Looking for the magic words.
  • Here's an ad that just appeared:

A vibrant community of 3,400 families in a suburb of Denver is seeking an experienced, full-time Director of Music to oversee a comprehensive music program, including Life Teen. Knowledge of Catholic liturgy, proficiency in piano, congregational and conducting as well as strong communication, organizational and computer skills are required. Minimum of five years as Director of Music or Music Minister is preferred along with a relevant undergraduate degree (advanced degrees welcome)

Key words here are:
    LifeTeen
    Proficiency in Piano
    [the interesting phrase:] proficiency in piano, congregational and conducting

I don't recall classes being offered in congregational...

Missing words are:
    Proficiency in Organ
    Knowledge of church music in all its forms
    Knowledge of church documents concerning liturgical music

But there are many more. I'd say most ads are written from other ads by people who may not be aware of what they are writing.

So, what words SHOULD be included in an ad to make it clear that a CMAA person might fit the job?
  • a vibrant choir

to plan vibrant, spirit-filled liturgies.

a skilled and organized pastoral musician

will invite, train and facilitate/supervise the roles of the various liturgical ministries: lector, Extraordinary and hospitality ministers, environment, sacristans, servers and provide for scheduling of these ministers;

[hospitality and environment ministers? - was this something that was instituted the day my computer was down? Are there Extraordinary Ministers of the Environment?"]

What would you find in an ad that would tell you that your talents would be welcome? Seriously. What are the keywords that you look for?
  • Ability to choose music that conveys the solemnity of the liturgy.
  • GavinGavin
    I look for the salary.

That was mostly serious, but I suppose I'd look for the words "church teaching/legislation".

Frankly, I'll apply for a Catholic job again when I see the words "Gregorian chant", "schola", "Extraordinary Form", or "High Mass" in the listing.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    frogman, it is not necessary to 'repost' every time you want to add something. please just hit 'edit.' thanks
  • Meant to post them this way.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'll admit, there's a certain salary for which I'd do the whole LifeTeen/Praise&Worship/LiturgicalDance/PowerPoint type of gig.. but I'd probably regret it at some point.

The most important thing, once you've been contacted for a job, though is that you get along with the pastor. If you can't get along with the pastor during the interviewing and auditioning phase, it's going to get messy once you work there.
  • "Congenial, supportive pastor"

I like that.
  • DougS
    I think Matthew is definitely onto something. There is more to it than the ad, and rapport with the pastor will be critical. With ads, you have to remember certain things:

1) Most churches are in survival mode when they write an ad and have to cast as wide a net as possible;
    2) Most people do not write ads for a music director very often and therefore don't communicate what they want very well;
    3) The ad was probably a collaborative effort, possibly with competing interests involved;
    4) Not every church has an organ.

Personally, I think applying to positions in an area you like and with a decent salary is a good idea. You never know unless you try. The key is moving on to the next stage. Once you get a phone interview, you have to ask questions and feel them out. Two of the best questions you can ask, even if you know the answer to #1:

1) What's the state of the music program now?
    2) Where do you see the music program going over the next 5 years?

It's even better if you can ask these questions to more than one person. At that point you can decide if the on-site interview will be worth it or not. Even if you are skeptical of certain responses to your questions, you can see what equipment, resources, working space, etc. are available if you go to the next stage. Then you can continue to ask questions that allow the priest and the search committee to share their goals/dreams. I know that sounds lovey-dovey, but if it's not going to be a good fit, you don't need to wait on their decision.

As for where the CMAA's goals fit in, every parish is a new challenge and a new opportunity. If you aren't someone whose credentials and connections could get you any job you wish, I don't see a reason to be overly picky. Certain places will be utter disaster areas, but that should be readily apparent before you sign the dotted line (as long as you ask questions).

My wife just went through a search (successful, praise God), and we were shocked by one huge, wealthy parish that enthusiastically and proudly told her they have practically no music budget and want to go even more "low church" than where they are now (currently a typical NPM parish). Really?! We were blown away.
  • There are areas of the US...and obviously some parishes...which pride themselves on their lack of sophistication and out-right backwardness.
  • Doug, we have one of the richest per capita parishes in the country (St Edwards on Palm Beach Island) that does its best to starve the music program to death. Choir members are asked to purchase their own copies of the hymnal and the choir is only seasonal. Just down the street there is a a beautiful Episcopal Church that hired the best organist in town and has a fully paid choir, just for starters.
  • DougS
    This phrase in the ad should have tipped us off: "Post-Vatican II Parish." Is there any other kind? But we certainly know what they mean...
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm not sure I'd trust an ad that called the Pastor a "Congenial, supportive pastor." That should be evident by telephone interviews and in person conversation.

