spirituality and a truly peaceful, faith-filled Catholic culture are not just a dream but a reality.

Even the simplest prayer, a Pater Noster or Ave Maria on my behalf would go a long way in helping to bring a sense of clarity to this issue.

My patrons are Benedict and Andrew, so requests for their intercessions wouldn't go amiss either.

My thanks to all who can take a moment to pray for me. When news becomes final, I'll be (with Father's permission) posting formal announcements of the appointment, should I be fortunate enough to be offered the position.

Thank you to all.
  • athome
    David,
    I too have recently asked for prayers from this forum, and have felt the fruits of them already. You are most certainly in my prayers.
    I look forward to your announcement!
    Peace,
    Adam
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Adam,

I just re-read your post requesting prayers, and I hope you are on the road to feeling some sense of healing.

(I apologize to the rest of the forum if this may seem a bit "voyeuristic" to read, not unlike hearing the heart-felt, but rather discomforting "eulogies" that get presented at funerals sometimes).

In my present circumstance, during the course of an otherwise perfectly honest conversation, the perspective Pastor asked me why my job history was so checkered. I'm certain he didn't see the emotional wounds and scars he was tearing open, but with reckless abandon I told him, in "Reader's Digest" versions, the stories of the various indignities I'd suffered at the hands of socially, emotionally, spiritually and professionally inept priests and fellow "Co-workers in the Vineyard" over the course of my many years as a professional Catholic church musician. I was drained at the end of the conversation, and was certain that it spelled certain death for my chances in this case. To my surprise he still wishes to pursue conversations about the position, and I'm humbled and gratified that my otherwise "damaged" past is not being held against me.

I tell you this as further encouragement for your situation and your future, and, as promised in my reply to your original request for prayers, I'll continue to hold you and all dedicated musicians up in prayer as often as I can!