Chant Conference in Halifax, N.S.
  • Call for Papers

CHANT: OLD AND NEW

A conference organized by
    The Gregorian Institute of Canada
    August 4-7, 2011
    Dalhousie University
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Gregorian Institute of Canada has focused from its inception on performance, providing a unique opportunity for scholars and performers from Canada and around the world to share and discuss their ideas, research and experience. This year's theme-Chant: Old and New-is inspired by a particular chant book, which makes Halifax's Saint Mary's University its home: the Salzinnes Antiphonal, a 16th-century Cistercian manuscript from what is now the region of Namur in modern-day Belgium. Some of the manuscript's musical riches will be presented in concert during the conference by five-time Grammy winning composer, conductor and performer, PAUL HALLEY and members of his University of King's College (Halifax) Chapel Choir. MARGOT FASSLER, recently appointed the Keough-Hesburgh Professor of Music History and Liturgy at the University of Notre Dame, will be giving a plenary address and SUSAN HELLAUER, of Anonymous 4 fame, will be leading workshops in chant performance.

Submissions on any topic of chant research are welcome, but paper and workshop proposals that address the broadly conceived colloquium theme-Chant: Old and New- are particularly encouraged. Suggested topics include 'late' chant, however it is defined; traces of old repertories found in newer collections; old assumptions and new methodologies; 'old' print indices and 'new' digital resources for chant research; chant in the Old and New Worlds; European chant books found in the Americas or Australia; new chant books published for New World congregations; French Baroque Plainchant, including chant in Nouvelle-France; and old or new performance practices.

Please send a 250-word abstract to the program committee at igc.gic at gmail.com. Abstracts may be sent and papers presented in either English or French. Conference papers will be limited to 30 minutes, followed by a 10-minute discussion period. Performance practice workshops will last 40 minutes.

The deadline for proposals is February 1, 2011.

For further information, please visit the Gregorian Institute of Canada website at www.gregorian.ca.
  • RobertRobert
    As a resident of Halifax and a member of the Gregorian Institute of Canada I would like to encourage American readers of this forum to consider attending this. Nova Scotia is not too far from the northeastern U.S. and it's a nice vacation spot in the summer. I am looking forward to having lots of chant enthusiasts gather in my hometown for what promises to be a very memorable colloquium!
  • I'm hoping to make it. I'll be in upstate NY just before the conference and would relish a drive through that part of Canada.
  • Would this be an appropriate Colloquium for medium level Chant musicians, or is it best for advanced?
  • On the practical side, beginners would likely be OK. I doubt there there will be any advanced teaching (but I could happily be wrong). This is primarily an academic conference with scholars presenting their work. Susan's workshop seems to be an add-on since she will be there performing.