As for "Post-Vatican II Parish" - it's just a poor way of describing that they do contemporary Masses. Meh, if it's not your thing, don't do it. However, more people with Sacred Music sensibility need to start taking contemporary jobs and slowly moving them towards sacred music. When I took my job 3 years ago, the choir was essentially a "Gospel" choir. Now they sing Gregorian propers often and enjoy them (for the most part). It just takes gaining trust, explaining and being enthusiastic, and really thick skin (and not taking yourself too seriously).
  • Pastor seeks musician to reform...

I'm serious, let's create an ad that they can use.
  • JamJam
    At Franciscan University, I come across the terms "Post-Vatican II types" and "pre-Vatican II types" quite often. People use it to describe one's personal preferences concerning liturgy: if you like going to the Latin Masses, you're the latter; if you like Jesus rock at Mass, you're the former. I personally hate these terms and think they're insulting to Catholics. I always ask, "has there been some new schism that I haven't heard about...?" It's one thing to say you're SSPX or something. It's another to make distinctions like that among people in communion with each other.

It reminds me of the Oriental Orthodox schism, actually. We would be the "post-Chalcedon" types whereas they would be the "pre-Chalcedon" types. Such a different idea!!
  • DougS
    Noel, for me the ideal ad reads something like this:

Parish of # families in Whoville seeks full-time music director with the following qualities: dedication to the Magisterium, experience with a wide variety of historical and contemporary repertories, ability to teach new skills to musicians at all levels, excellence in choral direction and keyboard acccompaniment. The ideal candidate will also be able to design and implement a comprehensive music catechetical program for the entire congregation. The position will lead # of choristers/choirs at # masses. Parish currently uses X hymnal. Base salary is $$,$$$ but will be commensurate with experience and education.

Under 100 words but has several key details.

"Dedication to the Magisterium" says a lot with few words and wouldn't necessarily exclude non-Catholics. It just means that you will dutifully implement what the Church teaches with regard to music.

The worst ads don't specify full- or part-time or the salary. Stating that a salary will follow (arch)diocesan "norms" is a cop out, because all diocesan norms have a caveat for "poor" parishes. And what priest doesn't think his parish isn't underfunded? If no salary is listed, there should be a real person's phone # where the information can be acquired anonymously.
  • Nicely done.
  • We Catholics appreciate that you hate these terms and how insulting they are to Catholics. Your empathy makes me ask, ever think about becoming one of us?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    My ideal job ad?

"Hi. I'm Pastor of St. Someone's Church in A Very Warm Location. I'm searching for a full time Music Director that I will pay $XXX,XXX annually and you will have the same job security that I have and a house provided for you (just like I have). I don't know anything about music, so I will put my full trust in you. I am a concert tenor, however, and want you to help me learn to sing the Mass. Let's get a martini and chat about this opportunity!"
  • DougS
    L O L (love the XXX,XXX--I thought about it in mine)
  • I realize that this is the norm, but why can't we also encourage parishes, or at least cathedrals, to hire a choral director (music director) and an organist. Most Renaissance cathedrals understood the need for the division of labor. While organists CAN direct from the organ, it is IMO never the best option. Even professional choirs have to work extra hard when there is no one to direct them w/o having to do something else at the same time. Let's encourage more f/t music jobs!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It is certainly ideal that there be several full time folks on the parish staff (A full time music director, full time organist(s), full time choir director(s), etc...), but it's not always possible money-wise.

Also there could be problems if there are just two of you and one is clearly more qualified than the other (imagine the super qualified DM having to deal with a terrible organist - "I don't know how to read a bass clef..." OR imagine the terrible DM ordering around a highly qualified organist - "don't use the pedals... play the organ like it's a piano"). Ideally a very qualified DM is hired and he/she is in charge of the hiring/selection of their choir director(s) and organist(s).
  • DougS
    Matthew, both scenarios are all too common I'm afraid.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know that having two people is always ideal. My choir used to have a director who, I think, babied them too much - and with the best of intentions. Now that I both direct and play, the choir has to work harder. It has made them sing better. It all depends on the individual circumstances as to whether or not two people are better than one.
  • GavinGavin
    Another thing I look for: qualifications. If I see they want someone highly qualified, I'll apply whether I fit those qualifications or not (still don't have my BMus yet, but I still apply for any job that requires it). Likewise, if their qualifications are "basic keyboard skills a plus", I ignore the posting.
  • DougS
    The division of labor question is tough. The demands of leading choir/s, managing office work, answering e-mail, scheduling, doing music research, etc., equal a full-time job. Add practicing the organ and it becomes more than a standard work week in my opinion.

