Marian Antiphons after Mass
  • In EF communities, it is fairly common to sing a Marian antiphon after Mass according to the season. Usually the simple tone is sung. Does anyone occasionally or regularly sing the solemn or monastic tones? (Go here to see these older melodies.)
  • JamJam
    When I went to an EF Mass up in Anchorage, their schola sang a monastic version of the Salve Regina afterward (it was Dominican Rite, so I am assuming some Dominican version. It did not match the Monastic version in the PBC but it was similar).
  • With the previous choir i directed, we learned the monastic Salve because the auxiliary bishop loved it. We all thought it was georgeous. Now I work at an EF parish and we sing the simple tones after the Masses because we want the cong to sing.
    But you have me wanting to work these beauties in occasionally. They deserve to be sung.

Incidentally, my composition teachers claimed that it is the earlier incipit of the Salve, Regina (same in solemn and monastic tones) that inspired many composers in their works. Vague, i know. Maybe someone else has a more specific recollection of this?
  • incantuincantu
    This is the oldest written document of the Salve Regina I have encountered:

Salve Regina (St. Gall)

The melody, and even the text, is different from any of the versions in Solesmes notation. For a recent performance of the six-voice Salve of Obrecht, I chose to use a 19th century edition of the chant because its rhythmic reading seemed to work better in alternation with the metrical composition.

• IanWIanW
    Not getting anything from that link, Incantu.
  • JamJam
    yeah, incantu, the link just won't load! but I really want to see it -- any way you can make a pdf of it or something and post it here?
  • gregpgregp
    I try to have our schola sing the solemn (or, in the case of Salve Regina, monastic) version several times during their appropriate seasons, but not at the end of Mass with the Congregation.

The importance of having the PIP's sing with us is too great.

Which reminds me of something that happened recently along those lines: we've been singing the Marian antiphons for two years now, and two of our servers (teens) recently served at a funeral. At the graveside, the priest invited everyone to sing the Salve Regina, thinking that only a couple of the elderly would do so, and it floored him when our two teen servers sang the whole thing from memory!
  • Maureen
    Re: incantu's link

It worked for me -- I got a message asking me to accept Stiftsbibliothek St Gall's terms of use, marked that I was fine with their terms, and got right through. I was using Firefox.

However, if you need to do it separately, go to www.e-codices.unifr.ch, search for St. Gallen and Cod. Sang. 390, and go to page 10. It's an interlinear gloss sort of notation. Neat!
  • JamJam
    It works for me too now! It was probably a timing issue--perhaps when we last tried it the site was getting too much traffic, or was temporarily down.

The text is the same as the Ensemble Organum version that I love so much--! The tune does look different though... although I admit, I can't read these neumes. Is anyone fluent enough to take a stab at a recording??
  • Our schola has sung the solemn tone Salve Regina in place of the simple tone after Mass several times this season. We have not sung the other solemn tone antiphons, but perhaps will try starting with Advent. I haven't heard any complaints from the people, and our priest in fact first suggested we sing the solemn tone on special occasions. (frankly, the solemn tone melody better fits the words of the Salve Regina.)

One thing I'm curious about, given the above comments: seems at least for the Salve Regina, posters have sung the Monastic rather than the solemn tone. Any particular reason for this?
  • JamJam
    in the case of my first post, I'm pretty sure it was because the Mass was specifically a Dominican Rite Mass, so they used a version peculiar to the Dominicans.