Celebrating John Dunn
  • Some CMAA forum readers may be interested in yesterday’s Mass of Thanksgiving celebrating John Dunn’s 48 years of service to St. Paul Parish in Cambridge, Massachusetts. John began playing the organ at St. Paul under the direction of Theodore Marier and in 1963 became a faculty member and assistant director of the newly formed Boston Archdiocesan Choir School. John’s contribution to the choir school hymnal, Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles, is incalculable. In 1974 he became principal of the school and upon Marier’s retirement in 1986 he assumed the role of music director. In 1998, he became headmaster in addition to his duties as music director.

I’ve listed the music for this mass below. It is a rather typical 11AM Sunday service for St. Paul, although the addition of choir school alumni and the mixed-voice Adult choir (they normally sing at the Sunday 9:30AM mass) meant that there was no anthem or motet with just boys and men’s schola. As is usual, the boys sang descants to the hymns.

Prelude: Pièce d’Orgue J.S. Bach (Jennifer Lester, assistant organist-director)

Processional hymn: Easter Glory Fills the Sky (tune: Chislehurst); all eight
    verses, plus organ improvisatory interludes and a
    repeat of vs. 1, were needed to cover the procession
    and incensing of the altar.

Rite of Sprinkling: Marier setting of “Springs of Water, Bless the
    Lord” with chanted verses

Glory to God: Marier English setting for SATB choir and
    Congregation

Responsorial Psalm Marier setting of Ps 16 ( for those unfamiliar with the
    Marier Psalter settings, the choir intones the
    refrain which is repeated by congregation; the first
    half of each verse is sung in unison to a Gregorian
    mode (T. 6 in this case) and the second half is sung
    in a SATB arrangement with the Gregorian
    melody in an inner voice (alto in this case).

Gospel Acclamation The Alleluia to the hymn Victory with verses sung
    SATB with the alto line being the mode 5 melody
    (beginning on the reciting tone). Being the Easter
    season, the Alleluia was repeated after the Gospel.

Profession of Faith: Marier’s English single-pitch setting of the Creed
    with its ingenious organ accompaniment.

Preparation Rite: O God Beyond All Praising (tune: Thaxted)

Sanctus: from Langlais’ Messe Solennelle (Langlais was a
    friend of Marier and provided him with
    snippets for the congregation to sing; it has
    been a staple of the choir school repertory.)

Memorial Acclamation: Marier’s unison English setting of form D
    Amen: Dresden Amen in parts with descant

Our Father Marier’s unison English chant setting

Communion: ‘Come, My Way’ from Vaughan Williams’ Mystical
    Songs; Jennifer Lester, soprano solo
    (This was a last minute addition due to the
    illness of an alumnus who was to sing.)

‘My Soul Rejoices in My God,’ Marier’s
    wonderful English SATB setting of the
    Magnificat.

Recessional Hymn: Alleluia! Alleluia! Sing a New Song (tune: Byrn myrddin)

Postlude: Paraphrase on “Te Deum Laudamus” by Langlais (John
    Dunn, organist)

I’ll anticipate your questions:

(1) No, a decision on John Dunn’s replacement as not been made. A distinguished committee, made up of mostly musicians from outside the school, has kept its deliberations close to the vest. The final decision rests with the pastor, Fr. Robert Congdon, who by the way is a concert level pianist. You know as much as those of us in the parish. I’ll keep you posted of any breaking news.

(2) The Latin introits are sung only on Sundays of Advent, Lent and special feasts. Music for the Ordinary alternates from week to week with no preference being given to English or Latin. The range extends from traditional Gregorian settings and Renaissance polyphony to masses by Bruckner, Heiller, Schroeder and Woolen. Interestingly, though Marier was renowned as a Gregorian chant advocate and scholar, his English mass settings are among the best things to be heard at St. Paul.

(3) Choral music at St. Paul follows the academic schedule. June 1, therefore, is the last choir mass of the season.

(4) John intends to continue work on the revision of the BACS hymnal during his retirement. Since completion depends on approved translations, there is no firm publication date that can be promised. It better not be too long, however, the old hymnals are starting to show their age.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Heath
    I'm dying to give this thing a try. When I was finally able to get my hands on this hymnal (through an inter-library loan), I was enamored with this setting. What a wonderful way to sing the Creed without having to teach a long, difficult melody!

Our bishop is coming by in September; I may break this out . . .

So the hymnal is definitely getting revised and re-released?
  • mjballoumjballou
    What is the full name of the "BACS hymnal"? We're not very well-read down here in Florida.
  • incantuincantu
    Boston Archdiocesan Choir School
  • Randolph, thanks for one of the most well-written posts I ever read.