Conducting chant Q
  • I am the director of a small chant/polyphony choir which has been singing the propers in one form or another going on three years now. Yet I have a very basic nuts-and-bolts conducting question. When the choir is singing one of the simpler propers with multiple verses so as to occupy the time during the liturgical action at the altar, how do you visually indicate to the choir that it should (in the case of the Introit and Communion) move to the "Gloria Patri" and then to the final recitation of the antiphon? I've used several different hand signals and am pretty unhappy with all of them. What do you do?
  • Kathy
    Have you tried holding your hand out flat, palm down, fingers spread, and moving it back and forth from right to left? That seems to work for me as a "this is the end" symbol.
  • I thought holding one hand in a fist was the universal sign for "this is the last one."
  • gregpgregp
    I made a little sign that says "Doxology". I hold that up when I want them to sing that next.
  • dad29
    Another time-honored signal is the "cutting one's throat" sign. Move either index finger across your throat....
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • I use a modified "Dad" solution: hand, palms down, held still in front of the throat (no slicing involved) to end/doxology.
    The closed fist is my designation for unison in hymn verses; four extended fingers horizontally indicates SATB.
  • dad29
    Slice adds Spice!
  • Kathy
    Slice is nice, but only if you're in a choir loft or otherwise hidden.

I do the four extended fingers for SATB, one extended finger for unison. The fist I save for when the tenors take liberties. To the moon! (Just kidding)
  • incantuincantu
    For the communion we have one of five soloists begin each verse, and the rest of their section (men or women) join after the bar line. When it's time to begin the Gloria Patri, whoever is next in rotation begins the doxology, and the entire choir concludes it. That way only one person needs to catch the signal, which is the index finger extended upright and moving in a circle (i.e., "wrap it up"). Since we rarely have occasion to do more than 5 verses, if someone looks uncertain and it's not time for the Gloria Patri, then I will instead sign the number of the verse to be sung.
  • Wow, I think I've done all of these! I usually reserve "the slice" for cutting the choir off unexpectedly, such as when action at the altar suddenly ends far sooner than I expected (usually due to me not paying enough attention to the fact that the altar boys didn't bring out the thurible). I've generally settled upon "the fist" per MarkThompson but was hoping there was a somewhat gentler option.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Doing the chicken dance always gets their attention and your point across.

This tends to be frowned upon by priest, people, choir and God though...

It is especially bad when the choir is located at the front of the church...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    index finger extended upright and moving in a circle (i.e., "wrap it up")

Man. That's my "keep going (as in round and round)" signal.
    (Just a reminder- when guest conducting, make no assumptions!)

I use the "Power to the People" fist for "this is the last time." I think that sign is universal among marching and jazz bands.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've seen someone put their hand in the shape of a C, for "coda".

We should all learn American Sign Language fingerspelling. Might come in handy.
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps a sign for the Gloria Patri could be to cross oneself?