PBC choir edition
  • I direct a small choir at a small church and have my choir sing a lot of Latin hymns out of the Parish Book of Chant. However, so many of the hymns are not all written out, but only have the music for the first verse and then just the text for the other verses.

Is there any chance CMAA could produce an choir edition of the PBC that has every piece fully notated? I know they have notated versions of the hymns online for free, but that is another thing to print and hand out and more music to keep track of, and it is just so nice to be able to tell the choir to pick up their PBCs and turn to page such-and-such, and have all those hymns in one place.
    Of course a choir edition would cost more and thus is not as affordable for use in the pews, but just buying a few copies for the choir seems reasonable to me.
  • You can print out full editions from the website.

But this does bring up a point. We are looking at a 3rd edition, and this will be added along with a bigger kyriale and some other stuff. Stay tuned (but it could be another 6 months before we get going on this).
  • Maybe in the next edition, it could be on Lulu so we could have a choice for coil binding?
  • gregpgregp
    I'll second that motion (coil). I got one of the first copies for Chant Intensive at Loyola in June 2008, and my copy, which gets folded back, knocked around and generally used well, just fell to pieces.

And the one complaint from my schola is that they don't have the music for the verses written out, but as Jeffrey said on another thread, printing out copies of things gets old fast.
  • Kathy
    The whole set of proper chants for the Requiem Mass would be nice to have in the PBC.
  • Print on Demand is vastly more expensive. The book would run closer to $20 with no wholesale discounts at all. So this is a problem. Coil binding would be a problem for the pews.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Print on Demand is vastly more expensive. The book would run closer to $20 with no wholesale discounts at all. So this is a problem. Coil binding would be a problem for the pews.

Perhaps people want coil binding for just one or two copies for the organ console and the conductor (who need their hands free?). They might be willing to pay a higher price for those copies. I don't know the Lulu economics, is there a set-up fee?
  • It seems quite reasonable to charge more for the coil bound copies, just as publishers do for their accompaniment books.

I wouldn't suggest the use of coil bound copies in pews—just for those who need them to lay flat.
  • Sure, this is easily done on lulu. If we only sold a few that would be fine.
  • To make books really useful and longer lasting for the members of the Schola Cantorum and Schola Puerorum,
    I have been in the habit of having the Lulu perfect-binding books coil-bound at my local copy center.

The availability of coil-bindings from Lulu would be greatly appreciated.

Deo gratias!
  • it is easily done
  • gregpgregp
    Any news on this 3rd edition?
  • francis
    OK... I am ready to buy choir copies en masse. Is the third edition ready?
  • ha! we still have some surplus of the old edition.
  • francis
    will just print the separate pieces that rr put up. when will choir edition come out? any plans?