Communion antiphon placement
  • I have a question about the Communion antiphon. I always believed it was during the distribution of Communion, as explained here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communion_(chant)

But after choosing music for this Sunday, I received a strange response from one of my priests:

"You may incorporate "Inclina Aurem" as a song of thanksgiving after the Communion hymn. In the interest of time, you may want to choose a relatively short Communion hymn. The song of thanksgiving should be thought of as a kind of post-communion meditation, so don't worry about trying to draw in the congregation.

Has anyone placed the Communion antiphon as a post-communion meditation?? I didn't think it was intended as such, and that choosing a Communion hymn replaces the antiphon.

How do you feel about placing it as a post-communion mediation?

=/
  • I think in the EF the rubrics do not envision the current practice of the faithful receiving communion every Sunday, so the ceremonial says to sing it after Communion is taken (by the priest).
  • In GIRM, it says:

Chapter II The Structure of the Mass, Its Elements and Its Parts
    Section III. THE INDIVIDUAL PARTS OF THE MASS

86. While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is
    to express the communicants’ union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy
    of heart, and to highlight more clearly the “communitarian” nature of the procession to receive
    Communion. The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the
    faithful. If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be
    ended in a timely manner.

Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.

87. In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Communion
    chant: (1) the antiphon from the Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to
    music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple
    Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the United
    States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in
    responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song chosen in accordance with no. 86
    above. This is sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or cantor with the people.
    If there is no singing, however, the Communion antiphon found in the Missal may be recited
    either by the faithful, or by some of them, or by a lector. Otherwise the priest himself says it
    after he has received Communion and before he distributes Communion to the faithful.

Chapter IV The Different Forms of Celebrating Mass
    Section III. MASS AT WHICH ONLY ONE MINISTER PARTICIPATES

269. Before Communion is given to the minister, the Communion Antiphon is said by the
    minister or by the priest himself.

So ... thoughts on the Communion antiphon done as a post-communion meditation?
    Thanked by 1StephenMatthew
  • CharlesW
    I have never done the antiphon post-communion. The pastor's instructions are to wait until he drinks from the chalice, then sing the antiphon. I play while the choir receives communion, then we sing a hymn. I see no reason why we couldn't pick up the antiphon again, and this time sing the verses, if time permits. In this instance, I think it would be acceptable. To do this just hasn't crossed my mind until now.
  • rich_enough
    I've always wondered why people (priests and / or musicians) wait until after the priest has received communion before starting any music. The GIRM quoted above clearly states "While the priest is receiving the Sacrament" - not after he has finished - "the Communion chant is begun." Waiting here also introduces an awkward pause at this point in the mass.

Sam Schmitt
    Thanked by 2Jahaza bonniebede
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    At the parish I recently became music director at, we have the longest, awkwardest silence ever while we wait for all the E(xtraordinary)M(inister)s get their act together, and then finally give communion to the organist, who is first in line. (Obviously, no music can start until the organist gets back from the line).

This painful several minutes, though, is giving me a fantastic opportunity:

"I have an idea- why don't we do an unaccompanied chant at this point, and then start the congregational hymn once the organist is back."

"I'm sorry- we have to do it unacompanied... the organist needs a chance to get to communion."

"No, no, I don't think 'On Eagles Wings' will sound very good accapella."
  • CharlesW
    I begin the antiphon while he is drinking from the chalice. However, I would think some of you nit-pickers should be rejoicing that we are singing communion antiphons - AT ALL! They are a relatively recent restoration in my parish - I began them a bit less than a year ago, as best I remember. So far, they have been very well-received by the congregation.
  • I'm nit-picking because my parish wants to continue "Gather style hymns" during Communion, and I always thought that doing a Communion hymn meant replacing the Communion antiphon.

What I'm being requested to do seems rather backwards - it makes more logical sense to do the Communion antiphon during the distribution, and then do a post-communion meditation hymn (which isn't required anyway).

