Concert August 6 in Peoria, IL
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Hi everyone,

I've been planning a concert of chants and related pieces at Saint Mary's Cathedral in Peoria for 7:15 PM on Friday, August 6, free of charge. We just had a very nice article published in the Peoria Journal Star which I thought I'd share with you.

http://www.pjstar.com/entertainment/x1312945818/Backstage-Chanting-along-with-the-unusual
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    so so glad these concerts still exist
  • G
    Angela, what is a "pontifical cantor"?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Ah, one of my personal favorite titles, G. "Pontifical cantor" = cantor at a cathedral.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I'm just bumping this up, since the concert is this week. I hope some of you in Illinois can come join us -- it promises to be a unique program:

Suite Mediévale....by Jean Langlais (1907-1991)
    Ave Maria….Jehan Alain
    Ave Maria....Offertory chant from the 4th Sunday in Advent
    Gaude Maria Virgo V. Gabrielem Archangelum.......From the Magnus Liber Organi (12th-13th century)
    Ave generosa….Hildegard of Bingen
    Sarah Was Ninety Years Old….Arvo Pärt
    Ave Maris Stella....Hymn in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary
    Ave Maris Stella....Organ setting from the Faenza Codex, ca. 13th c.
    Ave Maris Stella....From Cinq Improvisations by Charles Tournemire (1870-1939), reconstructed by Maurice Duruflé.
  • Very very neat-o indeed! San Diego is too far and I've exhausted my vacation hours, or I'd seriously consider making the trek.

Best wishes, and I would like to hear how it goes.
  • miacoyne
    I wish I could be there. If possible, could you post some recordings? (It was very nice meeting you at the Colloquium. I hope you had a wonderful time at CUA. Mia)
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Mia, I would love to post some recordings, but I still don't know how to do it. If someone helps me figure it out, I'd love to get some up.

Please pray for the success of the program, not only that we sing well, but that we pray the music and reach the hearts of our listeners. It was publicized in the local newspaper, so we may well get a number of non-Christians attending.
  • miacoyne
    I'm not expert on tech. But I believe you can download your recording (if you use digital) on your computer, save it and click on 'attachment' at the bottom here?

Also I'm sure you must planned this , but some short note with text and translation for each music in the program would be a big help for the audience. (I also asked the audience to applaud at the end of the program, but it's of course up to you.) I'll pray for the sucsess both musically and spritually. I'm sure it will be great! Beauty draws people close to God.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Angela, I sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you didn't get it.
    Carl
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Mia, we have a 7-page program full of notes and translations!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Carl Dierschow most graciously has put up a website for the Cathedral Chant School. A couple of the recordings are from the concert on August 6. All are done with a small MP3 recorder, so these are not professional quality recordings.

http://music.dierschow.com/Manney

A note on the concert: it went quite well. We ran out of programs, and donations were more than double what we expected at the max. Today I received an email from the local university asking me to present a workshop at their continuing education center for the elderly, which makes me smile. The organizer was present at the concert and was impressed. The concert served my desired purpose, to bring chant to the public eye.

Thanks for all your prayers and support. :)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Congratulations - the music is very good!