Looking for Handl (Gallus) mass.
  • I am looking for a copy of Handl(Gallus)'s mass Missa super Sancta Maria for 8 voices. Does anyone have a copy? Or does anyone have access to the collected works/old facsimile and can scan me a copy to make a new edition?

I realise this is pretty recondite...

Thanks
  • There doesn't seem to be such a mass in 8 voices, but there's one in 6 voices (recorded by van Nevel and Jan Rozehnal) which is in Denkmäler der Tonkunst in Österreich, v. 119. Let me see what's out there before I start talking about violating copyright.
  • My mistake, I meant six voices.

Thank you, I hadn't found the edition you've mentioned, I had only found the collected works published in Slovenia.

Naturally, I wouldn't wish anyone to infringe copyright. I was merely hoping for an antiquated edition long freed from copyright restrictions.

But thanks for making it sound illicit and mildly exciting.
  • The DTÖ is a bit recent ('69) but common enough, and I suspect most libraries don't police their copiers. And it's in fairly normal notation (modern clefs). I didn't find anything online, but maybe somebody else will.
  • FYI, this setting of the Mass (which is fabulously beautiful) is now available from Presto Publications, and very worthy of your attention.
  • Paul Pisk, while a student of Guido Adler, transcribed the masses of Gallus for the DTO in the very early 20th Century. I believe that these volumes might now be in the public domain. I have fond memories of Dr. Pisk talking of the "unique- ness" of these masses.
  • IIRC, that volume is © 1959, so no luck there. ..I checked it at the beginning of this thread.