The Extraordinary Form Comes to the Mojave Desert
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    For anyone who may have occasion to be in the western Mojave Desert:

Beginning on 22 August, Saint Ann Parish in Ridgecrest, CA, will have a Mass in the Extraordinary Form the fourth Sunday of each month at 4 PM. Mass will be celebrated by Fr Kris Sorenson, parish administrator at Our Lady of Lourdes in California City.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time Mass has been celebrated in the EF in this part of the Diocese of Fresno since the introduction of the OF. There are two other parishes in our diocese, one in Bakersfield and the other in Fresno, that schedule EF Masses more or less regularly.

Brick by brick, as Father Z likes to say....
  • gregpgregp
    Great news, Chris! Will this be a low or high Mass?
  • Yaaaaaayyyyyyyy!
    Whaddya say, Greg, we cross the Tehachapies one weekend?
  • gregpgregp
    Sounds good to me!
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Greg: Low Mass for the time being, I'm sure, although now I've got an incentive to start recruiting for a schola.... :-)
  • UPDATE:

Unfortunately, our parish administrator has had to cancel the EF Masses for the time being due to logistical problems at the church he was planning to use, as well as concerns with our bishop's state of health. I'll let everyone know once we're back in business. :-(
  • Chrism
    That happens. Satan exists. Persevere in prayer and form a garage schola.
  • I agree, get chanting so y'all can be ready when the time comes.
    And I pray things get worked out soon!
    I'll get our EF choir members and choristers from the south (San Diego) on the job, praying for you, too!
  • UPDATE #2: Looks like we may be on again--in a limted way, anyway: Our parish administrator's decided to say a private EF Low Mass once each liturgical season so he can keep in practice; the first one's 3 December at 6 PM at Our Lady of Lourdes in California City. Not the ideal situation, of course, but we need to start somewhere....
  • mjballoumjballou
    Begin where you are - and then you've started.