It feels as though they are interested in adding the antiphon after Communion, as if it's some "add-on" that can be "added-off" later on.
  • CharlesW
    It sounds like your parish is a bit different. You could take the approach that any communion antiphon is better than none at all. Once the use of antiphons becomes habit, it could be easier to move it in the future. Also, how long could you have this pastor? Maybe the next one will give you more support as you work to improve music in the liturgy.
  • rich_enough
    Yes, CharlesW, the fact you are doing the CA is very encouraging. I was just wondering why the awkward pause - it happened where I used to direct but I didn't worry about it enough to fix it.

Sam Schmitt
  • Yes, my parish is different ... We've actually had him for a few years, and he does encourage better music, like chant, etc., but neither of us are in an ideal situation.

I am only concerned that moving the Communion antiphon would be some sort of slight liturgical abuse, like if you move anything else around in the Mass where it's not suppose to be.
  • Maureen
    Don't give yourself scruples (in the spiritual/mental disease sense) over this.

What you are being asked to do by your priest may not be perfect; but it is legal by canon law, it is not an abuse, it has been directed by your pastor, and it is a step forward toward perfection. Therefore, you may bask in the rectitude of your actions, and you may also accept the envy of those of us who aren't anywhere near that stage yet. :)
  • Anhaga
    According to "Ceremonial for Sacred Music EF 1962 Missale Romnum" (by Rev. Scott A. Haynes, S.J.C. The Canon Regular of Saint John Cantius), "Communion: Once the Celebrant begins to distribute Holy Communion the choir chants the Communion proper to the day." (p.29)
  • exactly

=)

I was able to put it back where it "proper-ly" belongs. It makes more sense to do the antiphon during the distribution while the congregation is not singing, and then do a post-communion hymn so that the congregation could sing. I felt like his initial suggestion was backwards, and would encourage no singing at all. So, I explained my reasoning to him, and he agreed.
  • Don't forget about GIRM 88, which says that after communion has been distributed, a song may be sung "by the entire congregation." There is no room for a choir-only or solo-only piece after communion.
  • exactly. It's also impossible for the congregation to sing as they're receiving Communion ... so why do a hymn during the distribution?

It's amazing how logical these rubrics are ... I wish more parishes followed them more closely.
  • At the Pittsburgh Oratory of St. Philip Neri we do the/a communion proper during distribution and a congregational post-communion hymn once everything is cleaned up. It works pretty well, but I maintain that it's silly to expect a congregation to sing well while they're sitting down.
  • It was MCW that confused people by stating with seeming authority that people should go in procession joyously in song.
  • Joyously can mean many things to different people.

I guess for some, it means tambourines.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Jeffrey Coggins,
    now that rubrics have been hilighted for both EF (Anhaga) and OF (Ioannes),
    just curious,
    for which Form was your question intended? :-)
  • I see that this is an older thread and hope that my comment returns this thread to to top of the Discussion menu... I'm new on the forum and my question is in specific regards to the placement of the Communion Chant (From "Simple English Propers").
    I have the luxury of being a cantor with two different organists; both have their own strengths, but approach the timing and length of the Communion Chant differently as follows:

1. The congregation sings a Communion Hymn from our common hymnal and THEN I sing the Communion Chant with as many verses that time permits, and then complete it with the Glory Be.

2. I, or the Organist, sings the Communion Anitphon ONLY; no verses, no Glory Be. The congregation then sings a hymn together.

I know that you have discussed this already but you've used acronyms I'm just not familiar with. I've only been a Cantor for just over a year so please give me the Cliff Notes Version. :-)
  • chonakchonak
    Both of these are lawful approaches. (After all, it's lawful to sing only a hymn and omit the antiphon altogether.)

Between the two of them, I think the first is better, since the communion antiphon is being presented more fully, and people are getting more exposure to the liturgical text; the antiphon is fulfilling its role to accompany the action (the distribution of Holy Communion).

I think the ideal would be to sing the communion antiphon first, with some verses and a Glory be; and follow it with a hymn (a "hymn of praise" as mentioned in the Missal's instructions).