Charles, I admire your dedication, but wouldn't it be easier not to deal with one or the other, so long as the final product stayed the same (or even improved)?
  • DougS
    Gavin, how to measure and request qualifications is difficult. A bachelor's degree doesn't tell you much about a person's performance skills or general musical abilities/knowledge. Most ads state that a bachelor's degree is desired, but that's because most people simply have no metric for judging musical skill. On the flip side, of course, a person without a music degree can be highly skilled. Job history is very important in that case, and any reasonable committee should factor the combination of education/experience.

I think my qualification of "ability to teach new skills to musicians at all levels" would attract a certain caliber candidate without necessarily requiring one degree or another. If the candidate didn't address this qualification specifically in the cover letter, I would dismiss them outright. I'd love to see Joe-Fresh-Out-of-College try to teach me something new, but I wouldn't put it past a very experienced director without a music degree to do so. You never know who might be in the choir.
  • Up until the 1950's, in the US it was uncommon for churches to hire a director/organist, since this almost always means that the person will excel at one or the other but rarely be talented equally at both.

Budgets in the late 50's made this attractive to churches.

Certain things, as Gavin states are the kiss of death to some jobs, possibly a list of definitions as to what these phrases imply would be helpful. A job description that says "must be member of NPM" may merely mean the pastor wishes to exclude those who know nothing about liturgy...a pastor who is unaware of the work of CMAA.
  • CharlesW
    "Charles, I admire your dedication, but wouldn't it be easier not to deal with one or the other, so long as the final product stayed the same (or even improved)?"

Perhaps so, but I tend to be a workaholic, to begin with. Consequently, I don't notice that I have very little free time. I tell everyone I have 4 half-time jobs - director of music, organist, librarian, and computer technology teacher. LOL. Besides, does anyone actually know of a Catholic church or school that is adequately staffed?
  • I do, Charles, saints be praised- our school has the most wonderful staff! At times I think it's the best aspect of my job. Our computer teacher, librarian, PE teacher and a good number of aides for preK-primary grades, are all on board.
    We're okay, but we're watching the economy and enrollment trends.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, you are definitely blessed. I work for a small school that has to watch pennies carefully. All of us wear many hats, but it's a great group of people. In this area, the Catholic population is somewhere around 3 and 1/2 to 4 percent, max. Given the small population and the current economy, things will likely stay the same for some time.
  • DougS
    All good points above, in my opinion. CharlesW, I'm glad there are people like you!
  • Chant, pride of place, sacred polyphony, choral program, reform of the reform and/or EF, competitive/ago salary, degreees...
    These are all words and phrases I look for when scouring announcements.

I agree that we should be going for the director plus organist model, which means hiring at least two musicians. It's funny to me that the Church's two stated styles of music are acapella, and yet for the most part we don't hire skilled singers. If we want beautiful vocal music, it seems to me we should be hiring people most capable of rendering it. Not that I advise skimping on organists, I don't.
  • DougS
    It's because churches insist on volunteer lay "ministry."

I think that's a shot in the foot when it comes to music: the good ones won't volunteer to sing in a terrible choir or one that sings terrible music.
  • LifeTeen
    Proficiency in Piano
    [the interesting phrase:] proficiency in piano, congregational and conducting

Sounds like a well manured field. What an opportunity for the right person to plant some seeds.
  • rich_enough
    "Chant, pride of place, sacred polyphony, choral program, reform of the reform and/or EF, competitive/ago salary, degreees...
    These are all words and phrases I look for when scouring announcements."

Where in the world do you find such ads?
  • Donnaswan
    It isn't Knoxville

Donna
  • Well, we were asked about magic words...
    I don't see the words I mentioned in most ads, but all words and phrases I used came out of the mouth of the pastor when he interviewed me. Yes, I still pinch myself that I have this job.

As the Church slowly regains her sense of identity, liturgical and otherwise, I see signs that music programs can develop. To be honest, I mostly still see people using outmoded or otherwise tangential terms in their ads, too.

What I find really ironic is that I work in a parish that uses the EF exclusively. Some people say that equals being stuck in 1962. And yet, what we're doing is waaaay closer to post-conciliar sacred music norms (stated in documents) than the average parish. Topsy turvy world, I guess.
  • Where in the world do you find such ads?

Sure as heck not the Providence diocese, that's for sure, with the exception of one parish that I know of.
    BMP
  • DougS
    Mum, that is a really good point about EF parishes being closer to sacred norms than the average parish.

I would attribute it to the fact that celebrating EF takes a certain liturgical consciousness that isn't present everywhere.