Booklets for Palm Sunday & Holy Thursday EF
  • Hugh
    For anyone out there in need of such:

I've put together pdf congregation booklets for EF Palm Sunday and Holy Thursday (so far) for my choir and the congregation at St Aloysius, Melbourne, Aus.

Also, a slighty augmented version of the Palm Sunday booklet for choirs (contains verses from the Offertoriale).

As pew booklets, they can be done in A5. As choir books, we expand them to A4.

Available at URL below:

http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/

Any corrections/suggestions welcome. The booklets are customisable (ie I can put in a different Ordinary of Creed if you need it. If I have time.)

I'll be working on Good Friday and Vigil books in my spare time (ha ha ha) over the next week. Will post if they're completed.

Thanks to "Palestrina" who suggested this project to me.
  • AWESOME!!!
  • Hugh, I have to congratulate you on your beautiful recordings of PATER PECCAVI in 2007 ---- WOW great job!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Hugh, you must own a copy of the same Missale Romanum that I do (published in Ratisbon, 1928). Although we're a rather typical American "post-conciliar" OF parish, I put together a service booklet for Palm Sunday that features the exact same woodcut on the cover, except I didn't crop it, so as to include the smaller illustrations on the sides as well.
  • emafi
    Pretty awesome work. Thanks. You must have an extensive printing budget; do the people really sing these chants? For that matter, do you sing all of them? At some point in the procession it says some or all of the following may be sung.
  • Hugh
    emafi,

No, the people don't sing all - just things like the ordinary, responses & processionals etc. & I've put in everything set down in the Liber - which, it seems, assumes a cast of thousands at some services. Whereas, on Palm Sunday, for example, our congregation (about 100+) just sings the Gloria Laus through about 1.5 times as we process around the exterior of the Church and then the Ingrediente as we re-enter the West door.

The cong. likes to have the music. It predisposes them to the chant, I believe, and occasionally inspires in some a desire to explore it further.

Thanks for the comments, folks - I do hope the books might be of use. All the best for the next couple of weeks.
  • Jan
    Wonderful work Hugh Thanks for sharing!
  • mjballoumjballou
    These are quite lovely and useful. Unfortunately, they are causing me to have fits of envy due to the lack of EF in our diocese. However, only God knows the future and maybe next year... So my schola better start working on them now.

I agree that exposure to chant notation is good for congregations. It demystifies chant as well as (it is to be hoped) attracting potential singers.