The Weekday Homily is a Recent Invention
  • Up until Vatican II daily Mass, be it a Low Mass or High Mass, was never anything but the priest offering Mass with a congregation. At no time did he step to the pulpit and preach.

Facing away from the congregation, he offered Mass for us, as we together with him faced the Altar and the Crucifix.

High Mass on weekday mornings was almost always an organist singing from the organ console, no microphones and, come to think of it, no microphones at all for the priest as well.

The organist was always hidden, either in the back of the church or in a loft to the side of the altar, with pillars or a screen to hide the organist and choir on Sundays, which is also the practice in Synagogues.
  • IanWIanW
    Sounds good to me, Noel.
  • Well, at one time the introduction of Sanctus to the mass was an invention. Ditto, sequences, even incense. We could go back to REALLY LIKE IT WAS and eliminate everything that's not mentioned in the Didache. One is not really intending to be snide, but every innovation is not ipso facto a Bad Thing. And (speaking only for myself, of course) I would not want to be considered so irrelevant and lacking in clericallity that I, the organist and choirmaster (and my choir) had to be hidden behind a screen. Nor would I want to have to endure one of those masses with someone screeching or crooning what was supposed to be Gregroian chant while playing the organ. There is plenty that went wrong after Vatican II; but there was plenty that was already wrong before Vatican II.
  • Maureen
    Re: weekday homilies

Yes, that's a new invention. However, there was plenty of weekday preaching of sermons outside of Mass. Dominicans were all about the public preaching in the square, that sort of thing. And the Franciscans, and the Precious Blood guys, and most of the missionary orders, too. They didn't wait for Sunday to have St. Albert the Great roll through town preaching Crusade, or whatever the preaching need of the moment might be.

Oh, and I think feastdays normally got homilies.
  • And (speaking only for myself, of course) I would not want to be considered so irrelevant and lacking in clericallity that I, the organist and choirmaster (and my choir) had to be hidden behind a screen.

Honestly, I believe that this is a BIG problem, since it says that we are singing for the people and so for them to see us enhances their appreciation of what we do.

Listen, when you sing from a loft you are further making yourself anonymous - just as everyone wearing clerical garb. And for this reason, I accept women wearing cassock and surplice.

There was no CROONING because there were NO MICROPHONES for singers and choir. Screeching, with some few soprano and tenor voices, will always be with us.
  • Having a visible choir does not in any way signal that they are singing just for the people. Far from it. It has never ocurred to me that, whether 'in choir' or in a west gallery, I was singing but to the All Holy. As we know, it is very common for Anglican/Episcopalian choirs to actually be situated in an actual choir. Their visibiliy does not translate their role into one of entertainment. It, rather, enhances and legitimises their liturgical role. Ditto many modern Catholic churches which place their choirs in visible areas (though they yet studiously avoid the architectural 'choir'). There is nothing so demeaning to the role of music and musicians, so indicative of their irrelevance as hiding them behind screens or putting them (a la Westminster Cathedral) in some hidden area behind the sanctuary where, physically and psychologically, they are not participants in the liturgical action, but only of peripheral and incidental importance to it. THIS is an example of an 'invention' which should never have been.

And, I would suggest that microphones are not necessary for crooning - though they do make it worse. (Also, I have seen, a long time ago, microphones haphazardly screwed onto organ consoles so that the 'organist' could screech into them while singing and playing; I remember observing that only Catholics would do something so impossibly tasteless.)
  • IanWIanW
    MJO,

I bet you like sermons with your evensong :-)
  • IanWIanW
    ... and as for 'visible' choirs - the great thing about the traditional Anglican placing of a choir is that, being seated North & South in high-fronted pews, it's barely visible. I sing monthly in one Catholic Church where we're at the front and facing the audience congregation. I squirm silently the whole mass through (but it's worth it because they're a great bunch and the music's good!).
  • IanWIanW
    I can thoroughly recommend singing from a west-end organ loft, though, for the opportunity to discretely read the Sunday newspaper during the homily.
  • Ha! Actually, I detest sermons at evensong. And, you are right about the 'in choir' seating. Visible does not translate into 'on display'. No one, after all, would say that because priest and acolytes are visible that they are entertaining us (would he?).

Reading the newspaper??? !!! Arrgh! - Another reason why choirs and organists should be 'in choir', participating wholly in the liturgy!
  • IanWIanW
    I'm afraid that can be the effect when the priest faces us, even though it's seldom intentional. And the acolytes are silent, so the problem doesn't arise.

ps you should hear the homilies.
  • IanWIanW
    Actually, my usually relaxed attitude to diocesan control tightens when it comes to homilies. I believe newly ordained deacons should be licensed for 3 minutes max. Their efforts would then be reviewed yearly by a Diocesan panel, made up of clergy and laity. The panel would have the right to grant an extension of a half minute a year, or to impose a restriction of the same. On reaching 6 minutes, the review would become trienial. Subsequently, two consecutive restrictions would trigger a return to yearly review.

