Rare Books
  • gregpgregp
    I must presume on the graciousness of the hosts here to ask a question that is only vaguely (if at all) related to Sacred Music, but I know of no other forum with the erudite commentators that I could trust. So I'm basing the relevance on the degree of knowledge of the Forum.

I have an old (300 years) book which I would like to sell, but I am not in an area where booksellers are interested in anything much besides comic books and collectibles. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy agent for this kind of transaction?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I hate to bring up the obvious but you will get your best price on eBay
  • gregpgregp
    Really? I work in IT but I've never used it. I went and looked on it, but only saw more dealers of the comic books and collectibles. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places....
  • I don't know how commissions, etc. work, but many sellers of old books also use Abebooks.com That site is also a great place to get an idea of the price to set... that is where I found my copy of Nova Organi Harmonia...
    I've bought Libers, Ward books, and many other things on eBay
  • GO TO ABEBOOKS

Abebooks is awesome
  • Chris
    I can positively recommend abebooks, as well.
    But the question is whether Abebooks buys rare books as versus just sells them as a kind of consortium of used book dealers. In any case, you can check the title here
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Depending on where you're located, Loome's Antiquarian Books in Stillwater, MN is without a doubt, hands down the best dealer of antiquarian liturgical (and church-related as well as not church-related) books in the US. They frequently have listings on Abebooks, and really know their stuff.

You might want to consider contacting them for further information.

On a side-note, I was going through my books last week and stumbled upon a rather innocent looking pamphlet entitled, "Vestments of the Roman Rite" by Adrian Fortescue. Just a little 30-page pamphlet, staple-bound. Nothing big. Until I looked it up on Abebooks and discovered that Loome's had a copy of if for sale at the modest price of $275.00.

You just never know, do you.