Chant Workshop, Silver Spring, Maryland, Sat. June 12
  • Richard R.
    The Greater Washington DC Chapter of CMAA will offer its second Workshop in Advanced Chant Performance on Saturday, June 12th, 2010, at Saint Bernadette Catholic Church, 70 University Boulevard East, Silver Spring, Maryland. Richard Rice will direct Proper chants for the Votive Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary, along with Missa Cum jubilo (Mass IX) and the solemn Salve Regina. Contact Richard K. Fitzgerald, Director of Music and Organist, for more details and to RSVP (richardkfitzgerald@gmail.com). All music will be provided, but please bring your Parish Book of Chant, if you have one.

Schedule:

9:00 - 9:30 a.m. Meet in the Msgr. Stricker room (basement of the church) for greetings, coffee, various danish/doughnuts

9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Rehearsal in Sanctuary

11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Lunch at nearby restaurant Fajita Coast (www.fajitacoastrestaurant.com)

12:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Rehearsal in Sanctuary

2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Mass in the Extraordinary Form - Msgr. K. Bartholomew Smith, celebrant
  • The Greater Washington DC Chapter of the CMAA offered a similar workshop in November 2009 and it was outstanding. Richard Rice's instruction was excellent. If there is any way that you can arrange to be there, you will not be disappointed.
  • Richard R.
    Many thanks to all who participated in the workshop and Mass at St. Bernadette, Silver Spring. Please check back for future events, or contact me to be put on our email list. Monsignor Smith suggested something in the Fall, perhaps.

Richard Rice
    canticnov@aol.com
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Richard R. for your time and effort. You truly store your reward in Heaven. We can never say enough thanks to you. And how inspriring for young people to see a church musician who is so humble and generuos to follow the Church's teachings and tradition.
    The Mass was very beautiful. I'm looking forward to the next one. And big thank you to Richard Fitzgerald who hosted this event and all other participants.
  • Phipps
    It's good for us to get together and share in the music. It was a long day and the afternoon heat didn't help. The Mass was wonderful and I love the exactness of the liturgy. Monsignor Smith was right on with his gestures and movements and the music was seamless and everything flowed serenely and sacredly. It was balm for the soul. Richard did a wonderful job and everyone was a treat to meet. I was pleased to run into Father De Rosa and get caught up. I hadn't seen his since he was newly ordained.

I wonder if we could get enough people together to do a Tomas de Victoria Mass.