Director of Music/Choir Director Position Sought...
  • Able to work within the guidelines set by the pastor, with loyalty to the pastor at all times. Would prefer a congregation that is being led to reform of the liturgy and music, no matter what stage they are in of the process. Proven capable of creating choirs and preparing cantors, both vocally and musically, tying everything that they learn and do into the liturgy so that they fully understand their role in the Sacrifice of the Mass.

While a qualified organist, do prefer working with an organist with the choir and cantors when possible.

Catholic since shortly after birth...much experience in Protestant worship of all styles and prefers the great music of the Church. Work experience in the Catholic church in the US, Germany and Italy. Trained by Benedictine monks and professional Catholic musicians in New York City. NO and TLM friendly.

Having the experience of working under conductors in many different disciplines, have myself adopted a non-confrontational, supportive style of working with musicians and clergy that is often commented on. Fully understands that being a director of a program does not require leading as much as supporting.

Able to create worship aids and hymnals and produce CD recordings, as required, at minimal cost to the parish. Work hard at promoting the music program, not only to recruit singers, but to attract members to the parish. See www.sjnmusic.com for an example.

Willing to relocate. Married many years, wife is an accomplished Episcopalian church organist and director, recently named to the board of directors to the Sewanee Church Music Conference, and she is easily able to locate church employment on her own upon relocation.

Contact noeljones@usit.net for further information.
  • Donnaswan
    Nice. Corect Typ though- Sewanee

Donna
  • don roy
    guys whats up with your common geographic area!?
    do they have any idea what their loosing?
    have they lost their minds!?

Godspeed to both of you!
  • Donnaswan
    It's pretty disheartening
  • don roy
    donna
    no wonder and how absurd. i had respect for you before but i really do now.
    keep the faith!
    next time im visiting my parents in oakridge, lets get together, id love to meet all of you.
  • CharlesW
    Sounds like a party to me! Looking forward to it.
  • Donnaswan
    I need party right about now. Instead I have my brother arriving with his THREE grandchildren (ALL boys) to attend the Tremont Institute this week, on top of everything else going on in my world. Next Sunday is my last at SH. A reception following Mass. Will not say how I feel about that.
  • don roy
    then its a deal actually i should be around the second week of jul;y..
  • Donnaswan
    Don Roy- if I'm not in Indy visiting my daughter you're on.
  • I would say that this diocese is no different from any other.

There is an active independent schola led by a very capable CMAA person....

There is a TLM High Mass with choir each week in Knoxville, and a TLM Low Mass in the southern deanery.

Most parishes are singing from OCP, some from GIA and a couple from WLP.

None of them use the Parish Book of Chant as their main book, and few, if any, use it at all.

Changes that happen tend to be over personalities rather than musicianship. In fact, they happen in spite of musicianship.

For a much clearer picture read, When Sheep Attack. Every parish has them. You could be next.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I take it that is a somewhat accurate picture of what happened in your situation?
  • CharlesW
    Anytime the pastor or bishop changes, we are all vulnerable. That simply is the nature of the work we do. However, I have learned a few things from my years in church music.

Everyone deserves a smile and a greeting
    No individual in the congregation is too unimportant to talk to
    I can always make time to listen
    A positive experience with me may be the only one that individual encounters all day
    Common courtesy goes a long way with parishioners
    I have an obligation to be on time, prepared, and ready to work
  • dad29
    Are you in Nashville? I have a cousin who lives there...
  • CharlesW
    Donna and I are in Knoxville. I don't know about others.
  • Not somewhat, it is an exact picture. I'm a chapter in Jeffrey Tucker's book "Sing Like a Catholic" and now "When Sheep Attack" explains why. Buy the book. Buy both of them!
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I've read the latter book - and yet, even after reading it, it doesn't make sense. When someone grows a "dynamic" music ministry, which grows a choir into many members from nothing and is even cited by a national author/blogger, it just seems that somewhere in the complaining/agitating process, some voice of reason would say "Um, are you nuts? The music program here is renown."

So, it begs the question, at what point does a program become "untouchable"? You know, the point that a person actually risks looking IGNORANT for criticizing it because it is so respected.

Now, are you sure it wasn't a growing minority agitating for "more upbeat music" like they have "everywhere else" that will get the "youth" back into church? If that's it, it makes more sense.
  • No program is ever untouchable since the focus of the antagonists is not the end of program, but the removal of the person that created it.

In this case their goal was a return to the OCP music and psalms that they liked and had sung for 20 years, getting rid of all the new people, including youth. They promised that the new person would be better than the one they had removed and the choir would flourish.

It would, and has, become the music program they had before. And that's exactly what they wanted and they are in control once again, as they were back then.