Deus in adjutorium in Fr. Weber's new Compline book
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Did anybody else rush out and buy this book, like me? If so, does anyone know where he gets his Deus in ajutorium tone? It doesn't match anything in the Liber Usualis, the Antiphonale Monasticum (1934 or 2005), or the Antiphonale Romanum scanned on musicasacra.com.

Just curious what the source is...
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • waiting for mine...
  • i received mine...was disappointed to pay $20 for 60 pages of basic Marian antiphons that have been reprinted a million times...but the rest of the book is decent.....
  • chonakchonak
    Just came across this today at the Trappist abbey in Spencer, MA and snapped it up. It is quite decent!

Pace BachLover2, those Marian antiphons only run 10 pages, and most of the book is occupied by the seven-day psalter, and the hymnal section.

The layout and typography could have been a little more beautiful. They're similar to the design for the chant material in the Adoremus Hymnal. Maybe it's just taste: I think Times Roman just doesn't look right for singing, somehow. But all in all it's a well-done book at a good price.

Here's a link to the book description at Amazon and at Ignatius.
  • oh this is the best thing in print for Office hymns. That is worth the price, many times over.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I like the book too, Mr. Tucker, but really, wouldn't you say the best thing in print for Office Hymns is the Liber Hymnarius? :) There are only just a few hymns for Compline (but varying melodies for different liturgical days).

If you're looking for vernacular, then you have to jump around a bit and take the melodies from the Liber Hymnarius with the translations in the Mundelein Psalter (which does have some written out with melodies).
  • Yes, but you make my point.
  • a1437053a1437053
    REQUESTING: recordings of the ordinary parts of Weber's Compline.
  • I've been thinking about doing this myself.
  • a1437053a1437053
    When you published this http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/02/sing-compline-for-lent.html, someone in the comments had mentioned they were planning to do this. The comments are now gone, but perhaps that person reads this forum.

Either way, a musicasacra.com page dedicated to links of mp3 versions of ANYTHING would be pretty useful. Or that wiki someone keeps mentioning.
  • The original question has still not been answered, and I'm curious myself. My only complaints about this book are:
    1. Omission of the 3 traditional "Deus in adjutorium" tones as found in the Liber, etc.
    2. Omission of a Latin Cofiteor
    3. Non-gregorian psalm tones in english (I understand this would take some adaptation, but it's still possible!).

As a result, I've printed #1 and 2 and taped them on the inside cover of my book. Other that these, this book has everything we've been waiting for to sing compline correctly!!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I'm currently (very slowly) working on pointing the Grail and Revised Grail Psalms to authentic Gregorian psalm tones.

I know there is a divergence of opinion on this. There are some who believe that authentic psalmtones are not appropriate with English. I generally understand this is because of two reasons: 1) some modes in particular are complicated and this could be a stumbling block to getting the non-trained person singing them; 2) some believe very strongly (particularly those who have much experience chanting to psalmtones) that the traditional psalmtones are incompatible with English.

I concede #1. But, I believe that #2 is not the case. (I believe I'm not alone - see Richard Rice's version of Communio with English verses.) Of course, it takes creativity and flexibility, and it won't have the same flow as it does with Latin, but when I pray privately, or prepare something for my schola, I generally prefer chanting in English to authentic Gregorian tones. This requires that the text be pointed carefully ahead of time, however, as knowing where to sing what is not at all as intuitive as with Latin. (It also requires a translation like the Grail/Revised Grail, prepared with an eye to singing rhythms.) One can achieve some sense of consistency if a consistent set of rules is followed for figuring out where the accents fit in, however. I know what generally works for me.

My order of priority for pointing the Psalms has been Sunday Vespers, but I'd be happy to put Compline on the front burner if there's an interest in them.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • pavlich
    Hello, SkirpR; I just came across this post of yours from several years ago. Have you made further progress on Gregorian psalm tones for the Revised Grail? I would be very interested in seeing this.
    [If you want to send an individual a message, you can do this through the user's profile page.--admin]
  • I have nothing against omitting the original Deus in Adjutorium tones because I find them very boring honestly. They should certainly be found in a serious office book, but i dont think anyones expecting Fr. Samuel to produce work thats overly traditional. If he's going to be innovative, with some basis in tradition, may as well make it interesting. He does have good taste, everything he works with certainly sounds catholic.