Graduale Simplex and the chant between the readings
  • What is the purpose of the Psalmus alleluiaticus in the Graduale Simplex? Specifically, why might one use it instead of the Alleluia?

The preface says that on weekdays, rather when there is one reading before the Gospel, any of them may be sung. So the responsorial psalm can be omitted if (either version of) the Alleluia is sung? The Psalmus alleluiaticus is a lesson unto itself, but just the Alleluia?

For the Alleluia, when the preface says that at least five verses must be sung for the chant between the readings, do both verses given have to be sung?
  • The Graduale Simplex says (chapter 20 of the introduction) When two readings take place before the gospel, the songs assume the following order:
    1. Outside of Lent and Easter season, after the first reading the responsorial psalm is sung; after the second: either the alleluia psalm or the antiphon Alleluia with its verses (is sung). [you have your pick]
    2. In Lent, after the first reading: the first responsorial psalm; after the second: either the second responsorial psalm, or the antiphon of the acclamation, or the tract (is sung).
    3. In Easter season, after the first reading: either the first or second alleluia psalm; after the second (reading): either the second (psalm), or the antiphon Alleluia with its verses (is sung).

Whenever only one reading takes place before the gospel, only one song to be chosen at will from the appropriate songs is applied,

Moreover, at least five verses to be selected at will from the psalm are always sung, if more (verses) are given.
  • I read it and understand the plain meaning of the words; I just don’t get it.
  • This is confusing.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I agree this can be viewed as confusing. Must be the way some of us here are wired to find options confusing. But when faced with these sorts of situations, I try hard to focus on the fact that these options allow us to put our best musical foot forward by doing what can be sung well over what might not come across in the most musical manner (and therefore may distract from prayer).
  • With the understanding that the Simplex is to decrease the load on a choir, this begins to make sense.
  • My question was not just of what to do, but also what it is. I had never even heard of the Psalmus alleluiaticus before.

The Graduale Romanum may be helpful:

• Number nine of the instruction says when there is only one reading before the Gospel either the Graduale or the Alleluia (with its verse) is sung.
    • Number five says that during Paschaltide the response of the Gradual may be replaced with an Alleluia. Considering that the Responsorial Psalm has its origins in the Gradual, this may be the source of the Psalmus alleluiaticus
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear newmanbe,

If you read these discussions, and it is still not clear, please E-mail Fr. Samuel Weber.

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1852

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1819

Fr. Samuel Weber helped me to understand this very confusing situation.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I believe the Lectionary and/or GIRM also says that during the Easter season, the antiphon of the Responsorial Psalm may be replaced with Alleluia. In chant Masses, during Paschaltide (even before VII) there has never been much distinction between the Gradual and Alleluia during Paschaltide, as really there are basically just two Alleluias. The modern books simply give you a choice of which to use.
  • Ah, yes. Thank you Jeff and Skip. I had remembered that during Easter (and I've seen it occasionally in Ordinary Time, I think) the Responsorial Psalm antiphon may be replaced with Alleluia, but I think I was confused by the response actually coming after and responding to the verses in the Simplex as opposed to the more customary method of breaking up the verses and that there was an Alleluiatic Psalms for all seasons outside Lent.