Which Psalm at Mass?
  • Hi,

I know just enough to be dangerous, so I would like to know more so I don't hurt anybody.

My daughter is singing in the girls choir for the first Sunday of Advent. I noticed that the selection for the Psalm that Sunday is "To You, O Lord" by Scott Soper.

If I'm not mistaken, the upcoming year is cycle A. I checked the Chanabel Psalm site, and it lists Psalm 122 as the Psalm of that Sunday. This kind of substitution is quite common at my parish.

I tried to introduce the "MagnifiKid" child's missal to my daughter to help her engage the mass more deliberately. When the Psalm was substituted by something else, she said "Dad, if it's not in there, I don't want to use it." I was struck by her reaction. If we simply did the Psalm that the church directs us to do, my seven-year-old would be reading, (and wanting to read) the scripture passages along with the lector, choir, and priest each week. However, because of frequent "substitution" the idea of following along at mass is a non sequitur.

I don't want to whine, but I want to know if the "psalm substitution" is permitted, and if so, under what conditions? I'm certain that the choir director has no idea, but my daughter's perception of "freewheeling" disrupted even her participation at mass.

In short, what substitution is licit for the psalm, so that I can faithfully explain what are, and aren't permissible liberties with the psalms.

Thank you in advance,

Mark
  • Psalm 25 is a Common Psalm for Advent...

Is the one you're talking about the one that goes, "To You, O Lord, I lift up, I lift up my soul my God"?

I'm not a huge fan of substituting, but this seems to be legit. The only argument would be that this version changes the text of the refrain slightly.
  • In the GIRM, section 61 explains the use and substitution of the responsorial Psalm.

GIRM

However, it does state that the Psalm should be taken from the Lectionary. Psalm 122 is indeed the responsorial Psalm for the First Sunday of Advent A.
  • But in the Lectionary Psalm 25, 4bc-5ab. 8-9. 10 and 14 with response Ad te, Domine, levavi animam meam is also listed as a seasonal responsorial psalm for Advent.

61. [...] In the dioceses of the United States of America, the following may also be sung in place of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary for Mass: either the proper or seasonal antiphon and Psalm from the Lectionary, as found either in the Roman Gradual or Simple Gradual or in another musical setting; or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of the psalms and antiphons, including psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop.
  • Liam
    The seasonal psalm text also comes from the Lectionary, and its use is perfectly licit for the seasons where its uses is permitted. I don't think it's the best choice (the proper psalm text is often tied to the other readings more specifically), but it's certainly licit.

Put back that gun. And be wary of an attitude that searches for abuses; because, if you are a hammer, everything will eventually look like a nail. It's spiritually corrosive.
  • If we simply did the Psalm that the church directs us to do, my seven-year-old would be reading, (and wanting to read) the scripture passages along with the lector, choir, and priest each week. However, because of frequent "substitution" the idea of following along at mass is a non sequitur.

I'm sure there are many who do not share my view, but we are not at Mass to "follow along"—we are there to engage the scripture in the liturgy of the word, and to be nourished by our savior in the Eucharist. The thought of following along makes it seem like Mass is a play, with priest as the "show". God is the audience, and we are presenting our prayers and praises to him.

Now, I certainly understand that many churches have poor acoustics and bad sound systems to try to fix it, but I would try to steer clear of such a building. Teaching a young person to "read along" instead of listening just breaks my heart.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Marc
    I agree.
    I have heard Episcopalians described as "the people who read to God," and seems to true: at every Epsicopalian service I've ever been to, every prayer, every scripture passage, every everything, people are reading along in their little books/leaflets.

This is not a practice Catholics should adopt, in my opinion.
  • Hi,

Thanks, smvanroode and JC.

We're not trying to teach our child to "read along." We're trying to have her move toward "pray along." Perhaps I didn't choose my words as precisely as I could.

Two things have resulted from the substitutions:

• She has no interest in the MagnifiKid because of the substitution. She was reading the scripture as it was being proclaimed, but when the Psalm was switched she put the booklet down. "It's not in here!" she protested. Now, she is only open to reading when the Indian priest reads the Gospel, and his heavy accent gets in the way of her understanding if she simply listens. She's easily distracted by her 2-year-old sister. She's more interested in her sister than the liturgy. If she was reading/praying along, she might be able to enter into the mass more deeply.

• She sees the choir director/music director as the person who has the power to change stuff at mass.

I'm not trying to be a hammer. In fact I'm trying to avoid falling down that well. That's the question. I'm simply trying to know how to explain what is and isn't okay. To my seven-year-old, everything seems like it's up for grabs. That's not right for her to think that. I don't know what to tell her. Thanks to smvanroode and JC. I can look up what I need.

It's confusing, the OF has so many options. It's hard to know what's an option, and what's an innovation.

