Mystery Angelus - What Hymnal?
  • mjballoumjballou
    I have a sheet with a chant setting of the Angelus, square-note notation, credited to Dom Charpentier, OSB. I don't know where I got it from! I checked the Pius X, St. Gregory, St. Basil, New St. Gregory. No luck. It's facing pages 202-203 and identified as 144 on the left page. And is in the section of the mystery collection for the Blessed Virgin (footer on the pages).

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I spent way too many years in school to be so sloppy with my sources.

(Of course, my copy includes a footprint where I stepped on it next to my desk.)
  • Hello.

It is from the SSPX Hymnal, which they chose to call the "Traditional Roman Hymnal"
  • mjballoumjballou
    Thank you. I must have downloaded this at some point because I don't own this hymnal. Now that I know its origin, I can stop fussing about it and just teach it to my schola (after I teach it to myself).
  • GABC of this music, and the text of the prayer, for those interested in printing up a fresh, clean copy.

℣. Orémus.
    GRATÍAM tuam quaésumus, Dómine, méntibus nostris infúnde; † ut qui, Ángelo nuntiánte, Christi Fílii tui incarnatiónem cognóvimus, * per passiónem eius et crucem, ad resurrectiónis gloriam perducámur. Per eúmdem Christum Dóminum nostrum. ℟. Amen.
  • Thank you, cantorconvert. One small query: should the final note of "Genitrix" not be dotted, i.e. Gé(h)ni(f)trix.(f.) ?
  • yup, fixed
    Thanked by 1Ben_Whitworth