• WGS
    The Introit for Low Sunday is identified as being in Mode VI, and the psalm verse starts out with the standard pattern for Mode VI using La for a reciting tone. However, the second half of the psalm verse is not written with the standard pattern. Instead, the reciting tone is on Fa somewhat like a Tonus Perigrinus. I presume that one should use the standard pattern for both halves of the Gloria Patri. Does anyone know the history of this anomaly?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Nothing to add to your question but I can advise against using the words QUASI MODO on the top of your liturgy program on sunday. Wow, we paid a big price for this two years ago.
  • GavinGavin
    Jeff brings up a fun question for discussion: what is Sunday? Low Sunday? Divine Mercy Sunday? 2nd Sunday of Easter? Dominica in Albis? Quasi Modo Sunday? Yeah, all those answers are correct, but what term do you use? And why would people take offense against that, Jeff?
  • JDE
    Have you ever seen a little motion picture called The Hunchback of Notre Dame? Well, it wasn't about Brady Quinn.

If you print the words quasi modo in a program, the vast majority of the un[der]educated will join them up and make them into a hunchback.

Sigh. This is why it's so hard to listen to the Walkürenritt with a straight face.
  • JDE
    And FWIW, we just call it "Divine Mercy Sunday," although my personal favorite is Domenica in Albis.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Well, the problem was that a certain celebrant received questions about why we put a Disney character on the program and the person in question didn't know the answer.

Essentially, well, we didn't entirely realize how much people do not know.

it was rather uncomfortable!
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    But what a teaching moment! That not only Disney, but a number of other "Hollywood" types actually used something from the Catholic Liturgy!

And who knows the reason he was named that?

He was found in a basket on the doorstep of the Cathedral on Low Sunday - which was only known as "Quasi modo" Sunday at that time. That part probably didn't come out clearly in the Disney cartoon, but it is VERY clear in some of the older movies.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JDE
    Sadly, Jeffrey's "Certain celebrant" is more typical than exceptional, at least among the clergy I have known over the years. They have varying degrees of cultural literacy, and I haven't found any that were interested in Hugo (except the ones who were a little too fond of Les Misérables).
  • The roster of Quasimodos is so cool over the century:
    Lon Chaney, Charles Laughton, Anthony Quinn and Anthony Hopkins! (The Disney drawing don't count!)
  • I also like Dominca in albis (the Sunday when the white garments are deposited).

Not sure about the Gloria Patri, but we just stuck with the mode VI designation and used that one. Worked just fine unless you were listening really closely.
  • incantuincantu
    How about "Got Milk?" Sunday.
  • GavinGavin
    incantu, traditionally the LATIN of the Introit is used, not the ICEL English :P