Source for Spanish Mass Translation, please...
  • Where?
  • In the United States, we use the Spanish-language translation for the Roman Missal approved for use in Mexico. There was supposed to be one approved for use in the United States, translated by the USCCB, but, it is still in limbo. The last I heard about it was when the subcommittee assigned with carrying out the task met in Laredo back in 2004.
  • Sure. But where is it?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    http://www.litpress.org/Detail.aspx?ISBN=0814628109
  • Thanks, but....free...one would assume it would be copyright but visible.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Is there a parish near you that offers Mass in Spanish that might have one? I live in Miami, and would be happy to ask to sneak a peak at one if you have a specific question.
  • I'm looking for an official online church site with the authorized translation - I'm leery of anything published because of the inaccurate liturgies as published in the pulp missals,
  • Is this what you're looking for: http://www.churchforum.org/ordinario-misa.htm ?
  • BruceL
    Also, the lectionary used is the Mexican lectionary. We had a quince Mass for a young lady last year; in the Midwest, this is not that common! I had a terrible time tracking down the responsorial psalm text for the Mass of the day, and eventually had to email a seminarian friend in San Antonio.
  • Exactly the problem I am trying to get around!
  • Thanks, Paul, that's a definite step forward!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I meant borrowing a real Missal from a sacristy - not something out of a pew... but if you'd rather trust something online, be my guest.
  • No, I am looking for the official Catholic Spanish Mass text on an official Catholic Church website. I'd trust that way before something out of a pew printed by OCP....the last few years the text of the Mass Holy Holy and MORE were incorrect since they did not print the text, but put in music versions that they own and that ALTERED THE MASS TEXT.

There really isn't a parish nearby that would be interested in loaning me a Spanish missal from the sacristy...

Why should the text of the Mass not be available to all on the internet?
  • chonakchonak
    The Socias missal is available in Spanish also.
  • The Socias....the Spanish version include a selection of Latin Gregorian Chants....no other music, but the English version offers no songs at all. Interesting!
  • Back in 2003, the question was put to the then-Secretary of the Bishops' Committee on Liturgy about which Roman Missal to use. I was the one who put the question to him during a meeting of the Federation of Diocesan Liturgical Commissions. He told me that while the USCCB was in the process of working out its own translations, the version to use is the one approved by the CEM (Mexican Episcopal Conference). He told us that the commonly known (and used) blue (daily) and orange (Sunday) were ilicit because they were not approved by anyone for use and that they were tinged with Liberation Theology. Now, for the Psalms, we use the ones from the Lectionary from Spain. Go figure.
  • ServiamScores
    Bumping because I need help. Does anyone have a digital copy of the currently-in-use spanish lectionary?

I've been asked to prepare a bilingual ordination but we do not have the lectionary in spanish... which makes putting in the official spanish translations rather difficult.

The USCCB's website is of little help unless you can find that the specific readings were used for X sunday of OT back in 2022 or something. And even then, I cannot find on the USCCB website what official translation of the readings they are even using. The whole thing is so opaque as to make me want to pull my hair out. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • Marc Cerisier
    It would be the Mexican lectionary you would use, and I can email the readings to you off forum later today. To my knowledge, these don’t exist online.