If you were asked what one CD would be a good one to hear chant on for the first time
  • What would it be?

[this is an outreach question from horse people who want to know....]
  • In the Silence of the Word by the Carthusian Monks of Parkminster: the night offices and mass of the feast of the Holy Family. I wept when I heard them sing the first Gloria Patri.

This is captured prayer.

See here .
  • I would stay Stift Heiligenkreuz
  • Well, I'm not at all ashamed to suggest many of the chanted propers and ordinaries from, at least, the last two colloquia. Though there are in some moments various issues of phasing (rhythmic imprecision), vowel purity and the omnipresent problem of sibilant s duration mid/end of phonemes, I think it's still miraculous that six scholas of people who just happened to assemble for six days FOTB can approach the Lord with such love and beauty. I know how much our directors contribute to that "success," but we have to remember we're not cloistered, we are literally all over the map. Astonishing, to me. The pure effort of active listening while singng, dedicated work efforts through the week, and the simple fact that "what is happening" is not some academic, didactic enterprise, but unadulterated worship.
    I still have a profound appreciation for the sheer perfection of "Stift Heiligenkreuz," but just the last two Advanced Women scholas of CMAA give me the shivers, not to mention the virile and powerfilled grounding that still moved with fluidity among the various mens' groups.
    Then, of course, there is Ecclesia Dei keeping vigil near OCP.
  • DougS
    For women's voices, I highly recommend the Finnish group Vox Silentii: http://www.voxsilentii.fi/tuotteet.html

Their specialty is the responsory repertory of the Bridgettine Sisters, the "cantus sororum."

For you British-oriented folks, it is interesting to note that the Bridgettines, a Swedish order, have a convent in Devon and have had a presence on the island for about 600 years.

The group isn't from an actual convent, but the music is stunning.

(Now that I think about it, maybe it's not a good "first" CD, but it's definitely one to check out.)
  • Those darn Benedictines from Silos and Solesmes really get to me. It must be the accents and the deeply felt connection to the words.
  • Erik P
  • Heath
    Oh, Adam . . . that link made me sick to my stomach.

: )

Chanticleer's "Mysteria" is excellent . . . and no, I'm not one to say "too excellent"; it's flawless, of course, but sounds quite prayerful, actually.
  • Also, you know, OCP's 3 CDs of Cantores Ecclesia are as great as I've ever heard - and particularly great for mixed-voiced scholas that need to know how to deal with this parish situation.

In fact, I might change my recommendation. OCP really came through on this project.
  • Maureen
    The major problem with chant CDs is that, even when you're Catholic, that doesn't necessarily mean you know what the heck the liner notes are talking about. Despite music history class and old days missal and everything else, it was only after I'd gone to CMAA stuff that I finally understood what the heck I was listening to, and was used enough to hearing people sing Latin that I could make out the Latin words, even with the help of liner notes.

(I'm notoriously bad at being able to make out recorded choral music, though, so your mileage may vary considerably.)

But of course, getting people listening at all -- that's the first and most important thing.
  • Hey Now?
    No H/T, JT?
    C
  • Heath
    I second the Cantores recommendation of Jeffrey's, at least the "O Lux Beatissima" disc; I just listened to it again yesterday and it's excellent. Flawless singing, and a great selection of chant "standards." I'm going to make my wife start playing it for my kids when they're in the van!

My only quibble may be the tempos; a bit slow for me, but hey, they didn't ask me to conduct! : )
  • eft94530eft94530
    No H/T around here, only >*< tugs.
  • francis
    Go on rhapsody.com and type in Gregorian Chant. You will be surprised at the variations! I think it is important to hear all the well known monasteries and convents interpretations.
  • oh whoops, Charles you probably put that idea in my head, further confirming my supposition that I've never had a unique thought. You might consider copyrighting your posts and collecting royalties.
  • No chance, JT
    I'm a CC kinda guy:
    Charles Culbreth
    Catholic Church
    Creative Commons
    Constantly Combative
    and most importantly
    curiouser and curiouser....
  • Wow, remarkable coincidence there!

I'm thinking that the term Creative Commons is possibly a problem for liturgical texts. We don't exactly want to encourage creativity with texts! So maybe we should just describe CC as Catholic Commons.

It would be really cool if someone would put up a site with Catholic Commons badges and encourage Catholic bloggers to use them.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm thinking that the term Creative Commons is possibly a problem for liturgical texts. We don't exactly want to encourage creativity with texts! So maybe we should just describe CC as Catholic Commons.

It would be really cool if someone would put up a site with Catholic Commons badges and encourage Catholic bloggers to use them.

That sounds like a fantastic project.
  • chonakchonak
    Be aware, folks, that "Creative Commons" isn't just a brand name or a vague idea. It's a set of legal documents: licenses by which an author/composer grants everyone in the world the right to copy his work under specified conditions.

There are several specific versions of the license, and you choose which one to apply to your works, depending on your policy. In one of the policy options, you can forbid changes in the text of your work. In copyright parlance, that's called making a "derivative work". If you apply the no-derivative-works version of CC to your work, and then someone copies your work and changes it, he has violated the terms of the CC license, so he has no protection when you assert a regular copyright claim against him.

So the Church could protect liturgical texts from being modified and republished.
  • KShaft
    Jeffery, I took a listen at the Cantores in Ecclesia and decided to purchase it 3 min later. Thanks for the recommendation, the different Choir sections add a lot to it. Im relatively new with this. Although in the past I have many CDs of full orchestrated works such as Bach, Handel, Beethoven(others too but mostly these for music that all though not technically Sacred Music were meant to glorify the Lord) Polyphony and Chant are things Im just getting into. I only have 2 Chant CD's (Stift and Milos Ave Maria) and two Tallis Scholars CDs. I also really like Rutter's Requiem and Magnificant, and am wondering under what sort of genre that falls under, and who else writes things such as that.

Thank you,
    Keith
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Rutter = modern English choral music (Anglican)

a bit sappy at times, but... beautiful!
    (He's a bit irreligious, though- so be careful of some of his texts.)

For the more serious version of that style, check out CDs conducted or composed by Sir David Wilcocks and work your way out from there.
  • KShaft
    Thank you Adam. The texts seem to at least lean Catholic (good amount of Latin), especially the Magnificant since its about our Mother Mary.

Ill check out Sir Wilcocks.

Thanks again.
  • JamJam
    ENSEMBLE ORGANUM. Any of their albums, but a personal favorite is this one (Byzantine-style chant in Latin from the Knights Templar--before they got their bad rap). I also love their Corsican Chant, but I don't know where you can buy it anymore, it's totally sold out and going used for like $50...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    but a personal favorite is this one (Byzantine-style chant in Latin from the Knights Templar--before they got their bad rap).

Listening to it on YouTube...

Holy Kamoley!
  • removed
  • AndrewK
    The best CDs out are the ones published by the Abbey of Fontgambault. However, I think you have to donate money to them in order to get a copy, but it is certainly worth the small price; comparable to the price of a regular CD. They have several recordings, but the best ones are Easter, Christmas, and Assumption.