Again, thanks for the resources.

-Mark
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is an important lesson that parents seem loathe to teach their children early:
    "Adults are sometimes wrong and stupid, and do things that don't make any sense."
  • Adam,

You've brought a warm smile and chuckle my way. Thanks for the wisdom and levity! What a spot-on lesson.

Cheers!

-Mark
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanks!!
  • Maureen
    It would be nice if somebody told the kids, the congregation at large, etc., that there is such a thing as a seasonal psalm and other options. I always just assumed that music directors pulled psalms out of their butts most of the time, myself. And I'm sure that sometimes people did, since I was a kid in the Seventies and Eighties -- but ever since I was clued into the seasonal psalms' existence, it turns out they usually are being faithful to some option of the rubrics.

And yes, it's all fine and dandy to say that people shouldn't be addicted to their little books; but the Vatican has also repeatedly said that the congregation is supposed to study the weekly Mass' scriptural readings (and study them ahead of time, even, or for the entire week afterward). And yes, the readings do work better as a set than as isolated passages and psalms and propers.
  • It was not until the 70's that Catholics began peering into their laps during the readings instead of listening, aside from those who carried Missals.

[she said BUTTS!]
  • Now the next psalm I have pulled, kicking and screaming, from my butt.

or

It's just like....can't believe I almost typed what I was thinking.

[it must be sleep deprivation. At some point in working with horses, you realize that there are things that a vet does that you can do yourself, often with a vets approval and encouragement, after all they don't like getting out of bed in the middle of the night any more than the rest of us (monks and nuns, ignore that whining) but you do reach a point instead of dosing the horse a second time that you realize that the medicine is working so well that there is no way that you can get any more down the throat and let them go, hopeful that you will not be renting a back-hoe the next morning. And this morning he was fine.]

But there is a time when you have to stop the choir and tell them. "You know it, you don't think you know it, but you do and I am tired of you not trusting me. When I say it's ready, it's ready. How many times have you fallen apart while singing for me?"

And they never forget that once, that did happen....of course. it was their fault but to them it was yours!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When I was a precocious (And obnoxious) teenaged cantor, I once got a very stern, all-up-in-my-face reprimand from the parish music director because I changed the random, whatever-I-felt-like-picking-out "psalm" to the actual Psalm for the Sunday. (The accompanist, who I had convinced to go along with my mini-insurrection, tattled...).
    "Let me make something very clear, Adam-
    I pick out the music, not you."

PS: That woman is now my mother in law.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Your mother-in-law?! That's funny!
  • What a way to punish a music director. Marry her daughter! Cool.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That was hardly the only run-in I had with my then-music-director-and-future-mother-in-law.
    She's a guitarist and drummer- an excellent musician and teacher, but a very poor liturgist.
    And you all know my liturgical proclivities, so you might could imagine.

Anywho- yes, married her daughter.
    We made up, in the end- and she's been helpful and supportive in my church music career.
  • Hmmm. Mother-in-law vs. son-in-law. From experience, that might be a two-way street, but I'm convinced one lane has lots of traffic and the other lots of pot-holes!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It didn't help that I was a snarky little brat who thought I knew more about Catholic church music and liturgy than she did.

I was right... but it hardly mattered. Tact is a skill I've only barely begun to learn.

PS. We dated secretly for quite some time. And she was not happy about the engagement.
    Also, my brother (also a church musician... more traditional than m-i-l, less so than me... but he does play the organ very well) provided the music.
    It was a wonderful wedding, too- three priests, a deacon, and not a single bridesmaid or groomsman.
    Planning the ceremony consisted of:
    1. Opening the Rite of Marriage
    2. Doing only what it said.

People who are used to "giving away the bride" and the "bride's mother procession" and "unity candles" and all that crap thought we were having some kind of liberal hippie Mass. Nope. By the book.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    PPS
    About a year after the wedding, I did a job interview at a Catholic parish. The interview requirement was: plan and play for us music for a wedding.
    I just got out all the stuff from my wedding, and brushed off my piano skills (please don't comment on that point- it's what they were looking for).

The committee (ahem) who interviewed me was confused....
    What about Canon in D?
    What about Schubert?

My answer:
    If they want that kind of music they can hire someone who plays it. I thought the important part of this job was Sunday masses.

I did not get that job. (cf previous comments on other threads about piano-playing lounge singers who got jobs I was more qualified for).
    In retrospect, I'm glad I did not have to deal with those people professionally.
  • About your PS. You dated your current mother in law? No wonder she was not happy about the engagement.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I had a fleeting thought before I posted that I should clean up my pronoun use.
    Nah.... it's clear enough....

My then-future-wife and I kept our relationship secret from my then-future-mother-in-law, who was not happy about our engagement once it became known.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    that made me giggle a lot, but I'm not sure I get it.