Congratulations on having two local organists who want to use the communion antiphon!
  • Thank you chonak! I'm glad to hear that both are liturgically correct.
  • benedictgal
    When I have substituted as a cantor, I have chanted the communion antiphon as the priest communicates. As someone posted earlier, that is what the GIRM states. I think that the priest needs to carefully re-read the GIRM. The antiphon is the default, while hymns are the option.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen eft94530 Wendi
  • CCoozeCCooze
    In the OF we usually wait for the priest to finish the "Behold the Lamb of God" and for us to say our response, after which we sing the English communion antiphon, normally followed by the Gregorian communion antiphon (with or without the Gloria Patri).
    After this (or after the Communion motet, too, if we have one), we sing the congregational Communion Hymn.

In the EF I always wait until the priest finishes the "Ecce Agnus Dei" and we have all completed the 3-fold "Domine, non sum dignus" before beginning the Communio, usually with a verse + GP, antiphon.
    If I am canting by myself then I usually receive Communion after I have finished this, but if I am leading a schola, we always make our way forward immediately after the Agnus Dei so that we are kneeling by the "Ecce Agnus Dei" and ready to receive immediately after the servers. After receiving, we head back and chant the antiphon as described above.

• CharlesW
    We sing the communion antiphon when the priest lifts the chalice to his lips. Then we sing a hymn except during choir masses. I play while the choir receives communion, then we do the hymn. This is OF, only. I think we may be the only church in town that even sings those communion chants.
  • For us, the communion chant begins just as the priest receives. Then, as an older comment says, there is a very long awkward period while the EMs are sorted out. The organist typically vamps on the tune of the communion chant during this time. The choir receives, then returns to the choir loft and sings something, a motet or something. After everybody who wishes has received, the congregation sings a hymn.

I looked at this thread in part because I had a long meeting yesterday with our DM, and one of the things we discussed is how to handle this part of the mass better. We're working on it.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I suppose a lot of this depends on what you do in the OF for the Agnus Dei/Lamb of God.

We chant ours, and almost immediately upon our completing the chant and kneeling, the priest turns for the "Behold the Lamb of God."

Therefore, there isn't much of a choice as to how early the Communion antiphon/chant begins. But we do always do the antiphon before a congregational Communion hymn.
  • IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, and if the rules haven't changed, the Agnus Dei accompanies the fraction, and so the Communion Antiphon will, necessarily, follow that. It should (ordinarily) precede any other music sung or played.

In the EF, especially in parishes which still use the "third Confiteor", the choir coming down from the choir loft receives, and then sings the antiphon, upon its return to its proper place. Of course, that leaves a question in my mind: could the antiphon be sung during the procession to the altar rail.... or something similar? (And before someone here dismisses me as a crank, chanting and walking are not mutually exclusive activities, or we wouldn't have music assigned to be sung during Maundy' Thursday's procession to the altar of repose.)
  • CharlesW
    GIRM 86-87.

86. While the Priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion Chant is begun, its purpose being to express the spiritual union of the communicants by means of the unity of their voices, to show gladness of heart, and to bring out more clearly the “communitarian” character of the procession to receive the Eucharist. The singing is prolonged for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful.[cf. Inestimabile Donum 17] However, if there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion Chant should be ended in a timely manner.

Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.

Based on this, I don't think we have the option of moving it around.
  • its purpose being to express the spiritual union of the communicants by means of the unity of their voices, to show gladness of heart, and to bring out more clearly the “communitarian” character of the procession to receive the Eucharist.

Not to drag the thread off its topic, but is this (block quote) the reason why everyone must receive Holy Communion, why ushers must shepherd us by rows, why people seem to think the Mass is about them?
  • CharlesW
    Not to drag the thread off its topic, but is this (block quote) the reason why everyone must receive Holy Communion, why ushers must shepherd us by rows, why people seem to think the Mass is about them?

I don't know the answer to this one. I receive when I want, but I am Byzantine and we don't have the communionitis many seem to have. It isn't necessary to receive every time you go to church, although some seem to think they need to.
  • MatthewRoth
    It’s also why Communion at the altar rail is generally frowned upon. And for what it is worth, the antiphon used to be sung at the ablutions, which is the custom still in quite a few places which use the traditional Mass even though general Communion is normal.