Colloquium 2010 - What Did You Learn?
  • mjballoumjballou
    I'd be interested in hearing what this year's Colloquium participants "took away" from our wonderful week together.

Something that changes your approach to directing, to singing, to envisioning the future of sacred music? It may be very practical - a new warm-up or approach to interpreting a neume. It may be something very lofty.

Do tell.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I learned more about the structure and method of sung Vespers.
  • miacoyne
    I had the most wonderful time in Wilko's chant class. He interpreted chant so beautifully and convey them to us in a most wonderful way often with a gentle sense of humor.
    I think there were about 30 women in the class, and many beautiful young voices. We also learned 'semiology' signs. And it was a great adventure for many of us. We made some mistakes, but when it 'clicked,' it was the most beautiful chant singing I ever experienced. Although the sings can be confusing, and he also warned not to give them to schola members, (just not yet), and work on singing together and the beautiful vowels, once you get used to them I think they elaborate many details of chant singing without being radom. (But I still think classic Solesmes gave me basic fundamentals of chant singing amd made accessible to chant singing for beginners. This is just my own opinion and experience, and of course one can still continue to sing beautifully with basis on classic Solesmes method as he advances and matures in his singing chants. And there are others who also choose to adopt and combine different methods wisely and make their own interperetation of chant. Singing chant is a great adventure. There's so much to learn and deepen its beauty in our singing.)

One of my schola member who attended Colloquium classes told me he will not be late for warm-ups any more (yes!)
    I thank for the instructor, Jeff O. for his enthusiasm in his teaching. My schola memberes were very impresssed.

Another most amazing class was Fr. Kirby's. His love for the Church, Liturgy and chant were expressed in every word he spoke. (my friend and I were looking at each other with mouths widely open when he interpreted the antiphone. I was truly shocked and amazed! How does he get all this? He is truly in love with the Word and expresses his love in his chanting.) I hope those who recorded his talks can post them in the forum, so others can hear them too. I am planning to make CDs of his talks and gave them to every priest I know. I cannot imagine how they cannot be moved by his talks. His celebration of Sunday Mass was so solemn and so beautiful. When he says his prayers during Mass, I could see how close this priest was to God and truly felt his great love for Him. It was such a blessing for us to have him at the Colloquium. And I thank all the people who organize the Colloquium, instructors and participants. They all are truly amazing people.

Sing like a Catholic -> Believe like a Catholic-> Live like a Catholic
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Mia, I have to agree with you about Fr Kirby. I don't recall taking so many notes in a lecture in years! I was disappointed that he wasn't able to flesh out the other three characteristics of chant, though. This is definitely a session that should be expanded to five full days, in my opinion.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Yes, the co-existence of many styles and approaches to chant was a very happy thing to behold. To me it demonstrated that much of the argument for the last hundred or so years, regarding rhythm, is wildly disproportionate. There are many approaches to Chopin, Bach, and Monteverdi; the same has always been true of chant (as Guido himself noted). No surprise here.
  • It was my first colloquium, and I learned quite a bit. I started the week not sure which schola to join. I suspected that the Intermediate Men would be the best fit, but a new friend on Monday night convinced me to try the Beginning Schola just for a day. I've just started a schola in the parish in which I work, and I was told that Scott Turkington is a master at bringing chant to new singers. I wanted to get an idea of his method.

I wasn't disappointed. I learned so much about how to introduce this beautiful music to new singers. I switched to the Intermediate Schola on the second day, and it all worked out fine. I also gained quite a bit of knowledge in the Chironomy sessions.

I look forward to next year. The Colloquium was a great experience for me educationally, musically, and spiritually. It really charged my batteries and reaffirmed me in my work. Being a parish music director can be lonely, as there are few colleagues you interact with on a daily basis. It was good to spend some quality time with like minded individuals. It made me reaffirmed in fighting the good fight.
  • Deborah
    I really enjoyed the Chironomy sessions and am looking forward to exploring the relationships between the ictus and the text accents and practicing in front of a mirror. Sunday's Mass was incredible: a real experience of what worship can be.
  • don roy
    what did I get from the colloquiem?
    1. validation and support
    2. free conducting lessons with 2 of the worlds best choral conductors
    3. incredable comraderie with people i have huge respect and admiration for
    4. the validation that im not alone but am part of something greator
    5. a week of music making of the highest calabre with singers as good as or (in most cases) better then me.
    6. hobnobbing with people who truly understand their role in sacred music and who love it and are as committed to it as much as i do and am.
    7. formation of some life long friendships
    8. the chance to truly understand what it means for a Mass to be "this side of heaven"
    and so much more.
  • don roy
    oh, and a week where i saw the face of God in virtually everyone i came in contact with.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Andrew: WHAT about our discussion of Star Wars ???
  • Isolated Punctums! Something I had reserved for those moments when the tonic accent falls on the final pulse of a terenary group is now a a fresh concept that preserves the integrity of the incise's final repose and contracts fresh energy for the next. Feels like I have stolen fire from the god's. Rushed home and talked about quarter bars all night- I think my kids are getting POA!
  • Andrew: WHAT about our discussion of Star Wars ???

How could I forget? I haven't had many opportunities to speak with media professionals about the comparative value of The Phantom Menace vs. The Empire Strikes Back. These conversations alone make the colloquium registration fee worth every penny.
  • Flambeaux
    I missed a discussion about Phantom Menace vs. Empire? Clearly the cool stuff happened when I wasn't paying attention. ;)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Ralph • So.....do you agree with Mocquereau that it is "most desirable" to start phrases with an isolated punctum? I think I do....it helps avoid heavy starting notes.

Andrew • YES YES YES !!!

Flambeaux • next year, perhaps?

Miacoyne • hopefully your people aren't too traumatized by the experience.....
  • I learned that the CMAA is being used mightily by Providence. And I became an expert at concealing my watery eyes in a crowd.
  • Does anyone have a transcription of Fr. Pasley's homily from the Requiem Mass? If so, forward to

cculbreth (at) tccov (dot) org
  • Flambeaux
    Jeff,

We'll see. I can make no promises as I'm planning to use my vacation time for the Winter Chant Intensive if it ends up being in the rumored location. If I do go to that, I may have to skip Colloquium XXI. But all that is in the hands of Providence.

:D