There are so many sloppy homilies out there.

ps a newpaper's difficult when singing 'in choir', but a book is quite feasible. Only during the homily, you understand.
  • However, I feel that for Anglican Use, the choir should be visible.

I agree about disliking evensong sermons.
  • CharlesW
    "ps a newpaper's difficult when singing 'in choir', but a book is quite feasible. Only during the homily, you understand."

Can you say Kindle? ;-)

Actually, I don't remember sermons being given every Sunday before Vatican II.
  • Behold how good and joyful a thing it is that we have found agreement!
    It is like the precious oil upon the head, that ran down unto the beard,
    even unto Aaron's beard and went down to the skirts of his clothing...........
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think part of the problem with the weekday homily is that it makes the quality of homilies lower. How much work can be put in on a weekday homily? An hour if a priest is lucky...
  • even unto Aaron's beard and went down to the skirts of his clothing...........

I hate it when that happens.
  • Okay, I'll bite: High Mass on weekday mornings was almost always ....without microphone.....

Given that the Christian era, before Vatican II, was some 1930 years...yes, I agree there was rarely a microphone. Probably not an organist that often either.

"At no time did he step to the pulpit and preach.
    .... I'll bet priests preached more often than never....1930 years is a long time.
    There was that famous sermon from Lady Margaret Beaufort's month's mind Mass in 1509. It's awfully hard in Catholic experience, to say, "always" or "never."
  • Between 1860 and 1965 Masses were sung everywhere, including daily high Mass without microphones. It was not permitted.
  • Not permitted??? What a fine idea!
    Then, perhaps, we would again build churches with the acoustics which make a PA system needless... pointless.
    I know of two prominent (Catholic) churches in Houston which actually have padded walls!
  • Maureen
    OMG. I hate to break this to you, then, but not having a homily at every Sunday Mass was an abuse. There was always supposed to be one, even if it were short. You were allowed to even copy them out of books, if you couldn't write one yourself or speak ex tempore. It could be on any subject, not just the readings (technically, that's a sermon and not a homily). But you were always supposed to have one!

Argh argh argh argh.

The other thing about having a homily, or a sermon, was that it permitted the priest to repeat the readings in the vernacular. If you read somebody like Archbishop Wulfstan, all the way through to priests quite recently, they would often translate a line or two of the Gospel or the other readings into the vernacular, explain it, and then talk some more about its meaning. There would often be exempla (anecdotes or fables), and there would always be admonishment. There are huge cycles of these things.

Bah. And people wonder why things went to pot so quickly after Vatican II. The rot was so far gone, it only needed a kick to disintegrate it.
  • Padded walls can be useful when a director of music is forced to lead On Beagles Wings. Cushions the head when banging it against the walls. Pot did, and I am told, still serves to blunt the effects of leading and having to listen to bad music at Mass. And results in such things as telling brides that you will play Taco Bell if they insist.

One bizarre sermon I heard was when a priest with a rather low/average IQ preached on a pop song (ALWAYS A MISTAKE) and did not understand that the title had two meanings, the second one being very physical. In a biblical sense. Choir members did not look at each other.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I used to be organist at a Tridentine Mass held at a church that had CARPETED WALLS IN THE CHOIR LOFT.

I wish I could have heard the conversation that brought that change about...

Committee Woman 1: You know... the music's a bit loud...
    Committee Man 1: I think it's okay...
    Committee Woman 1: No it's definitely too loud..
    Committee Woman 2: Maybe a bit loud..
    Committee Man 2: Definitely way too loud.
    Committee Man 1: Maybe y'all are right... I have some left over shag carpet from when I did my living room...
    Priest: Shag... carpet...?
    Committee Woman 1: Oh, I bet your carpet would go lovely with the colors of the ceilings...
    Priest: Carpet on the ceiling!?
    Committee Woman 2: Don't be silly, Father!
    Committee Woman 1: It has to go on the walls in the choir loft...
    Committee Woman 2: All in favor?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    re: padded walls

A parish in the town I grew up in had this...
    I literally felt like there was something wrong with my ear just walking next to it. It was weird.

The church I work for worships in a gothic-ceilinged chapel which is very narrow, somewhat long, and very tall. Our cheapo Hammond sounds like a pipe organ and my choir of 5 old biddies sounds like Schola Hungarica. (okay, well- almost)
    It's ridiculous what architecture can do.
  • Old biddie alert. I see umbrellas and galoshes. Umbrellas with pointy ends to prod disrespectful choir directors!
  • The carpet, usually shag, came form sound people...."But father, there's going to be a lot of flash from that back wall, we have to fix it."

The same wall the architect put there to reflect sound from the choir back into the room, eliminating the for microphones.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Actually the carpeting on the walls in that church was put there because a pipe organ was moved from a much larger church to that church and wasn't voiced properly or really installed with proper due-respect. It was too big of a sound for a small building with very few parishioners attending Mass, so that's the likely reason why the carpet was put up.